Income inequality hurts U.S. greatness

Income inequality hurts U.S. greatness

There are 110 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 10, 2014, titled Income inequality hurts U.S. greatness. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The Dispatch welcomes letters to the editor from readers. Typed letters of 200 words or fewer are preferred; all might be edited.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#63 Jan 16, 2014
Of course, some people get these things as a bonus, for being above average in their job performance, but you may not have had experience with such things... most people who expect more for no more work generally don't.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#64 Jan 16, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
What are wages? Payment for WORK provided to the employer. Why do you expect the payment when you don't provide the WORK?
<quoted text>
If you don't WORK for them, they aren't EARNINGS. Do consult a dictionary.
I don't think you properly understand me. I'm talking about working conditions, that is, conditions for those who work, which would leave the employed in more stable and secure work settings, limiting interruptions to their work and leaving them better able to work and earn throughout the whole of their working lives. It's this added security that would contribute to being able to continue working and earning, as wages following labor isn't going to change with these adjustments.
Spoken Reality

Columbus, OH

#65 Jan 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you properly understand me. I'm talking about working conditions, that is, conditions for those who work, which would leave the employed in more stable and secure work settings, limiting interruptions to their work and leaving them better able to work and earn throughout the whole of their working lives. It's this added security that would contribute to being able to continue working and earning, as wages following labor isn't going to change with these adjustments.
security is for losers.

challenge is for winners.

every single day the threat of replacement dominates my work ethic.

your horrible english stating.....leaving them better able to work and earn throughout the whole of their working life......is an excuse for failure.

PS: if you don't like the working conditions...quit and start your own business.

Smart people do.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#66 Jan 16, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
Of course, some people get these things as a bonus, for being above average in their job performance, but you may not have had experience with such things... most people who expect more for no more work generally don't.
I'm suggesting that having the ability to get sick, be injured or have a child without risking your job may better suit both workers and the wider culture if offered as a right under reasonable terms, rather than a bonus.

The current American system classing these as benefits rather than rights creates a class of people on the edge of poverty with any change in their lives. It seems so very sad. And wonderfully wasteful.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#67 Jan 16, 2014
TonyD2 wrote:
Of course, some people get these things as a bonus, for being above average in their job performance, but you may not have had experience with such things... most people who expect more for no more work generally don't.
there you go posting fact again

you must enjoy infuriating stupid people too.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#68 Jan 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you properly understand me. I'm talking about working conditions, that is, conditions for those who work, which would leave the employed in more stable and secure work settings, limiting interruptions to their work and leaving them better able to work and earn throughout the whole of their working lives. It's this added security that would contribute to being able to continue working and earning, as wages following labor isn't going to change with these adjustments.
nobody understands your stupidity but you
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

#69 Jan 16, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
nobody understands your stupidity but you
But ironically, nearly 99.005% of folks understand yours.

woof
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#70 Jan 16, 2014
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
But ironically, nearly 99.005% of folks understand yours.
woof
does it just not suck for you that my stupidity pays 10 times the income yours does?

Can you earn $200 a day posting as a troll on Topix?

If not I need to revise my number to 30 times.

you best get back to your lego's, your feelings might get hurt here.
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

#71 Jan 16, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you earn $200 a day posting as a troll on Topix?
.
Yes Bubba, I can.

woof

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#72 Jan 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm suggesting that having the ability to get sick, be injured or have a child without risking your job may better suit both workers and the wider culture if offered as a right under reasonable terms, rather than a bonus.
The current American system classing these as benefits rather than rights creates a class of people on the edge of poverty with any change in their lives. It seems so very sad. And wonderfully wasteful.
"rights" as you describe them, have to be taken at the point of a gun.

Our system works quite well, when the Third World demographic is discounted from the numbers.

Your system is succumbing to Muslim colonization.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#73 Jan 16, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
you best get back to your lego's, your feelings might get hurt here.
Legos.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#74 Jan 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think you properly understand me. I'm talking about working conditions, that is, conditions for those who work, which would leave the employed in more stable and secure work settings, limiting interruptions to their work and leaving them better able to work and earn throughout the whole of their working lives. It's this added security that would contribute to being able to continue working and earning, as wages following labor isn't going to change with these adjustments.
You provide your own security by being competent or better in your job. If you can't do that, you don't DESERVE security.

Like it or not, humans compete. If you can't, you should be dead.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#75 Jan 16, 2014
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm suggesting that having the ability to get sick, be injured or have a child without risking your job may better suit both workers and the wider culture if offered as a right under reasonable terms, rather than a bonus.
The current American system classing these as benefits rather than rights creates a class of people on the edge of poverty with any change in their lives. It seems so very sad. And wonderfully wasteful.
Do you give sick leave to the kid who mows your lawn? Pregnancy benefits to your babysitter? When you do, you might be in a position to opine what other employers ought to do.

People who do just enough to get by (if that), are what creates people on the edge of poverty. I heard one young amn working on a loading dock say "If I work faster, I won't get as many hours". He'll stay on the edge of poverty for quite awhile with that attitude. Anyone with a real work ethic will be able to chart their own course.
Buckeye by birth

Elkhart, IN

#76 Jan 17, 2014
It's a phrase used by the "COMMUNIST"to get hold of N.Korea,and the "COMMUNIST" to get hold of Cuba.they convinced the people that equal would solve all their social injustice,and everyone would be equal in pay,the car they drive,the house they live in etc.BUT!!,what they didn't tell them is that the Elites would live far better then they are to live.And that they would become mere surfs or wards of the State.And thats what this Leftist named Obama wants for you and me!!...Obama is a "COMMUNIST" everytime he opens his mouth,his Leftist leanings falls out for everyone to see,except the low information voters, who believe he is the second coming in disguise,but he is a poor Communist in disguise!!!,,,,,His whole Presidency is based on fooling us,and he nothing but a lying "SOCIALIST"who believes his second term is by folks who know this,and he thinkis with his drugged out mind that he is a "DICTATOR"after all no one is stopping him!.We better,because if we don't,you can kiss FREEDOM goodbye....Inequality!,Obama is barrowing that phrase from his pals, every Leftest that ever lived......
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#77 Jan 17, 2014
To Buckeye by birth, Right on, ye hit the nail on the head, By Jove, your post 76 is the best summation of what's going on I have read yet!
Truer words were never spoken or in this case never written!!!!!
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

#78 Jan 17, 2014
Buckeye by birth wrote:
It's a phrase used by the "COMMUNIST"to get hold of N.Korea,and the "COMMUNIST" to get hold of Cuba.they convinced the people that equal would solve all their social injustice,and everyone would be equal in pay,the car they drive,the house they live in etc.BUT!!,what they didn't tell them is that the Elites would live far better then they are to live.And that they would become mere surfs or wards of the State.And thats what this Leftist named Obama wants for you and me!!...Obama is a "COMMUNIST" everytime he opens his mouth,his Leftist leanings falls out for everyone to see,except the low information voters, who believe he is the second coming in disguise,but he is a poor Communist in disguise!!!,,,,,His whole Presidency is based on fooling us,and he nothing but a lying "SOCIALIST"who believes his second term is by folks who know this,and he thinkis with his drugged out mind that he is a "DICTATOR"after all no one is stopping him!.We better,because if we don't,you can kiss FREEDOM goodbye....Inequality!,Obama is barrowing that phrase from his pals, every Leftest that ever lived......
So, you have me confused. Is he a communist or a socialist?

woof
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#79 Jan 17, 2014
He's both. in the socialist geosphere, socialist being the center of the umbrella, while Nazism is the right and communism is the left. Consequently, one can be a center socialist or right Nazi/socialist or left communist/socialist. not hard to understand.
Stay confused!
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

#80 Jan 17, 2014
dunadd wrote:
He's both. in the socialist geosphere, socialist being the center of the umbrella, while Nazism is the right and communism is the left. Consequently, one can be a center socialist or right Nazi/socialist or left communist/socialist. not hard to understand.
Stay confused!
I suggest you refund your monthly social security checks to the government if you feel so strongly.

woof
Buckeye by birth

Elkhart, IN

#81 Jan 17, 2014
His policies are socialistic,taking wealth from the "RICH,AND REDISTRIBUTION" to the poor.Obamacare is a good example,so is the minum wage.A cook flipping eggs, makes the same amount of pay as a factory worker lifting seventy pounds an hour at a factory,or some other labor intense job.Thats socialism,Obama is a COMMUNIST,who is pushing his socialism upon us......Obama hates Capitalism,he wants Big Government,he wants centralized contol,may explain his hundreds of visits by the head of the IRS during that debacle,.and attacking tea party,patriots,and people of faith,and holding back their tax exemtions.Obama's father,and mother were COMMUNIST"and Obama seems to have alot of them in his administration!,or is that just a "COINCIDENTAL" remember Vanjones?...During his college days he prased Leftist leaning "RADICLES" or is that just a coincidental toooooooo!!...Obama;Marxist,Co mmunist Socialist he is a Leftist...
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#82 Jan 17, 2014
The last time I saw anyone's SS check, O's name wasn't on it.
Plus the fact when mailing out SS checks, the Gub'mint ain't giving anyone anything the person didn't pay in first. It is total confiscatory money confiscated from the workers' pay checks.
Are you also commie? or natural born stupid?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jason Alexander shifts from TV to run live show... Thu roshan 1
News Christina Aguilera Taught Me How to Sing for $90 Jun 22 kelly 1
News Watch: Justin Bieber falls from stage in Canada Jun 19 Bag Hag Snag 1
News A legend in the re-making (Jun '15) Jun 15 Kare 4
News Meryl Streep takes stage dressed as Donald Trum... Jun 9 Go Blue Forever 31
News Jones Beach Theater storm policy leaves patrons... (Jun '08) Jun 8 You Need A Shower 44
News Why It's Time To Jump on The Last Ship Jun 7 Elise Gingerich 1
More from around the web