How can I clean my pointes?
camila

Puerto Rico

#21 Oct 29, 2006
Hi my name is Camila I am 12 years old I am from San Juan,Puerto Rico.My problem is that my pointe shoes are dirty.How do I clean them?.They are Capezio size 2 1/2.
Lilly

Rahway, NJ

#22 Oct 29, 2006
no idea
Emma

Japan

#23 Oct 30, 2006
Well, I heard rubbers help - I'm sure there are some ways to clean it, but maybe try rubbing the black parts using rubbers first.:?

Wow, Lilly, that's unusual of you!!! XD LOL, jk.;)

- Emz
Lilly

Rahway, NJ

#24 Oct 31, 2006
:P
Emma

Japan

#25 Oct 31, 2006
XD
Samantha

Aberglasslyn, Australia

#26 Oct 31, 2006
i heard that methylated spirits, rubed onto the pointe shoe with newspaper helps clean pointe shoe. never tried it though.
Bianca

Ingle Farm, Australia

#27 Dec 5, 2006
i have started on pointes and the top is all dirty but my mum cleaned them for me
Emma

Japan

#28 Dec 6, 2006
Is the top as in the flat part??? Or just above the flat part?? LOL if it's the flat part, it's a good sign. ;)
Katie

Arlington, TX

#29 Dec 8, 2006
Calamine lotion work really well(I am assuming you have satin pointes), but if you use if make sure you get clear calamine or you'll stain your shoes bubble gum pink!
Dancer

Stepney, Australia

#30 Dec 12, 2006
i dont know how to clean pointes, but if you wnat to keep them clean in class you could wear long football socks over the top to keep them nice.
Emma

Japan

#31 Dec 13, 2006
Dancer wrote:
i dont know how to clean pointes, but if you wnat to keep them clean in class you could wear long football socks over the top to keep them nice.
That's dangerous, you could slip!!! D= Maybe while you're not dancing, but when you are, you shouldn't wear anything like socks ...
Dancer

Gawler, Australia

#32 Dec 14, 2006
yes but i have only seen it done for girls who were just starting pointe, therefore only doing 15 minutes of barre work.
Sarah

United States

#33 Dec 15, 2006
idk i wouldnt try it cause id proably fall on my face but some of the pros wear socks over there shoes for bar at my studio...
Dancer

Australia

#34 Dec 15, 2006
I agree that it is dangerous as you could in fact slip, but maybe just for barre, maybe not???
Emma

Japan

#35 Dec 16, 2006
I dunno, not meaning to be rude, but I wouldn't risk it.>__>
Dancer

Onkaparinga Hills, Australia

#36 Dec 20, 2006
Well actually i agree in that it seems rather dangerous. I do not think you are being rude at all. I was not the one dancign with the socks on i only saw it done. Perhaps long legwarmers could be an option?
Dancer

Joyner, Australia

#37 Dec 22, 2006
I'm not saying i think wearing socks is a good idea but here are some past posts about socks and pointe shoes.

Margarita

What I do is soften them with my hands and wear them in the house to break them in...It will also help if you wear a sock over them to warm them up and to keep them clean!You can also try some releves in demi pointe...:)

Lilly

Good Points Margarita!!I have special socks with pooh bear on them, hehee jsut for my pointe shoes.:D
Pricipal of ABT

Tucson, AZ

#38 Dec 25, 2006
I use Tide to Go to clean them. Coloring your shoes is very unprofessinal.
Emma

Japan

#39 Dec 25, 2006
Well, it might be just me.*laughs* Pooh-bear socks, heh?? xD
Marissa

Algonquin, IL

#40 Jan 2, 2007
Hey guys! i'm a dancer and i've been listening to all of you debate over this dirty pointe shoe situation. The absolute best way to clean pointe shoes is to wipe them down with calamine lotion. Its easy! Just get a washcloth, put the calamine on it, and gently wipe down the shoe everywhere except for the inside and the shank. Hope it helps =]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ballet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Very Short Ballet Video. What do you think? 10 hr Trumpistany Arts ... 3
Ballets Need To Honor Trump 10 hr Trumpistan Arts C... 1
is 14 too late to start ballet and go onto pointe? (Jun '11) Apr 30 Dancer1079973 148
PeaTublikan Ballet Cancels Apr '17 pleeee haigh 1
Marley Flooring 4 sale (Apr '07) Mar '17 annebro 95
News Victoria dancer returns to Texas with Broadway ... Mar '17 Victoria Phart 2
Nutcracker to be renamed by tdrump Mar '17 billie boo 1
More from around the web