The Tayvon Martin Jury Verdict Highli...

The Tayvon Martin Jury Verdict Highlights the Injustice Minorities Like Fil-Ams Face

There are 109 comments on the www.philnews.com story from Jul 15, 2013, titled The Tayvon Martin Jury Verdict Highlights the Injustice Minorities Like Fil-Ams Face. In it, www.philnews.com reports that:

Two words “not guilty” from the six-person jury at the Sanford, Florida courthouse where George Zimmerman stood accused of killing seventeen year old black teenager Trayvon Martin has sent shockwaves of disbelief across America. For minority communities like Filipino-Americans, that verdict is painfully difficult to accept. For although the United States has come a long way in race relations—even electing its first black president—there is still an undercurrent of racism that pervades suburban communities where minority teenage boys are instinctively “profiled” as troublemakers and juvenile delinquents ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.philnews.com.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Tony Norona

Toronto, Canada

#1 Jul 15, 2013
There's justive for the rich and justice for the poor and minorities.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#2 Jul 15, 2013
Maybe you should drive in some hood like Detroit.
Gary Indiana is another good example. Whine about being poor but don't try to clean up their own ghetto or make it better. Most Filipinos in the city's try to live outside of the Hoods knowing it's not safe for their kids.
nyg

Burlington, Canada

#3 Jul 15, 2013
Trayvon was beating the sh!t out of Zimmerman. This isn't like Jeff Reodica who was shot in the back by a plains clothes officer in Toronto a few years ago...
Ozzy

Hudson, NY

#4 Jul 15, 2013
No matter your opinion on this case, this article is a bunch of BS. Why are Fil-Amer even comparing themselves with this case?

I rarely hear of any racial discrimination on Asians in the US. Im not saying it doesnt happen but this article is completely ridiculous.

If this guy had killed a white or hispanic kid, there would not be all this screaming and yelling. A situation occurred and sadly a young man lost his life. That's it. This was not a race crime.
heresssssssssss kenny

Cavite City, Philippines

#5 Jul 15, 2013
Ozzy wrote:
No matter your opinion on this case, this article is a bunch of BS. Why are Fil-Amer even comparing themselves with this case?
I rarely hear of any racial discrimination on Asians in the US. Im not saying it doesnt happen but this article is completely ridiculous.
If this guy had killed a white or hispanic kid, there would not be all this screaming and yelling. A situation occurred and sadly a young man lost his life. That's it. This was not a race crime.
Of course had he not been taking a shortcut through a PRIVATE subdivision this would never have happened .
lol

San Francisco, CA

#6 Jul 15, 2013
Ozzy wrote:
I agree with you Ozzy. Will pray for the repose of the soul of this young man and for fast healing of those involved especially the parents.

Since: Jul 13

Location hidden

#7 Jul 15, 2013
I've only been in Florida for a few months but from what I can see, it's the blacks and the media who are destroying race relations in this country.

Teenage blacks get robbed, beaten and/or murdered every day here by other blacks and its hardly noteworthy. It only seems to be a huge ordeal when a non-black kills a black, and then regardless of the actual curcumstances.

I don't appreciate this author making a connection between Fil-Am and African Americans. All of the Fil-Am I met here are trying very hard to assimilate into the suburban model of hard work, education and playing by the rules. From what I can see, this is not the goal of majority of blacks.

This is from my limited perspective, but it's what I see here daily. While I believe everyone is equal and entitled to equal rights, I also believe that you reap what you sew.
Ozzy

Hudson, NY

#8 Jul 15, 2013
Good points, Maricel. Most black crime is black on black. Then if it is anyone else on black, they scream it being a race crime. I see it in Albany, NY area as well.

Recently near Albany, NY, a young black child was hit and killed in the street by a car. It was in a predominate black area. So the black community gets together and screams that the city does not care about the blacks because they did not put a stop light where the child was hit by a car. How about you watch your freakin kid and not let them run the streets and that wont happen!? For YEARS there was no issue with that corner.

The cries of racism is getting tiring here in the US. This country has come a long ways and even voted in a black president not once but twice. So enough of the garbage. Enough of the excuses.

I dont think I have ever even seen any Asian race crime mentioned on the news where I live. And there is plenty of an Asian population. I know it is the same in Florida too.

Again, Im not saying that racism is not happening because it is all over not just in the US but in the world.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#9 Jul 15, 2013
Maricel Ramos wrote:
I've only been in Florida for a few months but from what I can see, it's the blacks and the media who are destroying race relations in this country.
Teenage blacks get robbed, beaten and/or murdered every day here by other blacks and its hardly noteworthy. It only seems to be a huge ordeal when a non-black kills a black, and then regardless of the actual curcumstances.
I don't appreciate this author making a connection between Fil-Am and African Americans. All of the Fil-Am I met here are trying very hard to assimilate into the suburban model of hard work, education and playing by the rules. From what I can see, this is not the goal of majority of blacks.
This is from my limited perspective, but it's what I see here daily. While I believe everyone is equal and entitled to equal rights, I also believe that you reap what you sew.
You nailed it....Black's criminal activity and a race-baiting media is a volatile combination...Our Congress need's to take a big look at how people like Nancy Grace, Martin Bashier and Jane Velez Mitchell...CNN,NBC,HLN and MSNBC all totally Pro-Trayvon and Lynchmob on George, since this story started Feb, 2012....Plus, Questionable Black Leaders, need to both pick their battles better and take responsibility for their Manufactured Outrage.....There....Hand me the Fritos....lol....
heressssssssssss s kenny

Cavite City, Philippines

#10 Jul 15, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text> You nailed it....Black's criminal activity and a race-baiting media is a volatile combination...Our Congress need's to take a big look at how people like Nancy Grace, Martin Bashier and Jane Velez Mitchell...CNN,NBC,HLN and MSNBC all totally Pro-Trayvon and Lynchmob on George, since this story started Feb, 2012....Plus, Questionable Black Leaders, need to both pick their battles better and take responsibility for their Manufactured Outrage.....There....Hand me the Fritos....lol....
Haha Nancy Grace -the only woman i would really like to punch in the face hehe.
lol

San Francisco, CA

#11 Jul 15, 2013
there is a big rally going on in Oakland coupled with some smashings of windows.....poor Oakland, if this continuous, no business man will open business, either they will close or leave Oakland.
nyg

Burlington, Canada

#12 Jul 15, 2013
MSNBC especially!

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/...

Quote:

In a published report bylined " msnbc.com Staff and NBC News," a quote attributed to Trayvon Martin shooter George Zimmerman, appears to be purposefully distorted by the left to read as though Zimmerman is a racist. A full reading of the transcript of the quoted 911 call suggests nothing of the kind. Here's what MSNBC staff and NBC News published.

“This guy looks like he’s up to no good … he looks black,” Zimmerman told a police dispatcher from his car. His father has said that Zimmerman is Hispanic, grew up in a multiracial family, and is not racist.

The quote gives the impression Zimmerman was somehow equating the fact that Martin was black with his looking suspicious, or "up to no good." Here is what MSNBC/NBC News left out thanks to a convenient ellipsis.

ZIMMERMAN: This guy looks like he's up to no good,[begin ellipsis] or he's on drugs or something. It's raining and he's just walking around, looking about.

911 DISPATCHER: Okay, is this guy, is he white, black, or Hispanic?[end ellipsis]

ZIMMERMAN: He looks black.
amcummer

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Jul 15, 2013
So the blacks are acting like they are untouchables despite them perpetrators of crime which brings to mind the Chinese, the chinks invade and occupy and poached all the territories spews an obvious greed big lie but they accuse PH to be unfairly denying them of their stupid crooked BS 9 dash lie. Samo samo miserable souls..

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#14 Jul 15, 2013
heresssssssssssss kenny wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha Nancy Grace -the only woman i would really like to punch in the face hehe.
Can't believe someone has'nt sighted in a new hunting rifle, on her by now......She is the absolute bottom of the barrel.....
amcummer

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jul 15, 2013
I never really have any idea as to what transpired on the trial as to how it all started and what prompted the shooting but yet it is a fact that if it would have been a black shooting a real innocent non threat black it would not be so publicized. This case is certainly racially politically motivated.

Location hidden

#16 Jul 15, 2013
amcummer wrote:
I never really have any idea as to what transpired on the trial as to how it all started and what prompted the shooting but yet it is a fact that if it would have been a black shooting a real innocent non threat black it would not be so publicized. This case is certainly racially politically motivated.
I was not here when it started but I'm told that it was clearly self-denfense from the very start. It was so clear cut that the man was not even charge for some time... until the protests and cries of racism got out of hand. The police felt pressured to bring charges even though there was no evidence to convict. It just waste so much time and money and slow the system for those who need justice.
amcummer

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jul 15, 2013
Maricel Ramos wrote:
<quoted text>
I was not here when it started but I'm told that it was clearly self-denfense from the very start. It was so clear cut that the man was not even charge for some time... until the protests and cries of racism got out of hand. The police felt pressured to bring charges even though there was no evidence to convict. It just waste so much time and money and slow the system for those who need justice.
I know someone a harmless Filipino bakla (no offense intended) got beaten and killed by 3 blacks but I don't know the degree of threat on Zimmerman that made him go for his gun, was he on immediate danger of getting killed or not.

Location hidden

#18 Jul 15, 2013
amcummer wrote:
<quoted text> I know someone a harmless Filipino bakla (no offense intended) got beaten and killed by 3 blacks but I don't know the degree of threat on Zimmerman that made him go for his gun, was he on immediate danger of getting killed or not.
I'm not the best source for this but I understand Mr. Z had a broken nose and a gash on his head. I can't say his life was threatened with certainity but he WAS apparently getting beat up.
lol

San Francisco, CA

#19 Jul 15, 2013
@nbcbayarea
Property damaged, American flag burned in Oakland after protests broke out due to #Zimmerman acquittal.#Newthismorning @christies_nbc
lol

San Francisco, CA

#20 Jul 15, 2013
Trayvon Martin shooting: what has happened and who is George Zimmerman?
George Zimmerman
AP Photo, Orange County Jail via The Miami Herald, File
12/04/2012 By Andy Young

The shooting of Trayvon Martin in Florida has created headlines around the world raised a huge furore in the United States.

After weeks of mounting tension and protest in the US, George Zimmerman has now been arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

But what happened and what has been the reaction? MSN answers these and other questions.

What happened to Trayvon Martin?
Trayvon Martin, 17, was shot dead on a private gated estate in Sanford, near Orlando, Florida. He was shot by George Zimmerman, who patrolled the community in his self-appointed role for neighbourhood watch, armed - legally - with a 9mm semi-automatic pistol.

Zimmerman claims he thought Martin, who was black and unarmed, was acting suspiciously and assumed that he was a prowler. Zimmerman confirmed these suspicions in a phone call to police; the 911 dispatcher told Zimmerman that there was no need to follow the teenager. He chose to ignore that advice.

Martin was walking back to his father's girlfriend's house after nipping out to buy sweets and a soft drink.

After a confrontation between the two men Zimmerman shot Martin.

Happened next?
That is the subject of huge debate in the United States. There are reports of a voice crying out for help, two shots and then silence; there are also claims that Zimmerman made a racial slur during the phone call, although others have disputed this allegation.

Zimmerman claims that after getting out of his car to follow the teenager, he lost sight of Martin. As he walked back to his car Zimmerman said he was attacked and he and Martin started fighting. Zimmerman said Martin punched him in the face and slammed his head on the ground; at some point Zimmerman pulled out his gun and shot Martin, he told police it was self-defence."

tmore....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Filipino-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News At hidden CK's Hot Shoppe in Central City, disc... May '16 SeanOsorioLee 1
Mother-in-law (Dec '14) May '16 Observer 4
News Asian Heritage Month Lecture and Roundtable: Fi... May '16 less pay eh 1
News Hong Kong's Filipino community rooting for form... May '16 SeanOsorioLee 1
News Filipino community recognised as - Best' May '16 SeanOsorioLee 5
News Four Filipinos seek legislative seats in Manitoba Apr '16 Go Blue Forever 1
News Lopez, veteran immigration lawyer, dies in car ... Apr '16 BONG LOPEZ 1
More from around the web