Proposal would build new stage in Str...

Proposal would build new stage in Stratford

There are 59 comments on the Connecticut Post story from Apr 23, 2014, titled Proposal would build new stage in Stratford. In it, Connecticut Post reports that:

John Piccolo, owner of P & C Fence Company in Bridgeport, explains the plans he is submitting to Stratford for a new Shakespeare Park complex with a theater, restaurant and catering facility and independent and assisted living residence.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Connecticut Post.

Victor

Stratford, CT

#21 May 1, 2014
I would trust rich Fredette with..........hmmmmm........uu uugghh......hmmmmm..........I guess nothing
Money Pit

Canton, NC

#22 May 1, 2014
1983 "The Comedy of Errors," a production of Shakespeare and Company. Facing mortgage foreclosure, the theater is bought by the state for $1 million and becomes part of the state park system. State awards 20-year,$1-ayear lease to nonprofit operators, the American Shakespeare Theatre Corp.

1985 "The Taming of the Shrew," staged by actress-director Zoe Caldwell (spring student season). State approves $500,000 in repairs for the theater.

1986 "Hamlet" with Christopher Noth, staged by Zoe Caldwell (spring student season). Summer productions canceled. State pledges another $2.5 million to keep theater afloat.

I see lots of money spent over the years - still no results.

Let the group that renovated the carousel at Pleasure Beach come in to take care of the buliding.

Face facts - Rich is the only real proposal that will not waste millions more tax dollars. Rich will make the site useful for the whole community - not a political fmoney pit where tax dollars go to die.
Kent

Atlanta, GA

#23 May 1, 2014
Rich wrote:
Let's make it a large skate park
I agree. It should be called "the elite skatepark on Avon".
Neil Y

Stratford, CT

#24 May 2, 2014
Teflon Rich wrote:
Why is it when a guy like Rich has a good idea people play the FBI card?
He was never charged with any crime and gets re-elected by those he represents.
Just like Lauretti up in Shelton.
How much hard cash has Matt, Beth, Eddy, Joe, Carol - or any theater supporter laid on the table? Where's Louis Burke gone to?
Have they put their money where their mouth is and put in the mega money needed? Will Burke give any money back to help?
They seem willing to put taxpayer money at risk on this dream of theirs to relive their younger glory days, no?
Or ask others to put up hard earned money.
If it is such a viable project - corporate sponsors surely would be happy to put up funds, no?
Eddy is the only one who seems to have his heart in the Shakespeare Theater (though I think I have payed more town taxes on my car in one year than he has payed his whole life!) The rest of them are all in it for themselves. Carol is worried about the condition of the "White House" and its affect on property values but she had no problem parking that ratty white school bus from the family business in her front yard all those years! No muss, no fuss.........
FreeRider

Canton, NC

#25 May 2, 2014
While it may be true Ed has never had occasion to pay any substantial taxes in Stratford - he has aways supported the town by attending the schools and going to cultural events.
I have never heard him complain about taxes being too high either.

:)

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#26 May 2, 2014
I don't know too much about the Shakespeare Theater, but I have a couple of friends who live in that neighborhood and we walk through those grounds pretty often. We took a good look at it tonight in fact. A couple of opinions:

The theater itself: Wow that structure is huge. There is too much of it, it is a sprawling monster in the process of dying by 1000 cuts. I cannot see saving that building. It looks to me like it is ready to cave in, and the degree of disrepair is past the point of return. It's a shame- it is magnificent, at least the high main part of the building, and the steeple. But the additions, the giant heating and cooling buildings that were added on just ruin the aesthetics of it. The parking is 100% inadequate. Surely it is a fire trap as well.

What if a much smaller building replaced it? A much smaller steel reinforce/concrete structure that still had the classic main roofline and steeple? This would be fireproof, weatherproof, and much more realistic to maintain and pay for.

The Whitehouse: a really beautiful house, but is it big enough for a viable art center? I doubt it.

Also: allow my smaller theater venue to be used for a lot more that just plays. That might let it survive. But as it stands now, you could hire 5 carpenters to work on the theater continuously full time 24/7 and they would still be fighting a loosing battle.
FreeRider

Greenville, SC

#27 May 3, 2014
Citzen44 makes some excellent points - without the bias of being a local property owner trying to revitalize their own area.

Eddy could spend the rest of his life as painter and caretaker for the property.

I bet he would volunteer if he was given one of the dressing rooms to live in as compensation - a great chance for him to give back to the town.

The local eateries could donate Eddy's meals since the theater would be bringing in so much new business to the area.

A real win-win.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#28 May 3, 2014
When I posted 'steel reinforced concrete' construction, I meant these materials would be underneath more traditional materials, like clapboard or shakes. The theater definitely needs to look historic. But if you build a structure that huge with actual historic construction techniques, it will be a fire trap, and it will need never-ending maintenance. Our culture no longer has the qualities needed to look after something like the theater, nor does it have the appreciation of plays and productions it once had. So I say make it much smaller and maybe even unheated- thats right- and limit it's use to the warmest 4 months of the year.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#29 May 3, 2014
Build and they will come.
Kill O Watt

Greenville, SC

#30 May 3, 2014
Modern construction materials, solar energy panels, efficient lighting, low maintenance materials, all make sense for the long run.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#31 May 3, 2014
Kill O Watt wrote:
Modern construction materials, solar energy panels, efficient lighting, low maintenance materials, all make sense for the long run.
I was thinking the same thing- passive solar for example, and it would work beautifully in a building of that scale. What if it could be some kind of govt. showcase and they do it for free?

The only challenge would be to keep it looking historic/traditional. But I would think there's a way.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#32 May 3, 2014
America Gentleman Samuel wrote:
Build and they will come.
Like the Jai-Ali frontons?
Energy Hoggin

Canton, NC

#33 May 5, 2014
Back in the 60's & 70's the theater was in full swing. Families would pile into the big Buick Roadmasters and the Ford LTD wagons & cruise on down. The cars got about 8-10 miles per gallon - but bigger was better.
Those were the boom times when families went out together to see a play.
Energy consumtion was a non issue in cars or at the huge theater building.
Avco was in huge buildings on Main St and GE had the rows of factory buildings on Boston Ave in Bpt. Plus Remington was really going.
Now the big cars have been replaced by smaller and more efficient cars. All those huge factory builidings are closed and many torn down.
The living large excesses of the past are gone.
Cheap energy is gone forever.
The current theater building harkens back to those days of excess and cheap energy.
The large corporations have shuttered those big energy hog buildings that were making them money for lots of years.
They learned to be more efficient & cost effective.
It is time to wake up and realize a new building in the style & theme of the old theater is a much better option going foreward.
Porkers

Greenville, SC

#34 May 8, 2014
Seems many of the folks who live near the theater would like to see the original building re-opened.
They probably live in homes that are even older and less energy efficient than the old tinderbox theater.
Squander Stratford

Canton, NC

#35 May 9, 2014
Reopening the old Shakespeare Theater is like bringing the old RCA Victor console TV out of the attic to use in place of your new 60 inch Super HD flat screen with the Blue Ray dvd player.
You may feel younger for a while - even hook up the old VCR.
(remember to be kind and rewind)
But then you have to get off the couch to change the channel or the volumn.
Nostalgic - but not practical - using mega-electricity for all those old tubes.
And then you have to admit the picture really sucks too.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#36 May 12, 2014
Energy Hoggin wrote:
Back in the 60's & 70's the theater was in full swing. Families would pile into the big Buick Roadmasters and the Ford LTD wagons & cruise on down. The cars got about 8-10 miles per gallon - but bigger was better.
Those were the boom times when families went out together to see a play.
Energy consumtion was a non issue in cars or at the huge theater building.
Avco was in huge buildings on Main St and GE had the rows of factory buildings on Boston Ave in Bpt. Plus Remington was really going.
Now the big cars have been replaced by smaller and more efficient cars. All those huge factory builidings are closed and many torn down.
The living large excesses of the past are gone.
Cheap energy is gone forever.
The current theater building harkens back to those days of excess and cheap energy.
The large corporations have shuttered those big energy hog buildings that were making them money for lots of years.
They learned to be more efficient & cost effective.
It is time to wake up and realize a new building in the style & theme of the old theater is a much better option going foreward.
Wouldn't that depend on the particular details of the proposal? If I lived there I'd want to see a blueprint or drawing of what's proposed. Government has largely gone off its rocker in recent years.
Nostalgic Nate

Marion, NC

#37 May 12, 2014
I would like to meet up with some folks who still love the old building.
I have hundreds of 8-track tapes to sell and I will donate 5% of the profits to help with the project.
Also many VHS and music cassettes.
I do not have any way to play them anymore so I am willing to deal.

Remember -
Just because it's old - and has some mold - doesn't mean it should be sold.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#38 May 12, 2014
That ought to buy at least 30 or so shingles….

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#39 May 12, 2014
There is no Corruption in Stratford, not like Bridgeport.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#40 May 13, 2014
America Gentleman Samuel wrote:
There is no Corruption in Stratford, not like Bridgeport.
What about the cop who was driving a stolen Lexus?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Qiet On Mountain Stage Aug 11 youknew 7
News Ask Ken: 'Cheyenne' star Clint Walker still sta... (Feb '11) Aug 9 malott008 13
News The former Palace and Majestic Theaters, and Sa... Aug 8 Gavone 4
News Old, opulent theaters trigger magnificent memories Aug 1 Gavone 5
News New Harlem cinema big on Imagenation (Aug '06) Aug 1 Big K 1,663
News Troubled youth sentenced to Shakespeare Jul 31 Cops are Degenerates 6
News Jerry Kraus announced as Executive Director of ... (May '13) Jul 30 InTheKnow 34
More from around the web