Interior Mess! Please help
Cathy

Saint Peters, MO

#1 May 8, 2013
I've recently purchased a historic home that was completely remodeled and updated. Only problem is that I totally disagree with the previous owner's style and want to make a few changes before moving in.
At this point the only changes I can afford are paint colors however. But there are so many different elements to the home that I'm not sure which direction, color-wise, to go in. Here's the scoop:
The flooring is new, knotty pine with a clear coat. The staircase, centerpiece of the home, has been stained a dark brown/ reddish color. The trim is currently white, the kitchen cabinets have a mid toned orange/ red hue that does not match the floors, and the counter top is black with lighter grayish-tan specks. The entire first floor is pretty open so that the kitchen cabinets can be seen when entering the home (straight back on the wall in front of you), as well as from the dining room. The staircase can be seen from the entry way and the living room. Finding paint colors that compliment the pine floor as well as the cabinets has been the hardest part. But then there's the staircase issue as well. I would consider painting the trim a color other than white as has been suggested to me or maybe even painting the cabinets if need be (we'll remodel the whole kitchen in a couple years anyway).
What colors compliment a pine floor without giving the home a rustic or country look?
Please see photos, if I've done this right you should be able to click the image and be linked back to an album with more. Any help would be appreciated!
[URL=http://s1299.photobucket. com/user/Photosita/media/First %20floor%20before%20photos/ima ge_zps4a9af289.jpg.html][IMG]h ttp://i1299.photobucket.com/al bums/ag63/Photosita/First%20fl oor%20before%20photos/image_zp s4a9af289.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Another link to album just in case:
http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag63/Phot...
Cathy

Saint Peters, MO

#2 May 8, 2013
Oops! here's a link to entire ALBUM...

http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Photosita/s...

Since: Dec 13

Ahmedabad, India

#5 Dec 1, 2013
I think you should need to contact a good interior designer which can help you to solve your problem and hire only that interior designers who is must also be knowledgeable about the many types and characteristics of furnishings, accessories and ornaments used in creating interiors.
Maggie at Cherrie Hub

UK

#6 Dec 9, 2013
I kinda really like your stairs in some way, but I would set them with a contrasticg banister, like a beige / cream to match the wall colours in the living room. The kitchen looks dreadful, try changing the wall colour to a light cappucino, and you can always re-paint the kitchen units, instead buying new ones, and change the drawer knobs. How about the buttermilk shade for the kitchen cabinets, it will be nicely contrasting with the dark worktops, and change the knobs to the antique black iron ones. That could be the start :)
http://www.oneclick.cherriehub.co.uk/

Since: Feb 14

Los Angeles, CA

#7 Apr 9, 2014
Wow, it's really messy! since you do not agree with the interior design, the best way is to paint with new colour. Adding accessories to make the home look different.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Interior Design Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HELP - need backsplash advice asap Apr 4 Victor 3
How would I make an 80's room look feminine? Apr 4 kjm13 1
News Home Improvement (Jun '12) Mar 29 Sujay Ghosal 55
$31,000 Dining Set Mar '18 DCinteriordesigner 1
News Detroit bath house the Schvitz gets a new life Feb '18 Schvitzer 2
News 2018 Mediterra Model Home Showcase Starts Feb. 10 Feb '18 Cuban Coffee 1
News Ripe Cuisine Opens Storefront in the Heights Feb '18 Walter glen stock... 4