Obama taps Latino poet for inauguration

Jan 9, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WAPT-TV Jackson

Richard Blanco, the poet who likes to describe himself as being made in Cuba, assembled in Spain and imported to the United States, will serve as the inaugural poet when President Barack Obama takes the oath of office for a second term this month.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Sandy

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Obama has been a weak, impotent let down who is devoured by the GOP on a daily basis ,he has no backbone no balls when it comes to fighting the GOP and he has no fight in him , instead of a latino poet he should consider a latino doctor for testerone injections and while at it he should pick some up for all talk Cuba libre WDC, Tougluck and Liger.
I'll be happy to pay for it
Sandy

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2013

Armando wrote:
Siempre los Cubanos somos los lideres y los primeros!
Hehehehe pobres Inditos acomplejados!La envidia les debe estar cocinando los higados!
Hi
I am White American and REAL White like Anglo not your version of Miami Cuban "White" pfffffffft.

I do see that the poet is Cuban and I must admit that for people who are simply not capable of liberating their island nor ethical and efficient gvmt, you certainly do get around and wind up in high places.

“Shadowville All-Stars”

Since: Dec 08

Columbus, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Richard Blanco (born Madrid, Spain, February 15, 1968) is an American poet and teacher. He is scheduled to be the 2013 inaugural poet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blanco

Blanco immigrated to Miami with his Cuban exile family and was raised and educated there. He earned a B.S. from Florida International University in Civil Engineering in 1991 and his Master in Fine Arts in Creative Writing in 1997, where he studied with Campbell McGrath.

Since 1999, he traveled and lived in Guatemala and Brazil. He taught at Georgetown University, American University, and Central Connecticut State University.[1][2]

He explored his Cuban heritage in his early works and his role as a gay man in Cuban-American culture in Looking for the Gulf Motel (2012). He explained: "It's trying to understand how I fit between negotiating the world, between being mainstream gay and being Cuban gay."[3]

His work has appeared in The Nation, Ploughshares,[4] Indiana Review, Michigan Quarterly Review, TriQuarterly Review, New England Review, and Americas Review. Blanco is part of the online Letras Latinas Oral History Project archives.

On January 8, 2013, he was named the inaugural poet for Barack Obama's second inauguration, the fifth person to play that role. He is the first immigrant, first Latino, and first gay person to be inaugural poet.[5] He is also the youngest.[6]

He lives in Bethel, Maine with his partner.[3] In the poem "Queer Theory, According to My Grandmother," he described how his grandmother warned him as a young boy: "For Godís sake, never pee sitting down.../Iíve seen you" and "Don't stare at The Six-Million-Dollar Man./Iíve seen you." and "Never dance alone in your room."[7]

When asked in a May 7, 2012 interview with La Bloga whether he considered himself a Cuban writer or simply a writer, Blanco responded: "I am a writer who happens to be Cuban, but I reserve the right to write about anything I want, not just my cultural identity. Aesthetically and politically, I don't exclusively align myself with any one particular groupóLatino, Cuban, gay, or 'white'óbut I embrace them all. Good writing is good writing. I like what I like.
Gitano

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Good for him, he thinks for himself ,I have found that close to unheard of here .

"The Cuban community that doesnít care about corruption when it casts its vote was critically portrayed by most leading city columnists and others, Cuban and otherwise. Robert Steinback, a Black Miami Herald columnist, said the Cuban community is gullible. Liz Balmaseda calls it ďa knee-jerk majorityĒ that would elect a hamster wearing a Cuba Libre T-shirt, and,ďThey only cared that he was Cuban.Ē

http://www.popularsovranty.org/mdc.shtml
Gitano

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Will Dockery wrote:
Richard Blanco (born Madrid, Spain, February 15, 1968) is an American poet and teacher. He is scheduled to be the 2013 inaugural poet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Blanco
Blanco immigrated to Miami with his Cuban exile family and was raised and educated there. He earned a B.S. from Florida International University in Civil Engineering in 1991 and his Master in Fine Arts in Creative Writing in 1997, where he studied with Campbell McGrath.
Since 1999, he traveled and lived in Guatemala and Brazil. He taught at Georgetown University, American University, and Central Connecticut State University.[1][2]
He explored his Cuban heritage in his early works and his role as a gay man in Cuban-American culture in Looking for the Gulf Motel (2012). He explained: "It's trying to understand how I fit between negotiating the world, between being mainstream gay and being Cuban gay."[3]
His work has appeared in The Nation, Ploughshares,[4] Indiana Review, Michigan Quarterly Review, TriQuarterly Review, New England Review, and Americas Review. Blanco is part of the online Letras Latinas Oral History Project archives.
On January 8, 2013, he was named the inaugural poet for Barack Obama's second inauguration, the fifth person to play that role. He is the first immigrant, first Latino, and first gay person to be inaugural poet.[5] He is also the youngest.[6]
He lives in Bethel, Maine with his partner.[3] In the poem "Queer Theory, According to My Grandmother," he described how his grandmother warned him as a young boy: "For Godís sake, never pee sitting down.../Iíve seen you" and "Don't stare at The Six-Million-Dollar Man./Iíve seen you." and "Never dance alone in your room."[7]
When asked in a May 7, 2012 interview with La Bloga whether he considered himself a Cuban writer or simply a writer, Blanco responded: "I am a writer who happens to be Cuban, but I reserve the right to write about anything I want, not just my cultural identity. Aesthetically and politically, I don't exclusively align myself with any one particular groupóLatino, Cuban, gay, or 'white'óbut I embrace them all. Good writing is good writing. I like what I like.
" he described how his grandmother warned him as a young boy: "For Godís sake, never pee sitting down.../Iíve seen you" and "Don't stare at The Six-Million-Dollar Man./Iíve seen you."

My friend Armando did the same thing as a child and now as an adult he does a bit more than just "stare" at the at The Six-Million-Dollar Man.
Cuba libre indeed.
Compassionate One

Sparta, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

callese mojon

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 6 of6
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••