Majority of U.S. citizens say illegal immigrants should be deported

Feb 20, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Reuters

Our day's top images, in-depth photo essays and offbeat slices of life. See the best of Reuters photography.

Comments
81 - 100 of 880 Comments Last updated Jun 27, 2013

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#85 Feb 21, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
No it would not. Every other nation in the world arrests illegals and sends them home. USA we give them freebies and set them up for great lives.....STUPID.
Which has nothing to do with the price of labor in America without the illegals or "guest workers".

Raise the cost of labor and you have to raise the price of the product sold to compensate for that. Raise it too much and the company can't compete with cheaper foreign produced products.

You don't really think the CEO's of these companies are just going to eat the additional labor costs do you? You can't be THAT naive.

Just as minimum wage laws increase the price of products sold, so will increased labor costs from getting rid of low wage illegal or guest workers.

Tawas City, Michigan

#86 Feb 21, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Did not say force....I am a Libertarian. I AM AGAINT FORCE AND REGULATION...Just said it is what has to happen for anything to get better.
The ancient Greeks who invented democracy and even many of our founding fathers said when big business would control the govwernment democracy would end....THAT IS WHERE WE ARE TODAY.
Again you're being EXTEMELY naive if you think big business and a handful of rich people haven't been controlling this country since our founding.

Keep wishing for the benevolent CEO; they don't exist because you don't build a business into a Fortune 500 company by not making a significant profit.

Get rid of cheap labor and you can kiss the remaining manufacturing in America goodbye. We will become a 100% import nation.

Tawas City, Michigan

#87 Feb 21, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I live in Florida and you can easily see, that many of the illegals are here to do the jobs....americans just won't do, for whatever reasons....plant nursery work, fruit and vegetable harvesting and agricultural work, meat processing work....i even think the crew that reroofed my house had several illegal or undocumented workers.....they aren't necessarily here to take anyone elses jobs at all....I'm not sure many of our state's citrus growers could survive without them.....
Yep, most Americans simply won't do manual labor anymore, and most companies which rely on manual labor can't compete with foreign prices if they have to pay typical American union level wages.

Bottom line is we need a significant pool of cheap manual labor to compete with foreign countries. That's why every immigration reform plan includes a guest worker program; they know once the current illegals are made citizens they'll demand the same high wages all other Americans expect. So we'll still need to import a block of workers are willing to do the work cheaper. The trick of course is getting them to go back home again and not just become a new class of illegals.

Tawas City, Michigan

#88 Feb 21, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny how a CEO and top 20 paid at a company can make more than all hourly wage workers together and that is ok. But workers cant make living wage??
When GM got bailout the CEO and next 19 highest paid front office people made more then all union workers combined each year.....WHY BLAME WORKERS??
The average UAW worker made $75/hr PLUS benefits. That's a tad bit more than simply a "living wage".

Why not pay all workers $1 million a year?

Again, keep wishing CEO's don't make more than their workers; you'll only continue to be disappointed.
Truth Speaker

Danielson, CT

#89 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Baloney.
Many hispanic US citizens speak spanish as their primary language. How many people carry around a certified copy of their long form birth certificat with them everywhere they go?
If I were Hispanic oh thank Heaven I am not, and thought I would be confused with a lowlife illegal alien, I would want the government to round up the roaches and deport them. Oh, wait, American-born Hispanics love illegal aliens and support their so-called rights, over those of their fellow Americans. Sounds like treason to me, but I'm not a lawyer, just an American sick of the Mexican scum in this country and the even lower scum that advocates for them.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#90 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, most Americans simply won't do manual labor anymore, and most companies which rely on manual labor can't compete with foreign prices if they have to pay typical American union level wages.
Bottom line is we need a significant pool of cheap manual labor to compete with foreign countries. That's why every immigration reform plan includes a guest worker program; they know once the current illegals are made citizens they'll demand the same high wages all other Americans expect. So we'll still need to import a block of workers are willing to do the work cheaper. The trick of course is getting them to go back home again and not just become a new class of illegals.
But we already have a great list of available labor....Welfare lists...EBT foodstamp rolls....Section 8 Housing lists...all highly available workers....

Tawas City, Michigan

#91 Feb 21, 2013
Truth Speaker wrote:
<quoted text>
If I were Hispanic oh thank Heaven I am not, and thought I would be confused with a lowlife illegal alien, I would want the government to round up the roaches and deport them. Oh, wait, American-born Hispanics love illegal aliens and support their so-called rights, over those of their fellow Americans. Sounds like treason to me, but I'm not a lawyer, just an American sick of the Mexican scum in this country and the even lower scum that advocates for them.
I'm guessing you wouldn't be real fond of anyone with darker skin even if there were no illegals in our country whatsoever.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#92 Feb 21, 2013
USA Today/Pew Research Poll:

On Approaches to Immigration:

Obama's..........50% approval

Congressional Republicans..33% approval
sickofit

Owatonna, MN

#93 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
The average UAW worker made $75/hr PLUS benefits. That's a tad bit more than simply a "living wage".
Again, keep wishing CEO's don't make more than their workers; you'll only continue to be disappointed.
Well since on economy what do you think would help our economy be better and have a strong middleclass again with good living wages?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#94 Feb 21, 2013
Gary wrote:
USA Today/Pew Research Poll:
On Approaches to Immigration:
Obama's..........50% approval
Congressional Republicans..33% approval
I've been waiting to see the Republican's proposed immigration plan?

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#95 Feb 21, 2013
au contraire wrote:
<quoted text>Medium Rare is better.
For you, overcooked is best.

Location hidden

#96 Feb 21, 2013
marlowe44 wrote:
<quoted text>
My my, what a nasty, foul mouthed troll you are.
Flattery will get you nowhere.

Location hidden

#97 Feb 21, 2013
Who wrote:
America doesn't have a gun problem.
America has a brown people problem.
America's biggest problem is a "Who" problem. Cretins like you are the cause. Evolution is the cure.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#98 Feb 21, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I've been waiting to see the Republican's proposed immigration plan?
Arbeit Macht Frei?
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#99 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Average wage for autoworkers is about $29 per hour, plus
pension, health care, life insurance, etc,.

Try again, dog meat.
Fed Up Vet

Herndon, VA

#100 Feb 21, 2013
OK. Letís put whatever immigration legislation congress comes up with to a nationwide referendum on the 2014 ballot before itís officially voted on. Let the voters decide, not the politicians.

“obamabot livs”

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#101 Feb 21, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with a crew that was half Mexican, well, Mexican by blood and family. They had heavy Mexican accents and spoke Spanish a lot, even learned a bit of it hanging out with them. This was in Tucson. The irony being, they were fourth generation legal citizens, their grandparents were born in the US.
Oh, and Mexico is part of America, so is *gasp* Canada. I know, it's hard to believe, but they are on this continent as well.
In general usage, the US is referred to as "America" and it's citizens are referred to as Americans.

I never lived in Tuscon, but I've known numerous hispanics that were born here and their English contains no spanish accent at all. My wife is Peruvian, the younger members of her extended family are mostly bi lingual and their English is perfect. A result of growing up here and attending American schools.

So, I have no idea why these people you refer to wouldn't speak flawless English

“obamabot livs”

Location hidden

#102 Feb 21, 2013
Go Blue Forever wrote:
<quoted text>I've been waiting to see the Republican's proposed immigration plan?
Finish the wall. How many Guatamalans are allowed into Mexico each year?

“obamabot livs”

Location hidden

#103 Feb 21, 2013
WeTheSheeple wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut welfare benefits and we'll have plenty of labor.
Gary

Bellingham, WA

#104 Feb 21, 2013
sickofit wrote:
<quoted text>
So if a enemy invades us and gets past the border we just let them??? Wow you are so wrong. THE ILLEGAL PEOPLE ARE ENEMIES AND NEED TO BE ROUNED UP AND SENT HOME......
Illegals are enemies?

You mean all those hard working people who harvest the
crops, get paid very little for it or are simply cheated
out of their wages by greedy farmers, and whose cheap labor
is responsible for the relatively low price of food we
have had in the US for so many years?

Go pick yer own strawberries, ya crumb!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Photography Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Diversity is a codeword for white genocide Aug 29 7987jkghj 1
Fidel is Fidel: Exhibition by artist Roberto Ch... Aug 26 WE JUST DONT CARE 14
Things To Do 8/14-8/20 Aug 14 Golly Gee 1
25 Reasons Why 303 Magazine Loves Colorado Aug 1 Petal Power 1
List of Photo Sharing Websites Aug 1 fotosonrisa 1
Cool River Gallery steps into nature (Jul '08) Jul '14 Steve 13
Art Star Legend Bruce Lurie Gallery Hosts Moira... Jul '14 Guest 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••