How can I clean my pointes?
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“dance”

Since: Oct 07

in Wyoming

#81 Nov 15, 2007
Consider the dirt on pointe shoes as well earned beauty marks. I usually suggest that when someone gets new pointe shoes to wrap the yellow masking tape (used by painters) around the box. Masking tapes purpose is to "mask" the erroneous marks off the surface and then when you need to the tape comes off clean. I think now they are selling it in dance shops around the world. I think Bunheads has one out called "toe tape", but if you can find the exact same thing at a hardware/paint store it will probably be cheaper. Although, some places are making masking tape in the color of blue and so you might have to stick with the Bunheads' brand. But try not to clean the old ones. They might get ruined.
Pas de Deux

Houston, TX

#82 Nov 15, 2007
This reminds me of the dumbest thing I did. Okay...

Well, I use Grishkos', and they have a little sticker inside them. This sticker often gets messed up, and annoys me. So, one day I peeled it off. It left a little sticky clean spot. I got some water and applied it, thinking that it wouldn't matter, for it wasn't near the shank. Then, I realized it was in the middle of the shnak! I wiped off the water, but I'm still worried that's why my shoes feel so good.
kaya

Topeka, KS

#83 Jan 3, 2008
Valeria wrote:
ummmm i noticed that marissa said to wipe them with calamine lotion. should i do the ribbons and the elastic too? and im not sure if i should use clear calimine??? mine is pink? is there a big difference?
use pink calamine, not clear. u dont needto clean the ribbons and elastic.
kaya

Topeka, KS

#84 Jan 3, 2008
use pink calamine if ur pointes r more pinkish. u dont need to clean the elastics or ribbons
kaya

Topeka, KS

#85 Jan 3, 2008
use pink calamine. if u get ur pointes dirty and are panicking, think that if u try to clean them they might get worse. it happened to me that once.
Gina

Mexico

#86 May 3, 2008
Okay Okay. We all got pointe shoes. And yes they do get dirty. And you need to clean them. ME TOO!!!!

Ive been hearing baking soda this and baking soda that. But does it really work? Yes it sure does! I tried it and it works. So i decided to help all my fellow DDN pointe people out and put together little step by step guide so you know exactly what to do.

Materials:
♥ water
♥ face towel
♥ baking soda
♥ newspaper
♥ toothbrush
♥ fan

1. Place pointe shoes on a hard surface. Make sure you have a towel or newspaper under it.

2. Get baking soda and a cup. Put a handful of the BS (baking soda) in the cup. Add water little by little. Until it makes a paste. Not too watery or too thick. If too watery it may ruin your shoes. So make sure its just right.

3.Get a old/unused toothbrush or your own finger may work too. Little by little place paste of BS onto finger or brush and place onto dirty spot of shoe. I would suggest you test a small spot on your shoe first before messing with the whole shoe.

4. After paste is placed on the spots of the shoe place shoes in front of a fan. Overnight for some or maybe even a couple of minutes depending on speed and power of fan (Also weather).

5. Once paste is dry on shoe it should appear chalky and white. Now get a cup of clean warm water and place on a clean white hand towel. Not toilet paper or paper towel. I recommend a body/face towel. And perferably white because if colored then the dye might get onto your shoe.

6. Wet tip of towel and scrub the dirty spot of shoe. Stain will not get fully out but it will get duller. Focus on one spot at a time. Once all the spots paste was on is gone place in front of fan again. Shoes will have a fishy stench but it wont last.

Once shoes are dry they should be the pinkish color they were but not as shiny. IF they appear still chalky repeat step with warm water. Do not apply the same part of the towel on the whole shoe. Wet one tip then clean one poart. Then wet a diffrent part of the towel and use that. Repeat this for whole shoe. Its a must to not use the same part of the towel becasue if you use it then your just putting wet BS onto the shoe again which will make it chalky when dry.

8. Repeat until shoe doesnt appear chalky anymore.

9. Pointe shoe should look cleaner and not as dirty. It will be duller though. But hey shinyness of a pointe shoe must end at one point.

10. Make sure shoe is cpmpletely dry before being worn. Depending on how much water being used should determine how long it takes to dry. Thats why I say make sure you ring out the towel when wetting it. Dont put it on the shoe dripping wet. It should be damp, not dripping like I said.
Test

Quezon City, Philippines

#87 May 4, 2008
test
Dianbee

United States

#88 May 8, 2008
Samantha I hope you will see a physiotherapist or chiropractor about that jabbing pain in your ankles. It should be preventable - there are lots of exercises you can do to get strong, once the injury is healed. Go to http://www.theballetstore.com and get The Perfect Pointe Book - it will help you a lot.
Sam

Australia

#89 Jul 10, 2008
You can use calomine loation, the same loation you use for bites on your skin just ask the chemist
Lee

Mountain View, CA

#90 Oct 24, 2008
What type of chalomine? People put it on their shoes to clean it and because it makes your legs look long. so what type? Lotion? tea?! What color too.
Britney

Jacksonville, FL

#91 Dec 11, 2008
you aren't supposed to do pointe until at least 11. it could damage your feet and you could end up having life long problems. to the original question i just started using dryel stain remover. it works but you really have to scrub and don't dance in your shoes until they are COMPLETELY DRY!! the water stains will go away i promise and try using a blow dryer on the cold air setting or a fan on high to reduce the prominence of water stains.
Callie

Gastonia, NC

#92 Jun 25, 2009
did you mean Jiff peanut butter?? and im researching for pionte shoes and 9 years is too young your feet and legs aren't developed yet im eleven and my company only CONSIDER at 12 some people at 14 dont have there's yet because they didn't work hard enough i know a girl that is my age already reading ( under consideration ) for pointe I know of only 4 people who have there pointe shoes in my dance company!!!
PerfectPointe

New Bedford, MA

#93 Jun 29, 2009
If they look dirty DONT CLEAN THEM! It softens the box! I have 2 pairs for class and 3 preformance pairs so I have nice shoes when I go onstage.

Since: Feb 08

Jamestown, RI

#94 Aug 5, 2009
You can't actually "clean" your pointe shoes. you don't really need to, either. but what you can do is either put calemine lotion on them with a cotton ball, or you can put powder face makeup (foundation). that works better for me because it's dry and doesn't soften the shoes. hope that helps...

Jamestown, RI

#95 Aug 5, 2009
Gina wrote:
Okay Okay. We all got pointe shoes. And yes they do get dirty. And you need to clean them. ME TOO!!!!
Ive been hearing baking soda this and baking soda that. But does it really work? Yes it sure does! I tried it and it works. So i decided to help all my fellow DDN pointe people out and put together little step by step guide so you know exactly what to do.
Materials:
♥ water
♥ face towel
♥ baking soda
♥ newspaper
♥ toothbrush
♥ fan
1. Place pointe shoes on a hard surface. Make sure you have a towel or newspaper under it.
2. Get baking soda and a cup. Put a handful of the BS (baking soda) in the cup. Add water little by little. Until it makes a paste. Not too watery or too thick. If too watery it may ruin your shoes. So make sure its just right.
3.Get a old/unused toothbrush or your own finger may work too. Little by little place paste of BS onto finger or brush and place onto dirty spot of shoe. I would suggest you test a small spot on your shoe first before messing with the whole shoe.
4. After paste is placed on the spots of the shoe place shoes in front of a fan. Overnight for some or maybe even a couple of minutes depending on speed and power of fan (Also weather).
5. Once paste is dry on shoe it should appear chalky and white. Now get a cup of clean warm water and place on a clean white hand towel. Not toilet paper or paper towel. I recommend a body/face towel. And perferably white because if colored then the dye might get onto your shoe.
6. Wet tip of towel and scrub the dirty spot of shoe. Stain will not get fully out but it will get duller. Focus on one spot at a time. Once all the spots paste was on is gone place in front of fan again. Shoes will have a fishy stench but it wont last.
Once shoes are dry they should be the pinkish color they were but not as shiny. IF they appear still chalky repeat step with warm water. Do not apply the same part of the towel on the whole shoe. Wet one tip then clean one poart. Then wet a diffrent part of the towel and use that. Repeat this for whole shoe. Its a must to not use the same part of the towel becasue if you use it then your just putting wet BS onto the shoe again which will make it chalky when dry.
8. Repeat until shoe doesnt appear chalky anymore.
9. Pointe shoe should look cleaner and not as dirty. It will be duller though. But hey shinyness of a pointe shoe must end at one point.
10. Make sure shoe is cpmpletely dry before being worn. Depending on how much water being used should determine how long it takes to dry. Thats why I say make sure you ring out the towel when wetting it. Dont put it on the shoe dripping wet. It should be damp, not dripping like I said.
I would strongly advise putting Jet glue in the box after this. The water will soften the box, and unless that's what you want, put jet glue on the inside of the box. You can get jet glue at a lot of dance stores.

Jamestown, RI

#96 Aug 5, 2009
Jay wrote:
Where can you get calamine? I've been using a piece of thin cloth over a brush all my life.
you can get calemine at most pharmacies and grocery stores. just look in the isle where they have all the band aids and things like that. or you could just ask...
sarah

Coolbellup, Australia

#97 Dec 5, 2009
what do i do if i have applied calamine lotion to my dirty pointe shoes and they are still noticably dirty?? urgent help needed
thks sarah
fan ballet

San Nicolás De Los Garza, Mexico

#98 Jan 25, 2010
Check out this music!!

Good music for class!!

http://www.amazon.fr/Musique-Danse-Ballet-Cla...
ballet dancer

Maynooth, Ireland

#99 Nov 16, 2011
Leonie wrote:
It doesnt depend on how strong your feet are to go on pointe, its the muscles in your thighs (you may have really strong feet but that is not the main muscle you use when on pointe, your feet arent even muscles!!)
Tip for cleaning your shoes: Dont, you´ll get no where! Dye them black and add funky designs in special nail polish, thats im doing for my next show!
your feet aren't muscles??? thats ridiculous..each foot has 33 muscles.....
Barber Middle Dancer

United States

#100 Jan 6, 2013
The way to CLAEAN your pointe shoes are with baking soda. The way to keep them clean is to wear socks over them...don't worry its safe. Sometimes it depends on what shoe you have (I have Bloch Heritage). Don't use this method to often because it can make the satin look a bit grungy after a while.
~I hope it works for you!!!:)
I dance for Barber Middle School and my teacher is like Abby Lee Miller and makes our dances look wonderful. I have been dancing with then for about two years now, I am 13 and in 8th grade. If you want to check out some of our performances, go to YouTube and scroll down until you see white costumes click on one and you'll see a dance (there might be another one with white coctumes but not en pointe....)
~(i also play volleyball for north cobb high school GO WARRIORS):)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ballet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Injured - how long will it take to heal? (Jun '07) 9 hr Dancer 92
dancing on your toes without pointe shoes is da... (May '07) Sep 17 gyorgi ballansheeny 37
is 14 too late to start ballet and go onto pointe? (Jun '11) Sep 5 Kitty 149
My Husband in Tights! (Feb '09) Aug 28 tom 50
Ballet Trump Does Syphlide Aug '17 roy Cohn got Him 1
New Ballet on Trump Aug '17 trumpjunck prods 1
News Fiesta Latina heats things upJune 19th, 2017 Jun '17 I love the southwest 1
More from around the web