Happy Birthday, John Updike, Prolific...

Happy Birthday, John Updike, Prolific Novelist, Critic and Poet

There are 4 comments on the findingDulcinea story from Mar 17, 2010, titled Happy Birthday, John Updike, Prolific Novelist, Critic and Poet. In it, findingDulcinea reports that:

John Updike is one of America's most beloved authors, known for "The Witches of Eastwick," the "Rabbit" novel series and his final work, "The Widows of Eastwick," published just months before his death on Jan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at findingDulcinea.

Rick Rickelson

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Mar 29, 2010
this was a terrible review. thanks for wasting my time

Uvalno, Czech Republic

#2 Apr 1, 2010
Interesting information in here. I'm looking forward to reading more on Updike.

Asia/Pacific Region

#3 Apr 8, 2010
Has one of his earlier works, pigeon feathers, one of my fav short reads that I return to time and again. Left in indelible impression. Belatedly learnt of his death only early this year. There's none like him.

Since: Mar 10

Covered Bridge Pa.

#4 May 31, 2010
I recently posted this in another forum, you might find it interesting.

We had a terrifying thunder storm here the night before last, a common occurrence 'round these parts since I live almost at the pinnacle of a large mountain that overlooks Morgantown. To step outside during one of these events, with lightening touching down everywhere is truly a fearful thing. Reminded me of a story I wanted to tell you about our most famous native son, writer John Updike, and about his parents and an old stone Plowville Inn just walking distance from me.
Wesley Updike was his fathers name, a neer'dowell from Reading that was courting an educated but failed writer/poet from the Morgantown area named Linda Grace Hoyer, they were not rich, this was the depression, but they had a farm with horses and were considered by most gentility. She was insistent that Mr. Updike settle down, quit his hard drinking and marry her. Their relationship grew ever more contentious until one day after returning from a visit with her, he and his best friend stopped at the Inn which I mentioned earlier to “whet their whistle.” A horrific thunderstorm blew in while they were inside drinking, Updikes best friend stepped outside to secure the horses and was struck dead by a bolt of lighting.
This event so impacted Mr. Updike that he instantly changed his ways, earning a teaching degree, marrying Miss. Hoyer, even moving her parents to their home so he could support them. John Updike was born in 1932 in Reading Pa. Thanks to his fathers educational discipline and the poet that resided in his mother heart, he graduated from Harvard University, spent a year at Oxford then became one of the most respected writers of the second half of the Twentieth Century.
One small caveat to this fairy tale ending. Maybe because teaching was not Wesley Updikes true passion, he was not very good at it, very often laid-off then rehired, often times working construction to earn money. In numerous autobiographies John Updike mentions the pain it caused him watching his father's inability to control his class, to hold court as it were. In fact, it made such an impression on him that he found it more interesting to write about men that were flawed and struggled with themselves rather than the typical heroic figure of most novels.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Popular Fiction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Goldilocks Was a Hipster (Oct '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News 'The Golem of Hollywood' (Oct '14) Oct '14 Kid_Tomorrow 1
News Exploring Belgrade's English Books Scene (Feb '13) Feb '13 Serbonazis 1
News Valentine's Day: Couples in History (Feb '13) Feb '13 rrfrf 1
News Fifty Shades vies for book prize (Nov '12) Nov '12 Percy_K_Skylar 1
"Leviathan" (1989) (Aug '11) Aug '11 Abishai100 1
Book reviewers wanted! (May '11) May '11 Mary Thresher 2