Carlsbad City Council concerns hold up Cavern Theater donation

Jan 21, 2014 Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus 20

The proposed donation from theater owner Bob Light of Light Company was removed from the meeting's agenda by Mayor Dale Janway before the council could consider it.

Read more
GOOD

Artesia, NM

#1 Jan 21, 2014
Thanks for looking out for the Tax-Payers on this one!! J.R.and Jason!!!
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Jan 21, 2014
GOOD wrote:
Thanks for looking out for the Tax-Payers on this one!! J.R.and Jason!!!
I agree! Thanks for helping keep Carlsbad a culture-free low-bred banjo-pickin' hillbilly zone!
In the best interest

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Jan 21, 2014
Screw the asbestos theater. Money pit waiting to happen.
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#4 Jan 21, 2014
In the best interest wrote:
Screw the asbestos theater. Money pit waiting to happen.
Screw your presumption that you speak "In the best interest". You speak from the realm where cousins marry brothers of mothers.

It would be "In the best interest" for you to STFU!
eustis

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Jan 22, 2014
this project is foisted upon us by people who want all this culture but are NOT willing to pay their fair share....

they want the taxpayer to pay for the money pit

in the best interest is correct.. it is a MONEY PIT

WE DON'T NEED IT, TEAR IT DOWN AND MAKE A PARKING LOT
In the best interest

Carlsbad, NM

#6 Jan 22, 2014
If you want the city to waste your money on that kind of garbage, maybe you should run for mayor and do something about it. The problem with that is, you come off as a complete, 100% moron, and you'd get no votes. So...I say screw the asbestos theater, and you, right along with it. Go chain yourself to the doors and make love to the building. Hippie idiot.
OoooJRnJason wrote:
<quoted text>
Screw your presumption that you speak "In the best interest". You speak from the realm where cousins marry brothers of mothers.
It would be "In the best interest" for you to STFU!
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Jan 22, 2014
eustis wrote:
this project is foisted upon us by people who want all this culture but are NOT willing to pay their fair share....
they want the taxpayer to pay for the money pit
in the best interest is correct.. it is a MONEY PIT
WE DON'T NEED IT, TEAR IT DOWN AND MAKE A PARKING LOT
Where in the HEL( did you come up with this stupid assertion?!

You could use a little culture yourself1 Learn a little bit and pay attention instead of paying lip service to the "We Gotta Save Money and Do Without to have any Self-Respect" Folks. It's a tired argument and holds little water. Carlsbad is FLUSH with funds folks! If not now when?
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Jan 22, 2014
If you want the city to waste your money on that kind of garbage, maybe you should run for mayor and do something about it. The problem with that is, you come off as a complete, 100% moron, and you'd get no votes. So...I say screw the asbestos theater, and you, right along with it. Go chain yourself to the doors and make love to the building. Hippie idiot.
<quoted text>
I'd far rather have the City do something positive for the Citizens for once. ALL the Citizens, not just the children, sports fans and golfers. The moron here is you fool! why would you want to live in a little hick town that has little more to offer than Allsup's, a HS football stadium and a high meth addict rate? Most likely because you're a little hick meth head living on Allsup's chimichangas. Again, we can say "screw you" all day. Call me a "Hippie Idiot" and I'll take solace in the fact that you are in fact a little hick.

Get ready skoal for brains, Carlsbad is about to get a Theater to renovate!
eustis

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Jan 22, 2014
OoooJRnJason wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd far rather have the City do something positive for the Citizens for once. ALL the Citizens, not just the children, sports fans and golfers. The moron here is you fool! why would you want to live in a little hick town that has little more to offer than Allsup's, a HS football stadium and a high meth addict rate? Most likely because you're a little hick meth head living on Allsup's chimichangas. Again, we can say "screw you" all day. Call me a "Hippie Idiot" and I'll take solace in the fact that you are in fact a little hick.
This is a common liberal response.
If U do not agree with a liberal, they call you names

so sad
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Jan 22, 2014
eustis wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a common liberal response.
If U do not agree with a liberal, they call you names
so sad
Eustis boy,

you could easily replace the word "liberal" in your post to anything. Rednecks, Tea Partiers, Teachers, Cops, Politicians, Preachers, Mothers......
It IS so sad that you can't come up with anything better than calling everything you fear, mis-trust or simply don't understand "liberal".

Come up with something original to post. Something related to the Theater maybe.

Since: Feb 09

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Jan 22, 2014
well....if it is being donated to the city...then its a plus....dont look a gift horse in the mouth.....jason is right though to put it on hold till the figures can be crunched.....asbestos doesnt always have to be remediated...and if the city were to push for historic building status and get some fed or state help to get it up to standard then it would be a great addition to the city because it will provide another venue for culture awareness and replace maybe the little theater .....but rather than bring it up and get it shot down and put on hold for a year...better to wait and present all the info needed....bob light will only get 1/3 of the sale price for a tax break...so since no body has given him any credence here....thanks bob for the generousness and if it is taken by the city i vote to name it after you and your wife....thanks...or maybe even mr . dixon...
In the best interest

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Jan 22, 2014
You are soooooo retarded. You pretend to think you know what's going on. Yet you have absolutely no clue. If the city takes this pit, then they are fools. But, since they are not you, they won't take it. It is full of asbestos that literally falls from the ceiling. It is an artsy fartsy idea that no one will ever care about. Nothing in mainstreet is worth the time of anyone with a brain. Now, you wanna be all billy bad a s s and pretend you know what the real story is, fine. But you are dead wrong. Dead wrong.
OoooJRnJason wrote:
<quoted text>
reality

Carlsbad, NM

#13 Jan 23, 2014
You are soooooo retarded. You pretend to think you know what's going on. Yet you have absolutely no clue. If the city takes this pit, then they are fools. But, since they are not you, they won't take it. It is full of asbestos that literally falls from the ceiling. It is an artsy fartsy idea that no one will ever care about. Nothing in mainstreet is worth the time of anyone with a brain. Now, you wanna be all billy bad a s s and pretend you know what the real story is, fine. But you are dead wrong. Dead wrong.
<quoted text>
you are correct..... a money pit waiting to happen
if carlsbad has excess $$$, then lower the tax rate
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#14 Jan 23, 2014
<quoted text>
Well I guess "Ah dun bin tol' off". I don't pretend a thing you ignorant inbred boob. Clueless? That would be you. You know what is going on yet maintain that the"city" are not fools. No? Well then "In the best interest" of your inane, cliché and decidedly ignorant rant you need to pay more attention. You sum it up for us with the completely stupid redneck based-in-fear references to artsy artsy and billy bad ass. I never thought I was "billy bad ass" but if I have you THIS scared of a little personal improvement so be it.

We'll sit back and watch what happens and see who will be "dead wrong".
In the best interest

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Jan 23, 2014
Yes we will. Now, go make love to your building.
OoooJRnJason wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I guess "Ah dun bin tol' off". I don't pretend a thing you ignorant inbred boob. Clueless? That would be you. You know what is going on yet maintain that the"city" are not fools. No? Well then "In the best interest" of your inane, cliché and decidedly ignorant rant you need to pay more attention. You sum it up for us with the completely stupid redneck based-in-fear references to artsy artsy and billy bad ass. I never thought I was "billy bad ass" but if I have you THIS scared of a little personal improvement so be it.
We'll sit back and watch what happens and see who will be "dead wrong".
Ben

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Jan 23, 2014
If they do take it and turn it into a nice theather after using the taxes from the oil money, then all you will see when attending a function is lights from everyones cell phones that they will use while watching any show. Go to the movies nowdays and that is all you see is the lights from everyones cell phone. Not worth it anymore even though they try to ban them.
Zach

United States

#17 Jan 24, 2014
Between myself (bobs grandson), jason, J.R, and the mayor, we were able to get it pulled from the agenda. Bob wanted to donate it asap for tax reasons when the city had no idea what they were getting into. If it ever does get donated, it's going to be funded with lodgers tax (which we all know there's not enough of). The project could easily amount to 5-10 million. Also, it's not exactly the city that's pushing for it. John Tulley, ex city administrator has been talking to bob privately trying to push him to get this done.

I had a meeting with J.R. and the Mayor this morning. I stressed to them that they shouldnt put this direcrly on the tax payers when we clearly have many other things to worry about. As a result, the project will be put on hold. We're forming a committee with either myself or J.R. as the chairman to figure our real numbers on exactly how it will be funded, renovation costs etc..

I'll keep you guys updated.

Since: Feb 09

Euless, TX

#18 Jan 24, 2014
thanks Zack but you have to remember that asbestos doesn't always have to be remediated it can be left in place as long as the fibers are good thing also I believe it won't take very much to make it handy cap compliance just because it offers a balcony doesn't mean the handicapped people have to have access to it as long as I have access to other seating areas but what I'm afraid of most especially if totally is involved is they will get this donation tear down and make it part of the sheriff's offices
Omg

Ruidoso, NM

#19 Jan 25, 2014
Asbestos is the smallest expense on this project! Keep hearing Asbestos Asbestos that's only 100k at the most! The big expense is ADA compliance,electrical, roof, heating and cooling, sound , lighting, seating, plumbing, restrooms a stage, dressing rooms etc. we cannot just get the building remove Asbestos and move in!! This is what the community does not get!! It sounds good to get the building but they are not thinking about the big picture after renovations the seating is only going to be about 300 because the stage has to come out at least 50ft. We have to add on to the building. Where do you thing people are going to get dressed and all the stage props stored! The Eddy County jail is not an option!
OoooJRnJason

Carlsbad, NM

#20 Jan 25, 2014
Yes we will. Now, go make love to your building.
<quoted text>
You ignorant cousin-kissin Hilbilly, you couldn't possibly just leave it at,

"We'll sit back and watch what happens and see who will be "dead wrong".

Typical ignorant hillbilly response. You MUST have the last word, even if it amounts to a sophomoric little "neener-neener".

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Theater Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Puppet show offers unique viewing experience in... 2 hr Free Kwame 1
News Local group Slutwalk Baltimore plans to protest... Sun Friday Love 1
News New Harlem cinema big on Imagenation (Aug '06) Mar 28 The Driver 1,616
News Performances of 'Stomp' canceled after building... Mar 27 ImmaGetMeSome 1
News Bill Clinton's 'flaws' the subject of off-Broad... Mar 27 Far Away 2
News Kurt Cobain Documentary Producer Reveals Seattl... Mar 22 hokaido 1
News Community Profile: Berwyn IL Real Estate (May '09) Mar 20 rico 77
More from around the web