Farewell to a golden era

Full story: The Indianapolis Star

From the cold, detached perspective of a real estate investor, it's not much: a nondescript, boarded-up, single-story building on 19 acres on the Southside.

Comments (Page 12)

Showing posts 221 - 240 of244
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
southsider

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 28, 2009

The young guy was Gene Allison, who also did other announcing around town. The King would show a car's price and then say "Snide me Gene! How much for this beautiful (fill in the blank - like 1956 Ford Sunliner)?"
IIndy Old timer wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, both my husband and I remember Ed Clark and his favorite expression "Da king don't care". He always seemed to be having a great time cutting prices as he quipped back and forth with the young good looking announcer, whose name we can't remember.
Cynthia Marlowe

Bullard, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2010

Old Vidiot wrote:
I had the priviledge, pleasure and life learning experiance of being a Channel 4 Engineer for 29 years, 1961-1990. We pioneered TV events and techniques because we didn't know we couldn't! WTTV had the first "Portable TV Camera" A studio camera mounted in an old bread truck, with aa AMPEX 1000B video tape machine and pulling an Onan Generator mounted on a trailer.
At the Indiana State Fair, for several years, the Host of "The State Fair Variety Show" was Nick Clooney (Newscaster from Cincinatti).
He sometimes brought his kids to the Fair. Yep, you guessed it. It was Him!
There are SO MANY memories..........
You may very well be able to help me with a project I'm working on for Chuck who I'm sure you remember. I'm his daughter-in-law & he along with me and his sons are helping gather clips, info for his book & fan page. How can I contact you?
Johnny

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 26, 2010

Melinda LeFave wrote:
<quoted text> By the way, I'm Carmen & Doris' daughter.
Hello Mel, I'd love to hear from you...

Hauxbran2 at yahoo.com
Bill

Merrillville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

What about 'Lunchtime Teatre' and 'Scott McCleod, Space Angel'?
Bill

Merrillville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2010

Cowboy Bob's biscuit was named 'Sourdough'(the singing biscuit.) And Ed Clark's sidekick's name was Gene. Ed would always let Gene price a car on the air and when Gene priced it, Ed would wince and moan, "Gene, you're KILLING me!" Wouldn't trade those memories for anything.
just me

Hanover Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2010

i remember eating chesty chips and drinking fizzies on a hot friday nite with a blanket to cover my head while watching selwyn later sammy terry. i always wanted to punch the chesty kid in the stomach. i dont know why, he always wore a clean striped shirt... years later i took my two kids to see cowboy bob at lindners ice cream shop and to get his autograph. still have the picture of cowboy bob and his dog. i remember sarkes tarzian talking on tv and thought that he looked like a cleaned up version of sammy terry. does anyone remember the midday show frances farmer presents? i think it was on the channel six station. i also remember watching aunt marthas ding dong show and she would ring that bell when school started. she looked like a kindly chick, but i would have rather been watching soupy sales.
sammy maudlin

Boca Raton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

I was on one of Janoe's episodes taped ffrom the fair. It was about 1970 or 1971 I believe I was in the 2nd grade attending the great Harcourt Elementry school MSD Washington Twnsp Indianapolis. I brother and now sister-in-law pushed me up front and she picked me to hold a 6 pack of I think Chocola... My prize was some of those "unbreakable" crayons. I mean the least I could have got was a Burger Chef certificate. She would be screaming and yelling about camera angles then as soon as we went "live" she was all smiles. Excited to be on TV but truly disappointed at the chic's demeanor. I mean I grew up watching her ...Janie was not supposed to get mad...after that I never looked at her the same...but everytime I watch "Sunset Blvd" I think of Janie and Norma Desmond and "THERE CLOSE-UPS! I now remember JANIE AS A "B_TCH!
Ou TFiT69

Whitestown, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

You are all a bunch of dumb farmer dung wads!

In carmel Indiana we have the money.
You have none.

HAHAHA Heh hehehhe!!

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 16, 2011

Judged:

Ou TFiT69 wrote:
You have none.
HAHAHA Heh hehehhe!!
At least our fingers don't stink. We keep them out of other people's re ctums.
T Satterthwaite

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

JFW wrote:
Wasn't there a show called something like "Les, the Cartoon Man?" I recall being on that show as a child. Les had kids in the studio as they showed cartoons. It was sponsored by Chesty Potato Chips!
That was Les Satterthwaite, who was working on his Masters in Ed at IU at the time. He died in January, 2012, a professor emeritus at ASU in Tempe, AZ. His students loved him--brilliant, warm man--my father-in-law.
Rob Hood

Noblesville, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

I fondly remember my first boner watching Popeye and Janie. For Janie, not Popeye.
Melinda LeFave

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

sammy maudlin wrote:
I was on one of Janoe's episodes taped ffrom the fair. It was about 1970 or 1971 I believe I was in the 2nd grade attending the great Harcourt Elementry school MSD Washington Twnsp Indianapolis. I brother and now sister-in-law pushed me up front and she picked me to hold a 6 pack of I think Chocola... My prize was some of those "unbreakable" crayons. I mean the least I could have got was a Burger Chef certificate. She would be screaming and yelling about camera angles then as soon as we went "live" she was all smiles. Excited to be on TV but truly disappointed at the chic's demeanor. I mean I grew up watching her ...Janie was not supposed to get mad...after that I never looked at her the same...but everytime I watch "Sunset Blvd" I think of Janie and Norma Desmond and "THERE CLOSE-UPS! I now remember JANIE AS A "B_TCH!
Oh I remember being at the State Fair as a kid. Janie was one nasty woman; yelling at kids, co-workers, just so mean to everyone near her. I ran into her again in my later teens when she came into the very nice restaurant where I was working at the time. She was a regular, but demanding, complaining and never tipped. I agree with your last sentence about Janie.
JSmitch

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2013

Uh Clem wrote:
<quoted text>
At least our fingers don't stink. We keep them out of other people's re ctums.
The dude's a dick - I agree with you.
Indy Native

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

I remember all of this, especially the Bob Catterson commercials, Sammy Terry (of course) and Cowboy Bob & Janie. I do wonder how many dog side-kicks ol' Cowboy Bob went through in all his years on the air. When I was a kid his dog was "Tumbleweed", were there others?
Indy Native

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Ou TFiT69 wrote:
You have none.
HAHAHA Heh hehehhe!!
Your location says "Zionsville"... that's NOT Carmel.

“We're all Bozos on this bus”

Since: Jan 07

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 22, 2013

Judged:

Of related note from the same era:

Gerald "Curley" Myers, part of the long-running Saturday morning Three Stooges program on WFBM (now WRTV-6), passed away at 93 years old on May 19th, 2013.
carolt

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 1, 2013

lndychick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sammy Terry scared the CRAP outta me! I remember my Mother telling me I could FINALLY stay up until Midnight on the weekend but I'd better not wake her up getting in bed with her if I got scared.
Was the spider's name Fred?
And Buttermilk Biscuit on Cowboy Bob!
Spaghettios and milk in front of Ch. 4 for lunch.
Ahhh memories.
Spider: George.
Buscuit: Sourdough

Sammy Terry a special treat when we were allowed to stay up at MomTs or when visiting the cousins in Indy... remember "the Fog" and "the Hand"? 2 B movies that scared the begeezies outta me...
Robin Henderson

Madison, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Anyone on here old enough to recall Ed Clark, the used car king at E Washington & Southeastern Ave, that site is now I think a Burger King
The king don't care
Ed, you got this Chevy priced at only $2995 but I'm going to mark it down to just $1700
John, you're killing me.
White Man

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2013

Did DavidM die? I'm gonna piss on his grave. Sammy would love that!
Christine

Indianapolis, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Anyone remember the long cigarette Sammy Terry used to hold?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 221 - 240 of244
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••