Why are asian Americans smart and suc...

Why are asian Americans smart and successful?

Created by Curtis Lowe on Jun 1, 2008

2,299 votes

Click on an option to vote

Strong sense of family

Great work ethic

Success before pride

Limited psycho baggage

Quiet, but persistent

They keep life simple

Not afraid to take risks

Shrewd negotiators

No chip on their shoulders

No sense of entitlement

First Prev
of 22
Next Last
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#1 Jun 1, 2008
I grew up in a city that got a lot of refugees from Cambodia and Vietnam in the late 70s. I watched these folks work their way up from absolutely nothing to prominent positions in the community. Most could not speak any english when they arrived. How did they do it?

1. Family: Some had 3 or four families living in the same home. They pooled their resources and started a business. When they could afford a new home, one of the families moved into it. Then they started another business and another family moved out on their own. All the time, they continued to work together and use their assets to further the success of their family.

2. Focus on goals: No TVs, no 100 dollar pairs of shoes, no designer jeans, etc. Public transportation, bicycles, etc. They saved and invested wisely to achieve their goals.

3. Public Education: They sent their children to our public schools. At first, the kids were in the special education classes because they did not speak the language. But a year after I graduated, one of them was class valedictorian. In four years, they went from sitting with the special needs kids, to smartest in the school. Maybe because they did not have the TV at home?

4. No chip on their shoulders: These people were as humble as you will find. They did not care what others thought of them. They did not feel they were owed anything. In fact, most were probably extremely grateful for the opportunities that were now available to them.

5. Assimilation: They did not become fat, lazy Americans, but they worked their tails off to become honest, hard-working Americans. They learned the language, learned the history, learned how to fit in, and learned how to be leaders in their communities.

Americans could learn alot from immigrants. Not just the "Boat People", but from the Irish, Italian, Polish, German who came to America 100 years ago. They all had one thing in common. They were grateful for the opportunities America made available to them.

“It's a dog's life”

Since: Jan 08

Amish Country

#2 Jun 1, 2008
Actually I would say "all of the above".

(Is this really you, Curtis? Praise and admiration?)
sue

AOL

#3 Jun 1, 2008
Many Asians are extremely competitive and want the best of everything. They will push academics on their kids so they will beat every other nationality. Yes, they are racist but they are very quiet about it. In the business world they can be ruthless and you would never know it. They are very clever. They have an inner drive to win at all costs. You won't see this as much in biracial families.
sue

AOL

#4 Jun 1, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
I grew up in a city that got a lot of refugees from Cambodia and Vietnam in the late 70s. I watched these folks work their way up from absolutely nothing to prominent positions in the community. Most could not speak any english when they arrived. How did they do it?
1. Family: Some had 3 or four families living in the same home. They pooled their resources and started a business. When they could afford a new home, one of the families moved into it. Then they started another business and another family moved out on their own. All the time, they continued to work together and use their assets to further the success of their family.
2. Focus on goals: No TVs, no 100 dollar pairs of shoes, no designer jeans, etc. Public transportation, bicycles, etc. They saved and invested wisely to achieve their goals.
3. Public Education: They sent their children to our public schools. At first, the kids were in the special education classes because they did not speak the language. But a year after I graduated, one of them was class valedictorian. In four years, they went from sitting with the special needs kids, to smartest in the school. Maybe because they did not have the TV at home?
4. No chip on their shoulders: These people were as humble as you will find. They did not care what others thought of them. They did not feel they were owed anything. In fact, most were probably extremely grateful for the opportunities that were now available to them.
5. Assimilation: They did not become fat, lazy Americans, but they worked their tails off to become honest, hard-working Americans. They learned the language, learned the history, learned how to fit in, and learned how to be leaders in their communities.
Americans could learn alot from immigrants. Not just the "Boat People", but from the Irish, Italian, Polish, German who came to America 100 years ago. They all had one thing in common. They were grateful for the opportunities America made available to them.
They receive their support from their network. They don't give a crap what everyone else thinks. I agree with your observations.

Asians dominate the best colleges and univerisites in California. They usually surpass everyone in academics.
andet1987

United States

#6 Jun 1, 2008
inventors
Working Mom

Colorado Springs, CO

#7 Jun 1, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
You're absolutely correct Curtis.
Working Mom

Colorado Springs, CO

#8 Jun 1, 2008
o All the above voting options.
asian girl

Abang, Philippines

#9 Sep 12, 2008
"if asians are smart, why is it that they have not landed on the moon ? why is it that every year, the whites always receive the Nobel Prize in different categories ? why is it that the best jeopardy contestant is a white, ken jennings ? why is it that the whites are the greatest invetors ? why is it that the whites are the world's superpower?"

the asians have not landed on the moon cuz they are busy repairing the devastation that you whites have done when you colonized and raped countries like india, honkong, china,philippines, Indonesia, cambodia, etc etc etc.

only whites always win in the Nobel because Nobel is a white man's turf. Same with Olympics. Look what you have just done to Beijing Olympics---the IOC has put rules that no country could ever again lavish that much for the Olympics. London and other Western countries are way too scared to to be overshadowed. You don't play fair. When you can't win, you change the rules.

the whites are the greatest inventors? that has nothing to do with your being white. Europe was in the clutches of the black plague and your lands were ravaged by wars by popes, kings and barbarians during the middle ages, while China's civilization was flourishing during the Tang Dynasty. Europe rose for the same reasons that Asia is rising now: feudalism was destroyed and individuals discovered their potential and capacity for greatness.

You whites had your time.the 21st cenutry is the Asian Century. When can you get over yourselves and give the other 4/5 of the world a chance? You WERE the superpower, but by 2020 at the latest, China will already the nation to contend with by the rest of hte world. Not including India and Korea and Japan.

god is imaginary friend

Okotoks, Canada

#10 Sep 12, 2008
andet1987 wrote:
if asians are smart, why is it that they have not landed on the moon ?
LOL
why the F would any smart person want to go to the moon??
theres nothing there!
QuestionX

Bennettsville, SC

#11 Sep 12, 2008
Because they r taught in American university?.
Dex

United States

#12 Sep 13, 2008
They were smart enough to figure out it was time to bail out of Asia and successful enough to get here.

The dumb and/or the losers are still in Asia.

Which process also explains the lack of spark in modern Europe. We got all of them worth having, too, and the left-overs are left over there!

The only ones unhappy to be here are those who were brought here by force and don't have the heart to stay here or guts to go back. Don't hate them, pity them!
bubu

Yucca Valley, CA

#13 Oct 8, 2008
they really push their kids. i mean really. i should know
Lou

United States

#14 Oct 8, 2008
asian girl wrote:
"if asians are smart, why is it that they have not landed on the moon ? why is it that every year, the whites always receive the Nobel Prize in different categories ? why is it that the best jeopardy contestant is a white, ken jennings ? why is it that the whites are the greatest invetors ? why is it that the whites are the world's superpower?"
the asians have not landed on the moon cuz they are busy repairing the devastation that you whites have done when you colonized and raped countries like india, honkong, china,philippines, Indonesia, cambodia, etc etc etc.
only whites always win in the Nobel because Nobel is a white man's turf. Same with Olympics. Look what you have just done to Beijing Olympics---the IOC has put rules that no country could ever again lavish that much for the Olympics. London and other Western countries are way too scared to to be overshadowed. You don't play fair. When you can't win, you change the rules.
the whites are the greatest inventors? that has nothing to do with your being white. Europe was in the clutches of the black plague and your lands were ravaged by wars by popes, kings and barbarians during the middle ages, while China's civilization was flourishing during the Tang Dynasty. Europe rose for the same reasons that Asia is rising now: feudalism was destroyed and individuals discovered their potential and capacity for greatness.
You whites had your time.the 21st cenutry is the Asian Century. When can you get over yourselves and give the other 4/5 of the world a chance? You WERE the superpower, but by 2020 at the latest, China will already the nation to contend with by the rest of hte world. Not including India and Korea and Japan.
So much for the "no chip on their shoulders" option.
Sankaii

Littleton, CO

#15 Nov 2, 2008
Not all Asian are smart and not all white girl are dumb. If you work hard and believing in yourself, you can become "smart" and successful. There are nothing that human can't do. Trust me, i has met a lot of dumb Asians.
Lou

Nashville, NC

#18 Nov 3, 2008
asian girl wrote:
You WERE the superpower, but by 2020 at the latest, China will already the nation to contend with by the rest of hte world. Not including India and Korea and Japan.
The United States has a GDP larger than China's and India's combined. The leadership in China is not changing with their economy, so they will be headed to serious troubles and will respond by adopting a hard-line Soviet style of government, leading to their collapse. India has massive poverty problems, way to much to consider them a future superpower. Japan has no standing military other than a self-defense force, and North and South Korea's military budget isnt even a fraction of the United State's. If anything, the future superpower would be a united Europe in the EU, not Asia.
Lou

Nashville, NC

#19 Nov 3, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
Damn straight. But Americans dont want to work. They want to emulate the lazy-asses with a chip on their shoulder and demand handouts. Even the immigrants in this day and age are so freaking lazy that they dont even go through the proper immigration process.
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#20 Nov 3, 2008
Lou wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn straight. But Americans dont want to work. They want to emulate the lazy-asses with a chip on their shoulder and demand handouts. Even the immigrants in this day and age are so freaking lazy that they dont even go through the proper immigration process.
Yup,
The American worker is quicly becoming a dinosaur. Wonder where all the revenue will come from when the state makes it easier to stay home than go to work?
Sarah

O Fallon, IL

#21 Nov 3, 2008
I'm a little surpristed Curtis started a thread I actually agree with him on. Immigrants come from so little, what may look like small opportunites to them are really large ones and they know how to take advantage.

I am an asian girl born and raised as a AF brat my whole youth life. Moving about 6 times in my school life. All I can say is I grew to respect hard work and teachers. I always did my best no matter what circumstances. To this day I work for major company doing tecnical project work and I love it. I know that I am smarter than the average worker, but I also know being global...there are a lot of great minds out there. We are a diverse company and for us that seems to work well. Poeple know their strengths and weeknesses and when a company can tap into that from long term employees, they benefit in more ways that just one. I love my company. They are planning a trickle up effect this year. I can wait to see how they handle the market becuase they are right most of the time. They are one smart company. Adapting to change is nothing knew for a brand that been around for over 100 years.
Curtis Lowe

Montgomery, AL

#22 Nov 3, 2008
Sarah wrote:
I'm a little surpristed Curtis started a thread I actually agree with him on. Immigrants come from so little, what may look like small opportunites to them are really large ones and they know how to take advantage.
I am an asian girl born and raised as a AF brat my whole youth life. Moving about 6 times in my school life. All I can say is I grew to respect hard work and teachers. I always did my best no matter what circumstances. To this day I work for major company doing tecnical project work and I love it. I know that I am smarter than the average worker, but I also know being global...there are a lot of great minds out there. We are a diverse company and for us that seems to work well. Poeple know their strengths and weeknesses and when a company can tap into that from long term employees, they benefit in more ways that just one. I love my company. They are planning a trickle up effect this year. I can wait to see how they handle the market becuase they are right most of the time. They are one smart company. Adapting to change is nothing knew for a brand that been around for over 100 years.
I don't see why people don't agree with all my threads. I am smarter than anyone and I routinely speak for all Americans.
Cherianne

Boksburg, South Africa

#23 Nov 3, 2008
Curtis Lowe wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see why people don't agree with all my threads. I am smarter than anyone and I routinely speak for all Americans.
Oh my word Curtis, you don't change do you! So full of yourself. You make me laugh.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 22
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Asian-American Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The real reasons the U.S. became less racist to... 1 hr Go Blue Forever 165
News Beating Affirmative Actions 7 hr Go Blue Forever 1
News What Chinatown used to look like in Toronto 7 hr KELLY LEECH - KHAN 3
News 'We're Sorry'--Apology For Slavery: Too Little,... (Oct '08) 7 hr Go Blue Forever 2,130
Increasing East Asian Male Hormones 22 hr Dr Modi 1
Ainu, nearly extinct by Japan. (Jul '15) Mon CantoneseBaller 4,549
Duck Dynasty Man Weds Taiwanese Girl Mon SeanOsorioLee 3
More from around the web