The Making of Bass Reeves Monument

The Making of Bass Reeves Monument

There are 26 comments on the 5NEWSonline.com story from May 15, 2012, titled The Making of Bass Reeves Monument. In it, 5NEWSonline.com reports that:

One of the first African American U.S. Marshals west of the Mississippi will soon have a memorial statue in Fort Smith.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 5NEWSonline.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
smokingm

United States

#22 May 17, 2012
the statue was a great idea and would have been a great addition to fort smith if so many smoking mirrors were not attached to the $300,000. you can bet that a lot of taxpayer money was moved from here to there and back again! the statue is a great idea but not now when so many people have lost their jobs in the city. its a slap in the face for people that are having trouble supporting their families! just my opinion!
graymatter

Fort Smith, AR

#23 May 18, 2012
looked at the group of contributors on this statue and the donors listed are the very people that make a great living off of city tax dollars that are spent with their companies! nothing appears to be wrong on the surface but did notice that the juneteenth organization was a donor also and that organization never told contributors that contributions to them would not fund juneteenth events and be used for a statue! again, I support the idea of the statue but not the way it was handled because most of the contributors are operating off city tax dollars, state tax dollars, and federal tax dollars! it just gives the appearance of a crony network of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!" it just looks funny.
cantbelieveit

Fort Smith, AR

#24 May 29, 2012
the taxpayers of fort smith are overcharged over 23 million dollars every year on their water bills and they get a 300,000 dollar statue. yes the statue is a great addition to judge parkers courthouse but think the taxpayers deserve a little more bang for their buck! an overcharge of 50 dollars per month on their water bills is a lot of money and what is gods name are they doing with all the money?
graymoney

Fort Smith, AR

#25 May 29, 2012
graymatter wrote:
looked at the group of contributors on this statue and the donors listed are the very people that make a great living off of city tax dollars that are spent with their companies! nothing appears to be wrong on the surface but did notice that the juneteenth organization was a donor also and that organization never told contributors that contributions to them would not fund juneteenth events and be used for a statue! again, I support the idea of the statue but not the way it was handled because most of the contributors are operating off city tax dollars, state tax dollars, and federal tax dollars! it just gives the appearance of a crony network of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours!" it just looks funny.
it looks more than funny because it has an odor too!
Juneteenth

Rogers, AR

#26 May 29, 2012
From Juneteenth's website:

The mission of the Juneteenth Planning Commission, Inc.(JPCI) is to educate people of the significance that the African-American race has in the construction and diversity of our great nation, before, during and after the inhumane slavery era and the signing of the “Emancipation Proclamation” in 1863.

Seems like a donation to the Bass Reeves statue is exactly in line with its state mission. Bass Reeves was born a slave, became a deputy marshall and arrested more outlaws than any other deputy in the Fort Smith area.

Juneteenth's donation was exactly for its stated mission.

Well done Fort Smith Juneteenth Planning Commission! There may be no black man in the Fort Smith history more suitable to represent your cause than Bass Reeves.
parker

Fort Smith, AR

#27 May 30, 2012
greatness comes from the heart not from the color of a persons skin! the world would be a much better place if everyone forgot about color and judged greatness in a man or woman by their contribution to all people!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sculpting Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News GumTree Arts Festival showcases local, out-of-s... (May '16) May '16 Marketing 1
News Exhibition explores art and studio practice of ... (Apr '15) Apr '15 Abigail 1
News The Rest (Jan '15) Jan '15 Austrian truth 2
News The makeover that's divided a nation (Aug '14) Sep '14 x-y-z-w 9
figures (Sep '13) Sep '13 brian 1
instead cabosil, aerosil etc (Apr '13) Apr '13 Pshimi 2
News What Do Mother Teresa and Oprah Have in Common?... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Ozzy 1
More from around the web