Dan Haifley, Our Ocean Backyard: Stor...

Dan Haifley, Our Ocean Backyard: Storm water has wide-ranging effects

There are 6 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 2, 2008, titled Dan Haifley, Our Ocean Backyard: Storm water has wide-ranging effects. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Atascadero, Santa Maria and Santa Cruz don't have it yet. Neither do Santa Clara or Santa Cruz counties.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

No on Measure E

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 2, 2008
Measure E is intentionally vague and unspecific new taxing law which will create a new $700,000 PERMANENT yearly city new slush fund for favored nonprofits' salaries like Dan's @ ONeill Sea Odessey, Save Our Shores, Coastal Watershed Council, etc..There already is a tax and $700,000 yearly fund for this runoff which has already been misallocated and misspent once by the city council. Now, Mayor Coonerty hurriedly writes and backs this and they all cry for more? This is such an obvious ploy for more unfettered funding for these squanderers. How can we trust them to use this money appropriately? An oversight group of who? Please!
Good governance requires your vigilance and critical examination of what's really going on here. Don't be taken in by this. There's no rush as SC is way out in front of all other communities on this. Demand financial responsibility and specific laws which specifically detail how these new taxes will be spent! Mayor Coonerty is an attorney. He could do better and write a more specific law, if that was his real intention. This guy is pretty smooth, shifty, and slick for a 34 y/o, eh?
Demand good government from these people w/ your No vote.
Make them come back w/ a well crated specific measure.
Measure E

Santa Cruz, CA

#2 Nov 2, 2008
What does it actually pay for? We all want clean water, but it seems kinda vague to me.
What would Obama tell us

San Francisco, CA

#3 Nov 2, 2008
Measure E wrote:
What does it actually pay for? We all want clean water, but it seems kinda vague to me.
Well?
howmuch

Los Gatos, CA

#4 Nov 2, 2008
So it doesn't rain here all summer and the bad stuff accumulates for months. Then the first rain moves all the bad stuff to the ocean all at once. How about a report about the second rain and beyond?
slightly salty

San Francisco, CA

#5 Nov 2, 2008
I think we do need something like Measure E, but that it needs restructuring. It doesn't make sense to create a tax where all property owners pay the same amount for storm water pollution regardless of the size and type of their property. If you have a very small property you obviously should pay less than someone who has a very large property. If you have a xeriscape rather than a lawn it should matter. If a major percentage of your large property is paved with nonporous surface you should pay more. In other words there should be incentives for greening up your property and the more impact you have the more you should pay. I say send Measure E back for an overhaul
George

Foster City, CA

#6 Nov 2, 2008
The underlying concepts is perhaps analogous to washing ones car. The car represents the built environment from roadways, rooftops, parking lots and other paved areas and the hose represents rainfall. While it is intuitive that the built environment is perhaps covered in the waste from mans built environment how much is neither a constant or quantifiable. Engineers have never been ask to treat storm water but merely to get it to the streams and eliminate flooding. So we are dealing with a legacy that was never meant to address treating storm water similar to toilet water.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atascadero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mayor's Task Force On Youth Safety Gets to Work... May 25 Paquito 1
RV water May 24 Ray Ray 1
SLO District Attoreny DOW throws elderly under ... May 23 Big Bob 3
News High School Teacher Who Said Gay People 'Deserv... May 19 DaveinMass 39
SLO has a new Judge Coates May 18 TBS 1
DON'T Live or Move to San Luis Obispo - Unless ... (Apr '08) May 8 Terry805 95
San Luis Police Abuses May 4 anglo persecution 3

Atascadero Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance