Farewell to a golden era

From the cold, detached perspective of a real estate investor, it's not much: a nondescript, boarded-up, single-story building on 19 acres on the Southside. Full Story
DoreenF

Balm, FL

#22 Jun 20, 2007
Why did they leave out the Frank Edwards Show, with the Carmen LaFave trio? It was great. Edwards would sit and interview guests and his dog would sit on his desk the whole time. How about the late, great Rich Green doing the news?

Or the afternoon dance party (something like American Bandstand)? They'd call a Indy high school and invite a class over, roll cameras and music and there you were. Any guy not dancing was handed a broom and told to dance with that.

God, what great times!
Indianapolis Native

Louisville, KY

#23 Jun 20, 2007
I remember when the Carloyn Churchman Show was on CH. 4.
I was a Very Young Model for several Sport shops in town. Life was so simple then.
Another case of the BIG guy Eating the Little Guy. Missed already.
I now live in Hancock County
Hoosier Daddy

Louisville, KY

#24 Jun 20, 2007
RE: a talk show host. Besides Bob Braun, there was also Jim Gerard.

Oh, for the days of truly independent local stations. That kind of homegrown programming has a ramshackle charm I never tire of, and it's deader than the do-do bird. How many of us had the thrill of actually being on Cowboy Bob and Janie's shows when they were televised live from the State Fair? Or leapt behind the couch when Sammy Terry came on because he was just soooooo scary? Good times.
Memory Lane

United States

#25 Jun 20, 2007
This story brings back fond memories of watching Nightmare Theater with Sammy Terry on Saturday nights while laying on the floor in front of the TV as a young kid in the 60's.

Who can not remember the great years of watching IU and Booby Knight on Channel 4 during the glory years in the mid 70's and 80's.

Thanks for the memories channel 4.

Arc

“Love, and do what you like.”

Since: Feb 07

Chicago, IL (ex-Indy)

#26 Jun 20, 2007
I remember many of these show even though I was still a kid when most of them went off the air. I always thought they were great, and so did everyone else I knew. I guess such shows just weren't profitable enough in the modern media landscape. It's a shame, because the new stuff is mostly soulless drivel.
DoreenF

Balm, FL

#27 Jun 20, 2007
Yes, Carolyn Churchman! She once acted on a dare and jumped off the roof of the studio into an Indianapolis Fire Department net. I was riding my bicycle by the place and stopped to watch. She almost chickened out but in the end, with cameras rolling, she jumped. It was GREAT!
unic1

Muncie, IN

#28 Jun 20, 2007
I remember being on the Janie show with my Campfire troup - on my birthday, no less! LOL Oh, and Sammy Terry's spider? George! My sister and I were allowed to stay up late, just to watch that show and be scared out of our wits! I loved it. And ... I had a huge crush on Cowboy Bob. ;-)
ADJ

Shelbyville, IN

#29 Jun 20, 2007
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob Braun - I think he was out of Cincinnati.
I grew up with Janie's son. Imagine how cool it was to have parent's night in Kindergarten and have Janie show up!!
Unless he did an earlier show I know nothing about, Bob Braun and the 50-50 Club was on Channel 13.
hickenlooper fan

Chicago, IL

#30 Jun 20, 2007
A Friend wrote:
Am I mistaken, or wasn't Harlow Hickenlooper on channel 4, too...on Saturday mornings with the Three Sttoges Show?
I think so. If you search on Harlow Hickenlooper, there is a website where you can hear his famous interpretation of the birthday song.
ADJ

Shelbyville, IN

#31 Jun 20, 2007
A Friend wrote:
Am I mistaken, or wasn't Harlow Hickenlooper on channel 4, too...on Saturday mornings with the Three Sttoges Show?
They were on Channel 6; never missed the show!
Southsider

Indianapolis, IN

#32 Jun 20, 2007
Ahhh life before cable... a good history lesson for generation y. Yes, there was experimentation before youtube :)
Brad

Peyton, CO

#33 Jun 20, 2007
I remembered the many shows such as Janie and Cowboy Bob. In fact I remember one of my neighbor's kids were on Janie. Long time back......
Brad

Peyton, CO

#34 Jun 20, 2007
I forgot another thing, I remembered Sci-Fi Theater on Saturday night. Some pretty good stuff at night. Weekends, I was allowed to stay up late. Channel 4 had some good stuff to watch on weekends. One thing, I saw a posting about the Bob Braun show. If I remember right, he died several years ago. Another show was the Jim Gerard (sp?) show, totally boring ! Jim Lockwood and Sean(?) Rafferty doing the news. I think also Jim Lockwood died a few years back as well. On Rafferty, I think he took a job in Maine last I heard.

The closed studio if I remember right is 3490 Bluff Road. The address was mentioned so many times when I watched WTTV when I was growing up in the 70/80's.
Benton Harbor

Indianapolis, IN

#35 Jun 20, 2007
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
Bob Braun - I think he was out of Cincinnati.
I grew up with Janie's son. Imagine how cool it was to have parent's night in Kindergarten and have Janie show up!!
I thought Bob Braun was on Channel 13 when it was WLWI.
BL now in Cinci

Cincinnati, OH

#36 Jun 20, 2007
Cowboy Bob and Janie ruled my world as a kid. I hope these responses help them understand how many lives they touched. I realize it's already been off for a few years, but WTTV will still be missed.
back at cha

AOL

#37 Jun 20, 2007
A Friend wrote:
harlow was on channel 6 with the three stooges, i remember eating jelly on crackers watching that, and channel 4 as well, remember "clutch cargo"? i miss all of that, and of course "nightmare theater"
back at cha

AOL

#38 Jun 20, 2007
DoreenF wrote:
Why did they leave out the Frank Edwards Show, with the Carmen LaFave trio? It was great. Edwards would sit and interview guests and his dog would sit on his desk the whole time. How about the late, great Rich Green doing the news?
Or the afternoon dance party (something like American Bandstand)? They'd call a Indy high school and invite a class over, roll cameras and music and there you were. Any guy not dancing was handed a broom and told to dance with that.
God, what great times!
i know bandstand was on channel 13, then known as WLWI-13, not sure about frank edwards and rich green but i don't think they were on channel 4, anyone out there? channel 4 was loved by everyone...
back at cha

AOL

#39 Jun 20, 2007
i think that the dance show you are referring to was the "lloyd thaxton" show that came on at 6 or 7pm during the week, i remember the show would end with the song "so what?" lloyd thaxton wrote that song, i believe...

thanks for tweaking my memory box!
Southside Raised

Indianapolis, IN

#40 Jun 20, 2007
It is sad to see a local landmark put to rest. I grew up around Channel 4. I still live down the street. As a kid, I got a kick out of riding by the station everyday on the way to school. My dad and I watched Sammy Terry every week for "monster movie night." As an adult, I share these stories with my own children. My oldest at age 2 referred to the signal dishs as "lady bugs". My older two have even had the opportunity to meet Cowboy Bob and Sammy Terry. Channel 4 provided good, clean family entertainment, which today there is far too little of. WTTV 4 and the entertaining staff became part of many families. It has been and will be missed.
Rob

Plainfield, IN

#41 Jun 20, 2007
I remember watching Sammy Terry with my dad and George scaring the crap out of me! Black Belt Theater was great, too. It was so cool seeing Cowboy Bob at the State Fair every summer. Good times and memories!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
See New Movies By Adam McKay, Catherine Hardwic... Oct 19 High I 1
Hillary Clinton's book sales barely edging out ... Oct 18 Swedenforever 2
Polanski opens Paris musical based on Tate film Oct 17 zionist banksters 1
Capitol City Meats closes, and butcher Jimmy Bi... (Aug '10) Oct 15 Big Dave 73
The comedy club that charges per laugh Oct 14 tha Professor 4
Felix Cavaliere Headlines 'Sixties Spectacular'... Oct 13 wishiwasnot22 1
Cuban children train for circus, and a future Oct 11 WE JUST DONT CARE 3

Theater People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE