Anyone read Roark Bradford's books?

Posted in the Literature Forum

“Shhhhsh I'm sleeping”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#1 Feb 13, 2007
Just wondering if anyone likes Roark Bradford, he wrote John Henry and several other books.

Great stuff.
Boc

Hammond, LA

#2 Mar 2, 2007
I'm just beginning to discover him. He seems amazingly underated.

“Shhhhsh I'm sleeping”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#3 Mar 2, 2007
He was a great writer. If you get the chance pick up a copy of "Kingdom Coming" it's really good. Of course I also recommend my name sake "John Henry"

Page 1

Now John Henry was a man, but he's long dead. The night John Henry was born the moon was copper-colored and the sky was black. The stars wouldn't shine and the rain fell hard. Forked lightning cleaved the air and the earth trembled like a leaf. The panthers squalled in the brakes like a baby and the Mississippi River ran upstream for a thousand miles. John Henry weighed forty-four pounds.

lol...I love that. In this story John Henry is a steamboat roustabout, he loads bales of cotton aboard for tranpertation to market. The book is about the loves of his life,. women and work.
Damon Fordham

United States

#4 Mar 17, 2013
I read "Ol Man Adam & His Chillun" and its sequel "Ol King David & The Philistine Boys" as well as "The Green Roller"(which some consider his best work). Bradford was fond of Southern Black preachers' imaginative rendidtions of Biblical tales and admitted in the July 1940 issue of Reader's Digest to being inspired by a man named "Preacher Wes" (Rev. John Wesley Henning), a black preacher he knew in Tennessee as a boy. "Ol Man Adam" is the foundation of "The Green Pastures," a classic film about a black Sunday School teacher's rendition of Biblical stories. I never finished "John Henry" (a bit too far out for me), but what were "This Side of Jordan" and "Kingdom Coming" about?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Literature Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Learning German as a foreign language Apr 30 TW_sugar_daddio 10
News Nightclubs for literature? Why book selling is ... Apr 15 TW_sugar_daddio 10
News Diversity livesa "for books likely to be censored Apr 13 Abrahammock Relig... 13
News India And The Golden Age Of Islam Mar '15 Dawn of reality 4
News Mississippi Hill country offers history, good f... Mar '15 Lifelong Learning 1
writing and the internet Mar '15 scriblar 1
News Robert E. Lee's troubled legacy Feb '15 General Robert E Lee 2
More from around the web