Carlsbad lands 8-screen movie theater; New multiplex will anchor The Cascades

May 8, 2014 Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus 37

The CDOD is working with Allen Theatres, which currently operates the three-screen theater at the Carlsbad Mall, to open the larger facility within the next two years.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Negative Nancy

Hobbs, NM

#1 May 8, 2014
Okay....guess I'm gona be the first negative nancy on this topic.
Really 8 more movie screens??? So you think that our small town with no where to eat or shop will be able to keep 14 movie screens filled enough to keep them open?? Oh my.... Sorry but that is a truly stupid idea!!!
Skeptical Too

Carlsbad, NM

#2 May 8, 2014
I too was a bit surprised to read that Allen Theaters would consider opening such a large complex here. Reason being that whenever I attend the movies over at the mall they rarely reach half capacity. True, I don't go on opening nights but it is not uncommon that I and my friends will have an entire row to ourselves.

I remember reading some ten years ago that movie attendance was dropping primarily due to the high cost of going to the movies vs. downloading movies and watching it on your living room HDTV. People have also become fed up with rude behaviors such as talking/texting on cell phones and unruly children.

Ten years ago I asked why certain movies didn't show here and why we had the extra long runs for children's movies and the manager back then said that Allen's Theater Corp. only sends out the movies they know by experience will make them money.

I wonder if DOD isn't blowing smoke up our ass.
And

Lovington, NM

#3 May 9, 2014
This is exactly why Carlsbad does not ever show any economic changes ! Too much negativity, that being said, I know lots of families drive to Artesia for their day or night out to the walk in! Reason being, LOW PRICES! Even with gas, movie tickets and food and snacks, it is still less expensive than going here! Unbelievable, but true! Prices here are outrageous, sodas $4.00, popcorn $4.00, candies $2.00. Please look at the positive side of Carlsbad growing!
And

Lovington, NM

#4 May 9, 2014
Negative Nancy wrote:
Really 8 more movie screens??? So you think that our small town with no where to eat or shop will be able to keep 14 movie screens filled enough to keep them open?? Oh my.... Sorry but that is a truly stupid idea!!!
got your screen name off a a show last night?
MLE1

Hobbs, NM

#5 May 9, 2014
And wrote:
This is exactly why Carlsbad does not ever show any economic changes ! Too much negativity, that being said, I know lots of families drive to Artesia for their day or night out to the walk in! Reason being, LOW PRICES! Even with gas, movie tickets and food and snacks, it is still less expensive than going here! Unbelievable, but true! Prices here are outrageous, sodas $4.00, popcorn $4.00, candies $2.00. Please look at the positive side of Carlsbad growing!
Growth can be in a negative way as well! Too much traffic in a small town, crowded stores, and dirtier streest! People coming here live other places and are not her permanently! This growth is due to the oil boom and once it's over then what? FYI Artesia is a cleaner and much nicer place than Carlsbad and has much more to offer.
S M A R T

Carlsbad, NM

#6 May 9, 2014
Lets keep building Hotels and banks annnnd I guess an 8 screen movie theater.... And ignore the fact that there is nothing to do here no place to eat, but we got Mcalisters. Yeah but you will have the same bad service there cause where do the workers come from? All the other restaurants with bad service.
Yeah

Lovington, NM

#7 May 9, 2014
MLE1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Growth can be in a negative way as well! Too much traffic in a small town, crowded stores, and dirtier streest! People coming here live other places and are not her permanently! This growth is due to the oil boom and once it's over then what? FYI Artesia is a cleaner and much nicer place than Carlsbad and has much more to offer.
Artesia was just about as small as Carlsbad. But even before the so called oil boom, Artesia was already growing! Lots of stores to shop, even the mall in Roswell has been happening since I can remember ! Carlsbad just the same, Forrest and dunagan to name a few building what they can have 20% off of which amounts to our taxes! People not staying here? What is wrong with them living here a short amount of time? So what, individuals in the service are always jumping around! Artesia has much more to offer, you say, and cleaner, yes they do because the community support growth not whine about crowded stores, etc. I suppose you are one of those old hermits in a home that is exactly what it was back in the fourties or so, outdated clothes and automobiles! No upgrade to your home even, so you have no idea when a trip is taken to get out of this town, stores are crowded, because of growth!!! Cleaner, yes, city workers do their job, here in Carlsbad they are lazy and fraud the system!!! Guess you haven't been to our Super Walmart, always crowded on a daily basis, only store in town, soooo sad!!! The mall is a poor excuse for a shopping establishment! Enough said!
MLE1

Hobbs, NM

#8 May 9, 2014
Yeah wrote:
<quoted text>Artesia was just about as small as Carlsbad. But even before the so called oil boom, Artesia was already growing! Lots of stores to shop, even the mall in Roswell has been happening since I can remember ! Carlsbad just the same, Forrest and dunagan to name a few building what they can have 20% off of which amounts to our taxes! People not staying here? What is wrong with them living here a short amount of time? So what, individuals in the service are always jumping around! Artesia has much more to offer, you say, and cleaner, yes they do because the community support growth not whine about crowded stores, etc. I suppose you are one of those old hermits in a home that is exactly what it was back in the fourties or so, outdated clothes and automobiles! No upgrade to your home even, so you have no idea when a trip is taken to get out of this town, stores are crowded, because of growth!!! Cleaner, yes, city workers do their job, here in Carlsbad they are lazy and fraud the system!!! Guess you haven't been to our Super Walmart, always crowded on a daily basis, only store in town, soooo sad!!! The mall is a poor excuse for a shopping establishment! Enough said!
Huh? I'm saying that this current growth in Carlsbad is temporary and not positive! The increased truck traffic alone is going to destroy our already bad roads, many buildings here are going to be vacant, people here don't want to work so hotels will be poorly staffed and no quality restaurants are coming in so people will continually go out of town to dine.
Stupid is as stupid does

Carlsbad, NM

#9 May 9, 2014
Negative Nancy wrote:
Please, you and all of the other intellectual giants on this blog are really too "intelligent" to go to the movies here. You are also too intelligent to go to the new McAlister's opening next monday or the new yogurt shop in three weeks. Please, Einsten, do not shop at any of the new shops or visit the new banks coming in on Pierce Street or even go down to the beach to see the new work done down there by the city. You are also too intellectually endowed to work at any of the 500+ new oil-related businesses here and cannot live in any of the new apartments or homes under construction here. You are simply too smart to do anything new coming in to a town that is clearly exploding at the seams. You should move to Deming, Raton or Gallup, where newness and growth are things of the past. Life is slow and the community's economic pulse is slowing down daily.

I'm from Carlsbad and I'm thrilled things are changing. I want it all and I want it NOW! I am so thrilled the Development Department, Forrest and everybody else are bringing in real businesses now instead of going after those d@mned call centers and BS Hawaiian long shots. The paper said the Development Department are also supporting the annexing of a big chunk of worthless desert to turn into a neighborhood. Imagine that, these people supporting Growth! Bout time they start kickin'@ss! Keep it up!

Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

#10 May 10, 2014
The good old boys and good old girls that own ""Old Restaurant Establishments"" in Carlsbad, they stop anything new from coming in.
OMG

Hobbs, NM

#11 May 10, 2014
Stupid is as stupid does wrote:
<quoted text>
Please, you and all of the other intellectual giants on this blog are really too "intelligent" to go to the movies here. You are also too intelligent to go to the new McAlister's opening next monday or the new yogurt shop in three weeks. Please, Einsten, do not shop at any of the new shops or visit the new banks coming in on Pierce Street or even go down to the beach to see the new work done down there by the city. You are also too intellectually endowed to work at any of the 500+ new oil-related businesses here and cannot live in any of the new apartments or homes under construction here. You are simply too smart to do anything new coming in to a town that is clearly exploding at the seams. You should move to Deming, Raton or Gallup, where newness and growth are things of the past. Life is slow and the community's economic pulse is slowing down daily.
I'm from Carlsbad and I'm thrilled things are changing. I want it all and I want it NOW! I am so thrilled the Development Department, Forrest and everybody else are bringing in real businesses now instead of going after those d@mned call centers and BS Hawaiian long shots. The paper said the Development Department are also supporting the annexing of a big chunk of worthless desert to turn into a neighborhood. Imagine that, these people supporting Growth! Bout time they start kickin'@ss! Keep it up!
Wow that was uncalled for!!!! Intellectual giants....really!! All she did was post her personal opinion on the proposed building of an 8 screen movie house and you resort to taking it upon yourself to throw out insults and presumptions on how when and where she and anyone else shops or eats. And once it's built and then it or one of the other movie places has to close because they cannot make enough revenue to keep it open, can we call you names too??
Thrill

Lovington, NM

#12 May 13, 2014
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow that was uncalled for!!!! Intellectual giants....really!! All she did was post her personal opinion on the proposed building of an 8 screen movie house and you resort to taking it upon yourself to throw out insults and presumptions on how when and where she and anyone else shops or eats. And once it's built and then it or one of the other movie places has to close because they cannot make enough revenue to keep it open, can we call you names too??
Yep!
Seeker

United States

#13 May 14, 2014
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
And once it's built and then it or one of the other movie places has to close because they cannot make enough revenue to keep it open, can we call you names too??
This is a completely ignorant statement.

There is only ONE other walk in movie theater owned by Allen Theaters. The new one will ALSO be owned by Allen Theaters, so I'm certain they looked at the business model and are willing to accept shutdown of the smaller one at the Mall if necessary.

If one or the other must close due to decreased revenues then so be it. THAT is called CAPITALISM. If we never brought in larger businesses, or more businesses because it might "threaten" others .. THEN NO COMMUNITY WOULD EVER GROW.
Movie Goer

Lovington, NM

#14 May 14, 2014
I for one and really excited about getting a bigger movie theater. My husband and I go to the movie every week-end and sometimes the movies that are showing are the same as they were the week before. We drive to Hobbs to go to the movie sometimes because they have a bigger selection. My hometown in Missouri has the same number of people as Carlsbad and they have a 14 screen theater. They also have about 5 times as many restaurants, but that's another story. If they keep the smaller theater open they will probably turn it into a dollar theater with older movies, that's what usually happens.

Since: Apr 12

Carlsbad, NM

#15 May 14, 2014
Movie Goer wrote:
I for one and really excited about getting a bigger movie theater. My husband and I go to the movie every week-end and sometimes the movies that are showing are the same as they were the week before. We drive to Hobbs to go to the movie sometimes because they have a bigger selection. My hometown in Missouri has the same number of people as Carlsbad and they have a 14 screen theater. They also have about 5 times as many restaurants, but that's another story. If they keep the smaller theater open they will probably turn it into a dollar theater with older movies, that's what usually happens.
That won't happen with Allen Theaters. Glad you are excited, contain yourself though as this is 2 years out.
Pfaffy

King, NC

#16 Sep 11, 2014
I think this is Schweet!!! Bring it on - I'm a die hard movie buff and I can't get enough. Whoopeee
ok sir

Hobbs, NM

#17 Sep 11, 2014
Pfaffy wrote:
I think this is Schweet!!! Bring it on - I'm a die hard movie buff and I can't get enough. Whoopeee
Maybe if you had a job you wouldn't be! You must be a local! BUM!
Pfaffy

King, NC

#18 Sep 12, 2014
ok sir wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe if you had a job you wouldn't be! You must be a local! BUM!
OK Sir,
You are one brilliant guy!! How would you know if I had a job and what difference does that make to my comments about the subject?
My advice to you is to enroll in a self confidence improvement course. I have found over the years that people who constantly berate other people are doing that to feel better about themselves. I suggest you find a more productive way to feel better about yourself. Maybe then you can post some comments that actually address the subject and also add some meaningful thoughts to the discourse.
ok sir

Hobbs, NM

#19 Sep 12, 2014
Pfaffy wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Sir,
You are one brilliant guy!! How would you know if I had a job and what difference does that make to my comments about the subject?
My advice to you is to enroll in a self confidence improvement course. I have found over the years that people who constantly berate other people are doing that to feel better about themselves. I suggest you find a more productive way to feel better about yourself. Maybe then you can post some comments that actually address the subject and also add some meaningful thoughts to the discourse.
Did I hit a nerve? You need to get out of town more!
Pfaffy

King, NC

#20 Sep 12, 2014
ok sir wrote:
<quoted text>
Did I hit a nerve? You need to get out of town more!
Just returned from 3 weeks in the Canadian Rockies - fabulous trip! The train ride from Vancouver to Halifax was totally awesome. Believe me I love to travel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Groundswell of support for 'The Interview' 8 hr simou94 3
After 16 years, Tony and Tina calling it quits? (Jul '09) 10 hr Sublime1 40
Supreme Court won't stop gay marriages in Florida Wed Mitt s Baptism of... 50
Naruto stage adaptation heading for Singapore? Wed DRUGDAEGUTHAIDEBD... 2
Writers, Congress show support for 'The Interview' Wed Bob 6
What I Learned When Homophobic Thugs Tried to S... Wed Belle Sexton 2
Allen Theaters drops screenings of 'The Intervi... Dec 23 MuricanHero 2
More from around the web