Proposal would build new stage in Stratford

Apr 23, 2014 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Connecticut Post

John Piccolo, owner of P & C Fence Company in Bridgeport, explains the plans he is submitting to Stratford for a new Shakespeare Park complex with a theater, restaurant and catering facility and independent and assisted living residence.

Comments
1 - 20 of 59 Comments Last updated Jun 3, 2014
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Breezypt

Stratford, CT

#1 Apr 25, 2014
LOL.... Rich Fredette? Please this is one of the funniest things I have ever read!
The Elite Theater

Knoxville, TN

#2 Apr 26, 2014
Rich once ran a thriving tow business right down the street - so he knows the area.
You just look at his past business track record to see how he would run this proposal.
It would be exclusive - only for the town's Elite.
I know

Stratford, CT

#3 Apr 26, 2014
Ridiculous

Sol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 27, 2014
I don't see a problem here - let them sign an x-million-dollar life-bond: if they don't complete the project, as advertised and agreed, they have the choice of either paying the x-million-dollar bond OR paying their lives. The bond amount should be enough to either complete the project or at least restore it to its former condition - either way: a new theatre.

Payback at one year per million bucks, under guard for the period so they don't attempt to escape. Escape, or not fulfilling the bond, means life forfeiture. A simple business transaction.

THEN see how confident they are and if they even agree to START the project.
Reality Bites

Athens, TN

#5 Apr 27, 2014
Laugh at this proposal if you must, but to me is seems like the most realistic project to be proposed in the past 20 years for this decaying hulk.
This is a real investor with money!!
Not like all the "potential investors" or "theater people" who have been touted as saviours of the theater.
Face it - it's not going to be restored back to the way it was in the 70's.
There is no benevolent supporter or corporate sponsor willing to put in the millions to revive a dream of past glory.
Shakespeare just does not sell on a sutainable level any more.
There are several theater venues in the area which have counted on donations for years to stay afloat, live theater is a very difficult business - and not a proftable one.
A new theater and restaurant actually makes the most sense.
Breezypt

Stratford, CT

#6 Apr 27, 2014
Reality Bites wrote:
Laugh at this proposal if you must, but to me is seems like the most realistic project to be proposed in the past 20 years for this decaying hulk.
This is a real investor with money!!
Not like all the "potential investors" or "theater people" who have been touted as saviours of the theater.
Face it - it's not going to be restored back to the way it was in the 70's.
There is no benevolent supporter or corporate sponsor willing to put in the millions to revive a dream of past glory.
Shakespeare just does not sell on a sutainable level any more.
There are several theater venues in the area which have counted on donations for years to stay afloat, live theater is a very difficult business - and not a proftable one.
A new theater and restaurant actually makes the most sense.
What a joke you are! How long before the FBI raids this place like they did at elite towing. This guy can't balance a check book but this is the best so far? Your an idiot
Johnny

Naugatuck, CT

#7 Apr 28, 2014
Rich did a great job as councilman. Look at the nice skate park down at short beach. This only shows he is looking ahead for the town. If you build it they will come.
Teflon Rich

Landrum, SC

#8 Apr 29, 2014
Why is it when a guy like Rich has a good idea people play the FBI card?
He was never charged with any crime and gets re-elected by those he represents.
Just like Lauretti up in Shelton.
How much hard cash has Matt, Beth, Eddy, Joe, Carol - or any theater supporter laid on the table? Where's Louis Burke gone to?
Have they put their money where their mouth is and put in the mega money needed? Will Burke give any money back to help?
They seem willing to put taxpayer money at risk on this dream of theirs to relive their younger glory days, no?
Or ask others to put up hard earned money.
If it is such a viable project - corporate sponsors surely would be happy to put up funds, no?
A Rich History

Landrum, SC

#9 Apr 29, 2014
1983 "The Comedy of Errors," a production of Shakespeare and Company. Facing mortgage foreclosure, the theater is bought by the state for $1 million and becomes part of the state park system. State awards 20-year,$1-ayear lease to nonprofit operators, the American Shakespeare Theatre Corp.

1984 "Romeo and Juliet" by Shakespeare and Company.

1985 "The Taming of the Shrew," staged by actress-director Zoe Caldwell (spring student season). State approves $500,000 in repairs for the theater.

1986 "Hamlet" with Christopher Noth, staged by Zoe Caldwell (spring student season). Summer productions canceled. State pledges another $2.5 million to keep theater afloat.

1987 Task force recommends theater be converted into "American Heritage Theatre," broadening its repertoire to include works of playwrights other than Shakespeare. American Shakespeare Theatre board of directors resigns.

1988 Theater renamed "American Festival Theatre." New nonprofit board of trustees receives lease for the theater. Roofing project completed.

1989 Some siding replaced. American Festival Theatre, as a presenting rather than a producing organization, launches its inaugural and only season: American Conservatory Theater's "Saint Joan" with Andrea Marcovicci and "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum"; Michael Feinstein concerts; Fred Curchack's one-person show of "The Tempest" in September -- the last production on the Stratford stage.

1990 Sprinkler and fire-alarm system upgraded. State commissions architect to do plan of theater and grounds for renovation of the facility.

1991 Theater cut from state budget.

1992 February: Louis Burke criticizes state for lack of interest in developing property. He goes public with own proposals. May: State announces it will seek requests for proposals to develop the theater. Lease is given up by American Festival Theatre. Proposals due July 29. Sept. 1 goal set by selection committee for a decision.

1995; Brickhill-Burke Ltd and Stratford Festival Theatre Inc. wins state approval, but final OK takes two years of negotiations with state.

1999: Renovations begin

2000: Renovations halted when money runs out.

2001: Burke fired as artistic director by Stratford Festival Theater and organization negotiates for several years over its debt.
2005: State deeds property and theater over to town of Stratford.

2008: Stratford seeks proposals.

http://blogs.courant.com/curtain/2009/08/the-...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#10 Apr 29, 2014
Stratford seeks money, lots of it.
Matchdotcom

Stratford, CT

#11 Apr 29, 2014
Haha rich Fredette.....what a joke this is! He can't even balance his own checkbook! Stratford is so funny

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#12 Apr 30, 2014
Should razed that building years ago and put up low cost housing for the people of Stratford...instead of coddling the rich folks fancies.

“'never'”

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#13 Apr 30, 2014
Daniel in Hobbs wrote:
Should razed that building years ago and put up low cost housing for the people of Stratford...instead of coddling the rich folks fancies.
Really? They should have used a park for public housing? How does a grass roots theater coddle rich people?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#14 Apr 30, 2014
I am going to search the grounds with my metal detector for lost coins. There must be a lot of them.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#15 Apr 30, 2014
America Gentleman Samuel wrote:
I am going to search the grounds with my metal detector for lost coins. There must be a lot of them.
Well if you do that Samuel, please let me know if you found my coins. I am keeping a few of them there and I don't want them disturbed.
AVA-AVA-AVA

Spartanburg, SC

#16 Apr 30, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Well if you do that Samuel, please let me know if you found my coins. I am keeping a few of them there and I don't want them disturbed.
Hi there getting any of the storm?. We had dire warnings for days here so we took all the plants and deck furniture in and we dodged it. We did not even get the heavy rain and wind which the weatherman predicted .I am relieved and sad for the other states which got inundated with floods and tornado's.My friends in Fla have had 12 inches of rain in one day! hope all is well in your neighborhood and BPT's garden is ok.

“'never'”

Location hidden

#17 Apr 30, 2014
AVA-AVA-AVA wrote:
<quoted text> Hi there getting any of the storm?. We had dire warnings for days here so we took all the plants and deck furniture in and we dodged it. We did not even get the heavy rain and wind which the weatherman predicted .I am relieved and sad for the other states which got inundated with floods and tornado's.My friends in Fla have had 12 inches of rain in one day! hope all is well in your neighborhood and BPT's garden is ok.
It is very cold today, very windy, and has been raining pretty hard all day. Last night the tide almost flooded my yard(but didn't)
Tomorrow is supposed to be much warmer....can't wait. This will make everything grow like crazy I think.
AVA-AVA-AVA

Spartanburg, SC

#18 Apr 30, 2014
Citizen44 wrote:
<quoted text>
It is very cold today, very windy, and has been raining pretty hard all day. Last night the tide almost flooded my yard(but didn't)
Tomorrow is supposed to be much warmer....can't wait. This will make everything grow like crazy I think.
Check out what the weather will be down here all next week.VERY warm.Now since the storm is not hitting us we have to put everything out again .Glad your place is ok.
BPT

Bridgeport, CT

#19 Apr 30, 2014
AVA-AVA-AVA wrote:
<quoted text> Check out what the weather will be down here all next week.VERY warm.Now since the storm is not hitting us we have to put everything out again .Glad your place is ok.
c44 right. it's raining windy and cold tonight.;
have'nt even started the garden yet.
only doubled up my chicken wire to let cukes plants grow higher and hope i can get more blossoms.
good to hear from you.
Rich

Naugatuck, CT

#20 May 1, 2014
Let's make it a large skate park

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuba Gooding Movie Holding Open Casting Calls I... (Oct '12) 6 hr Jesie 2
New Harlem cinema big on Imagenation (Aug '06) 20 hr CPO357 1,579
Milwaukee Student Named Rising Star Aug 29 Mom of two 3
At the McDonnell trial, sidewalk visuals drive ... Aug 28 Gary 1
Melody Top Music Theater: In gentler times, Hil... (Jun '09) Aug 27 StarMountainKId 19
Years after Fort Ritchie opened for redevelopme... Aug 27 GenPatton 1
Paterson artist speaks at United Nations symposium Aug 25 anjelicamom 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Theater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••