Court: Photographer who wouldn't work...

Court: Photographer who wouldn't work a gay wedding violated anti-discrimination law

There are 28 comments on the www.abajournal.com story from Aug 22, 2013, titled Court: Photographer who wouldn't work a gay wedding violated anti-discrimination law. In it, www.abajournal.com reports that:

A Christian photographer who refused to photograph the wedding of a gay couple violated state anti-discrimination laws, the New Mexico Supreme Court ruled Thursday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.abajournal.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#21 Aug 23, 2013
Frontline Fighter wrote:
The government gets dumber and dumber. Actions like this will contribute to the growth of the black market. That will be people providing their services in a non-public way - they'll work only with people who come to them through word of mouth and personal references. You can be sure that any payments will be under the table and may be even done with bartering. Taxes will not be paid, and the government will not get their money. I've come to see this as a really good thing.
People said the same thing when white businesses were told they couldn't refuse service to blacks.

While I'm sure some black market like action did take place, most people simply got over it and followed the law.

Bottom line, a business doesn't have the right to discriminate, no matter what their personal beliefs are.

Tawas City, Michigan

#22 Aug 23, 2013
21 states ban discrimination in public accommodation based on sexual orientation.

Not surprisingly the deep south from Texas to Florida up to Virginia form a solid block of discrimination, just like they ALWAYS have whether the issue is equal rights for gays or women or blacks etc.

Long live the confederacy!

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#23 Aug 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
Not sure they'd have jurisdiction since it involves a state anti-discrimination law and not federal.
Either way, the NM Supremes slapped them down pretty hard.
It's a state law, but her lawyers have been asserting a federal right to free expression. This one will be in the SCOTUS in box when they get back from summer vacation.

Tawas City, Michigan

#24 Aug 23, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>It's a state law, but her lawyers have been asserting a federal right to free expression. This one will be in the SCOTUS in box when they get back from summer vacation.
I don't know. I haven't been able to find a single case decided either way by the SCOTUS involving state public accommodation laws.

The only case which comes close is the BSA case, but that was decided on private versus public entity membership. Since they were a private organization they didn't have to follow anti-discrimination policies in their membership selection due to freedom of association.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#25 Aug 23, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
I don't know. I haven't been able to find a single case decided either way by the SCOTUS involving state public accommodation laws.
The only case which comes close is the BSA case, but that was decided on private versus public entity membership. Since they were a private organization they didn't have to follow anti-discrimination policies in their membership selection due to freedom of association.
As far as I know, these laws haven't been challenged on the federal level when it comes to protections based on sexual orientation and religious exceptionalism. With more working their way through state systems, they are going to have to deal with the issue eventually.

Tawas City, Michigan

#26 Aug 24, 2013
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>As far as I know, these laws haven't been challenged on the federal level when it comes to protections based on sexual orientation and religious exceptionalism. With more working their way through state systems, they are going to have to deal with the issue eventually.
Eventually. I'm just not sure the SCOTUS is that eager to take on another gay rights case. If they do, I can't imagine Kennedy going against us, so I wouldn't think the anti-gays would be all that eager to push the case either. A SCOTUS ruling that gays can't be discriminated against in public accommodation would be another major setback for them. But then the anti-gays have never been known for their strategic thinking- i.e. knowing when to cut their losses.
Sparkle

Bellevue, WA

#27 Aug 24, 2013
ha ha ha bigot christard... you lost

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#28 Aug 24, 2013
The court found that Elane Photography’s refusal to serve Vanessa Willock violated the act, which “prohibits a public accommodation from refusing to offer its services to a person based on that person’s sexual orientation,” according to the ruling.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/356498/n...

BTW I hope everyone is starting to prepare for all these bans to be ruled unconstitutional based on the 1943 SCOTUS decision in West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette.

"The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts. One's right to life, liberty, and property, to free speech, a free press, freedom of worship and assembly, and other fundamental rights may not be submitted to vote; they depend on the outcome of no elections."

AMENDMENT IX
The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Marriage is NOT a States Right!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Photography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'This is what we lost': Alberta artist honours ... Nov 20 Super Chug 1
News Echoes of a Lost West End Nov '17 POPS 1
News On Valentine's Day, couple celebrates romance b... (Feb '14) Nov '17 ROFLcopter 17
News PHOTOS: 25 Photographs from The Denver Post Pho... Oct '17 surfeagle 1
News Some of earliest US landscape photos coming to ... Sep '17 Rosa 3
News Pick out your best shots for Camera Club's Phot... (Feb '09) Sep '17 ODSP picks on her 3
News New coffee-table book highlights Columbus' crea... Aug '17 Zoe Regen 3
More from around the web