Wal-Mart Buys Land in Atascadero

July 6, 2006 ATASCADERO -- It's official. Wal-Mart has purchased land in one Central Coast city with the intention of building a Wal-Mart Super Center there. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Susan Stewart

AOL

#1 Jul 7, 2006
There is no worse idea than the idea of Wal-Mart. This store has no character, and will bring nothing with it to distinguish Atascadero from 1000 other towns across the country. It's ugly. But the most important part of this is what Wal-mart policies are doing to American manufacturing and jobs.
You take an American shoe manufacturer: Because of competition from Walmart and other big box stores, many shoe stores have already gone out of business. If a manufacturer wants to sell to Walmart, they insist on such low prices that American manufacturers (if they want to stay in business at all) are forced to let all their American workers go, and begin to manufacture in China with a much cheaper work force. Now all those American workers are out of work. It happens over and over again, until there are no mom and pop shops left here in America and the only place to shop is Walmart. Fine with Walmart as the thing they hate the most is competition.
S HOWELL

Glasgow, KY

#2 Jul 12, 2006
Wal-Mart is an economic disaster for local communities. Everywhere they pop up, local business go out of business. They don't truly contribute to any community. Their wages are low, the type of people they hire are, well Wal-Mart quality. Remember, you get what you pay for. You pay for cheap, you get cheap. They pay low wages, they get low quality employees,and the consumer gets low quality service.
Wal-Mart is quickly monopolizing the country, Atascadero, fight for your community, and do not allow Wal-Mart in and devaluize your community.
Elma Tawalmares

San Luis Obispo, CA

#3 Aug 9, 2006
Wal-Mart will ruin your community; the property values in our town when dowm within five years... We got a pizza hut express, an olve garden and a Hometown Buffet...yipppeeeeeeee!!!!!!
Namless

Gilroy, CA

#4 Sep 4, 2006
A super Walmart store will rock
OldTimer

United States

#5 Sep 8, 2006
The only shopping in Atascadero, Ca., is K-Mart, and the Factory Outlet.
Where in the heck do you buy anything other than K-Mart, and the Outlet?
Debbie B

United States

#6 Sep 9, 2006
I would be very happy to see a Wal-Mart store in the Atascadero area.
Ray

Prescott, AZ

#7 Nov 18, 2006
Just what we need: Another place to fuel our addiction to cheap, mostly unneeded, imported crap. Viva American consumerism!!!
slonative58

United States

#8 Nov 20, 2006
No on Walmart for Atascadero! We already have big box stores thus driving out the locals. Paso Robles has a Walmart there, so go there and do your shopping, but I think Walmart SUCKS, slave wages, and low quality merchandise that you can buy from China!~
Keith

Culbertson, NE

#9 Jun 17, 2007
Debbie B wrote:
I would be very happy to see a Wal-Mart store in the Atascadero area.
Why???? You have one in Paso!!!
CindyLouWho

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 8, 2007
Susan Stewart wrote:
There is no worse idea than the idea of Wal-Mart. This store has no character, and will bring nothing with it to distinguish Atascadero from 1000 other towns across the country. It's ugly. But the most important part of this is what Wal-mart policies are doing to American manufacturing and jobs.
You take an American shoe manufacturer: Because of competition from Walmart and other big box stores, many shoe stores have already gone out of business. If a manufacturer wants to sell to Walmart, they insist on such low prices that American manufacturers (if they want to stay in business at all) are forced to let all their American workers go, and begin to manufacture in China with a much cheaper work force. Now all those American workers are out of work. It happens over and over again, until there are no mom and pop shops left here in America and the only place to shop is Walmart. Fine with Walmart as the thing they hate the most is competition.
O.K, It has been a year since you posted your thoughts. I am interested in knowing how many times you have shopped at Wal-Mart in Paso Robles over the last year, Especially at Christmas Time. or Target or K-Mart, purchasing at a chain store over making a purchase at any local Mom and Pop Shop?
Mindful

Atascadero, CA

#11 Jul 10, 2007
I happen to like WalMart. I personally know people employed by WalMart and they are fine citizens. My local store is clean, people are helpful, and I save money, which we know is almost impossible to do on the central coast.
Aarron

Chowchilla, CA

#12 Jul 11, 2007
walmart is good for economy. walmart's ethics suck though. that's the issue. there are many America started companies that have been forced to Mexico or China. Check out this book' "The Bully of Bentonville..." I used to live in Bentonville, AR
Howie

Ripon, WI

#13 Nov 1, 2007
Walmart is taking away all of our choices. They drive everyone elese out. Are we really this stupid? Walmart is reporting when we run out of money along with a detailed list of everything we do while we shop at their heavily survailenced building. They determine a lot of how we decorate our homes what we buy for christmas gifts,what we eat(brandwise),and even what jobs are available since so many local small businesses have to close. We are giving up our own freedom in many ways by shopping there. As I read earlier most of their "cheap" merchandise is made in china. Is this really what we want to do? Slowly and as they sneak along we are giving up everything so many Americans have and even now are dying for. This is what our children are learning. Walmart is laughing all the way to the bank and to the throne of power.

There should be a minium percentage of merchandise that is made in USA. If they can not meet that minimum howabout a charge of some kind? The proceeds to be contributed to social security for instance. If that doesn"t work then If at least 50 % doesn't come from US they have to be called an import store and again contribute to something like unemployment in order to business here. Otherwise scram!!!!!!!!!!
rusty

Santa Maria, CA

#14 Mar 17, 2008
why do you think theres a big red star in the middle of the walmart name.Com munism is here to stay .The chinese are going to take us without a shot fired.just keep watch on that big screen t.v.and sitting in that china made lazyboy chair.
john

Atascadero, CA

#15 Aug 7, 2008
Let paso robles have the taxes from walmart,the city of atascadero has extra money. just think of all the weeds that will be killed,they have rights too.yes paso keeps the taxes atascadero keeps the weeds
John

San Luis Obispo, CA

#16 Aug 22, 2008
yes with Walmart Down with Harold and Comar.
It's easy for a nurese practitioner at Atascadero State Hospital to say "Oh we Don't need the doscounts'. I don't see him volunteering to buy our kids food and clothing.
Paco

San Luis Obispo, CA

#17 Aug 22, 2008
yeah, I think the sun's gotten into Tom's brain or something.
Keith

United States

#18 Aug 24, 2008
I love to hear people bitch and complain and then shop there anyway. Those are the same people who bitch about high gas prices and then gun the gas pedal to the floor to get to the next light!

If people weren't sheep and actually thought for themselves, we wouldn't be in this predicament...
Jim

Jersey City, NJ

#20 Aug 25, 2008
Wal-mart will bring more illegal aliens to Atascadero.
Lynn

Atascadero, CA

#21 Sep 14, 2008
I think that a Walmart Super store is what this area needs. There are a lot of Seniors that cant afford the run away pricing of other stores. there are a lot of people becoming seniors and we need to watch our pennys. Retirement is expensive for people on social security.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atascadero Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cal Coast News Broke the AJ Santana Story Tue Public Integrity ... 1
Mary Malone is Lyn Hill Tue Steve 3
News Alert " Summer Johnson" exposed Mon Paul W 2
public corruption slo Mon Jerry Fertig 2
'Walk-Away' From Mental-Health Facility Found Safe Dec 21 rbeste 1
paso robles police engaged in corrupt activity Dec 21 Smiling to the Bank 3
SLO TASK FORCE REVEALED Summer Johnson IS Exposed Dec 20 Police Misconduct... 1

Freeze Warning for San Luis Obispo County was issued at December 25 at 2:24AM PST

Atascadero Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Atascadero People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Atascadero News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Atascadero

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:26 am PST