YOU AND THE LAW-Charging for a missed...

YOU AND THE LAW-Charging for a missed appointment

There are 16 comments on the Eureka Times Standard story from Jun 2, 2008, titled YOU AND THE LAW-Charging for a missed appointment. In it, Eureka Times Standard reports that:

Is it legal for a doctor, lawyer, CPA or most any professional to charge for a missed appointment? That was the question left on my cell phone voice mail by Sandra, who lives in Atascadero, Calif.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Eureka Times Standard.

Sterling Sorenson

Sacramento, CA

#1 Jun 3, 2008
Mr. Beaver,

If it's o.k. to charge Sandra for her missed appointment, then it's o.k. for persons to charge for their time when businesses are late on their end of appointments, like when I have an appointment with a lawyer and have to wait an hour because the lawyer is over booked. I mean get real, when is the last time a doctor, lawyer, plumber or any business person for that matter paid a customer for the time that a customer had to wait for their agreed upon services?

I'm 63 and never in my life have I received a telephone call from my lawyer, doctor, dentist or for that metter anyone I've made an appointment with to say " I'm running an hour late so please show up an hour letter than scheduled.
Much Too Typical

Alameda, CA

#2 Jun 3, 2008
Would an attorney discredit a logical question by depicting the person asking as being hopelessly mentally ill? Naw, couldn't happen.
typical government worker

Millbrae, CA

#3 Jun 3, 2008
" I tried to reason with the officer that as he and I both worked for the state, he really should not give me a ticket, even if I was doing 85 in a 55 zone. "

only someone who works for the government would think like this - what can we expect from a nation whose "president" is clearly a war criminal?
EPD mentality

Millbrae, CA

#4 Jun 3, 2008
" I tried to reason with the judge that as he and I both worked for the state, he really should not punish me for killing Cherie Moore and Chris Burgess and...."

- guilty EPD Officers
Yeah

Eureka, CA

#5 Jun 3, 2008
Not a typical government worker, a typical mentally ill person.
There is a difference...
Masked Patriot

United States

#6 Jun 3, 2008
Fake. You have now 3 credibility points left. Play again?
Ralph Thurman

Eureka, CA

#7 Jun 3, 2008
No I dont agree that missing an appointment should cost money, beside have you ever went to a doctor office and went right in at the time of your appointment? Not me infact there always one or two people ahead of you anyways. They bank on someone not showing up thats why you have people ahead of you, they dont pay for your waiting time. Your time should be worth more then a thank you for waiting, But its not so the words im sorry should be good enought instead of a 50,100,200.00 bill. Thanks I feel better now .lol [email protected]
Hank E Panky

Amity, OR

#8 Jun 3, 2008
There's a man packin heat out on a So Hum Funny Farm that would love to join her.
Hank E Panky

Amity, OR

#9 Jun 3, 2008
Just tell him Sandra'a there and he'll follow like a horse to food.
argumentum

AOL

#10 Jun 3, 2008
Ridiculing the mentally ill is not as funny as Mr. Beaver thinks it is.
Heather Jimenez

Eureka, CA

#11 Jun 3, 2008
Great story.
Heather Jimenez

Eureka, CA

#12 Jun 3, 2008
EPD mentality wrote:
" I tried to reason with the judge that as he and I both worked for the state, he really should not punish me for killing Cherie Moore and Chris Burgess and...."
- guilty EPD Officers
Oh please give it a rest... You are dumb.
Heather Jimenez

Eureka, CA

#13 Jun 3, 2008
argumentum wrote:
Ridiculing the mentally ill is not as funny as Mr. Beaver thinks it is.
Relating a story is not ridicule... Its just funny-
Downtownbrown

Eureka, CA

#14 Jun 4, 2008
Heather Jimenez wrote:
<quoted text>
Relating a story is not ridicule... Its just funny-
Sandra was spending too much time hanging around the 'Mary-Wowy' dispensaries in Arcata.
LOL

San Mateo, CA

#15 Jun 4, 2008
What an unprofessional attitude.
Dale Tristan

Raleigh, NC

#17 Jul 13, 2010
Businesses should absolutely charge for missed appointments! People should learn when they make an appointment for a service that they are taking away that opportunity from someone else. Because of this, the price of the services increase for the business to be able to stay open. Even though the person may have not used the services, the advisor still needs to get paid for his time. In my line of business, people routinely miss appointments, even when they have been reminded the same day. It really comes down to personal responsibility, and tells alot about you. It also has to do with demographics.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atascadero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terminally Ill Man (JOHN BLACK)SLO-DA, SLO-Judg... Apr 22 Cho 8
San Luis Police Abuses Apr 21 Gene 1
News Brown names Laird as Resource Agency chief (Jan '11) Apr 18 wmcnatt 8
News SLO County medical examiner accused of misconduct Apr 17 Doolittle 2
SLO District Attorney suspect in False cases Apr 16 James P 1
News Prosecutor's error leads to reversal of Cambria... Apr 16 Willy 3
Football/Directv/Superbowl Jan '17 Medusa 1

Atascadero Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance