Jazz drummer Jimmy Baum lived for the energy of performing

It will likely be a long time, perhaps years, before the shock of Jimmy Baum's death gives way to warm reflections on his life and music. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ellana

San Francisco, CA

#23 Oct 9, 2010
I'm so sorry for the loss of your parents and I know you loved BOTH of them but it DOES matter that your mother robbed your dad of his life, in addition to her own. People are locked up for life or given the death penalty for killing another person, regardless of how much they contributed to the world and others before doing so. It's true that this was your mother and it's only natural for you or anyone faced with this to underestimate the selfishness and horror it is when someone kills another. It's not right...and most of all, it was not fair to you, or your dad. Please understand I'm not trying to be cruel. I can only imagine what you must be going through. I hope you can be somehow comforted by warm memories and friends/family to support you.
afriend

Mountain View, CA

#24 Oct 10, 2010
jim thanks for being such a great positive person on this earth! you always inspired me to make sure i appreciate the small things in life and that PEOPLE and LOVE always come first. will see you later bud in "another day in paradise"!
alice in wonder land

Windsor, CA

#25 Oct 10, 2010
come together
Emma Gordon

Boulder Creek, CA

#26 Oct 11, 2010
I love you Parker. Ignore these negative people, they're not worth your time. Jim and Gayle were amazing people, it was an honor to know and be around both of them. Their musical talents and intelligence and all their incredible qualities will live on through their wonderful kids.
Caring Friend

Burlingame, CA

#27 Oct 16, 2010
Parker is correct..."What has happened, happened. There is no one to blame; there is no one to be mad at. None of that matters anymore."

While we are quick to judge the actions of others, we quickly forget all of our own imperfections. None of us were in the minds and shoes of Gayle or Jimmy on that tragic night. However, one can't dismiss years of family and community events that touched many lives. My heart goes out to all of the children. With time the questions of "why?" will be replaced with happy memories you shared as a family. I also hope that when you encounter sadness you will lean on each other and friends to carry you forward. Both of your parents were talented and caring in their own right.

God Bless you all.
Slugg Swinehart

San Diego, CA

#28 Oct 18, 2010
But all of the "children" are of age. They have homes, insurance policies, and all of that, I don't believe they need any donations.
If anything is donated in either of their names I believe it should be music in the schools, and or the democratic party.

Dear Alice in Wonderland, of all the posts so far, this is the most cruel and irresponsible yet. The children own no homes, there is no real estate, no insurance, no IRA, and no bucket of money for them to split up, just the furniture. They are renting expensive Santa Cruz real estate to live in, going to expensive schools, and in need of expensive counseling. For now, their needs should come before the Democratic party. There is a fund set up at Bay Federal Credit Union in case any of the readers care to give.
Mike and Donna Healey

United States

#29 Oct 18, 2010
Such a tragedy! The Healey family was very close to the Baum family growing up in Atascadero. I, Donna, sang in the high school choir directed by Jimmy's father. They were a very beautiful, talented family, well liked by all. Our love prayers go out to the family. A tremendous loss!
Jimi Bott

Portland, OR

#30 Oct 25, 2010
I just heard about Jim today and i can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that he's gone and my heart goes out to his to boys for their terrible loss. Jim was one of the first drummers I saw live in my home town of Los Gatos. He was playing with the Cool Jerks, I think it was a free out door show at the park downtown by the post office. I remember thinking "Man this guy is great!" I talked to him and he was very approachable and personal especially since i was just a young kid of 14 or 15. Many years later after becoming a professional drummer and returning to the Bay Area I found myself playing with some of the same musicians as Jim subbing for one another and I can't tell you how thrilled I was! He was always complementary and encouraging. I remember he invited me to hang out at his house one day and just by having him except me as an equal player it was one of those defining moments that made me think " I've made it! I'm hanging out with Jim Baum!" I will miss him
kind regards
Jimi Bott
coping

Monterey, CA

#31 Nov 29, 2010
Parker,
People are doing the best they can. There is a huge amount of pain for people to process and they are looking for an easy way to vent. All of this shit must be awful for you to deal with. Ignore them. Take comfort that most people knew Gayle and Jimmy's love and commitment are more than the sum total of their deaths.

My heart hurts for all of your family. Hang in there.
Bobby

San Francisco, CA

#32 Nov 29, 2010
Truly wonderful people do not murder, especially their spouse, period. If you knew and loved them, you are awash in cognitive dissonance. It's going to take a while to heal. Good luck. Seriously.
friend of Jim

Monterey, CA

#33 Nov 30, 2010
Can we start talking about domestic violence against men by women yet? I get the impression that the topic is somehow being tiptoed around. Are we worried we are going to offend someone? Are we sparing someone's feelings here or helping to stop another sensless murder and the destruction of another couple of families?

Perhaps with some education on the topic we could have saved Jim's life!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atascadero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cal Coast News Uncovers Police Corruption 11 hr Jesse Ray 3
Cal Coast News... inept, yet inaccurate Tue Paul Farley 1
HUMPA, HUMPA! A question for Karen Velie... Tue Carlton Bartender 1
San Luis Tribuene is no longer a NEWS source Tue Reggie T 16
The San Luis Tribune: Disrespects WW II Veterans Tue larry Petersen USN 1
Visiting San Luis Obispo (SHOCKER) not a good p... Tue kutToBeBroke 5
Cocaine, Heroin and Meth in San Luis Obispo-Gan... Mon George G A 20
Atascadero Dating
Find my Match

Atascadero Jobs