Starting ballet at 18 with the distant dream of pointe work. . .?

Posted in the Ballet Forum

obata

Lexington, KY

#1 Mar 18, 2013
Hello all!
I've wanted to take ballet lessons since I was old enough to know what shoes were! But my family was always moving around and we never had the money for lessons, so I've went without for eighteen and a half years. It's been a long time coming, but I recently started pushing it a bit more lately (Yes, I have been asking for all these years) and Mom called a place last week! I'm not sure when, but soon I will be going to check the studio out and maybe even meet my possible teacher! And if all goes well, I'll go to a trial class and maybe even start lessons there!! I'm just in complete disbelief that this could ever happen.

So while I'm obviously extremely excited, I'm also worried that I'm starting so late. I'm not a very flexible person, and my strength is quite low. I was in colour guard for four years, so I have basic knowledge (I was one of the worst dancers in a group of around 35, by the way) of arm carriage, foot pointing, arobesque, turns, tendus, other things that I'm too afraid to attempt to spell... So in that regard I do feel somewhat prepared. But my inflexibility is well....a huge issue for me. My turnout is currently less than ninety degrees and my extended second IS ninety degrees. My point is four years in the making and has gotten to be so close to in line with my leg. So close~

I know all of these things can be improved on, but I'm just not sure how to properly stretch or move for this to happen. I'm also concerned about static stretching versus dynamic stretching and how to properly work my stretches while also gaining muscle, but not damaging myself in the process.

So I guess what I'm really trying to get from all of this is how can I prepare myself to start taking real ballet lessons and not be so pathetically awful??
Ballet24

Swindon, UK

#2 Apr 8, 2013
In your situation hun I think I would look on YouTube and find some instructional videos on ballet exercises for turnout and strengthening feet and ankles, and maybe some balance work if you're wanting to go en pointe in future. Doing some simple exercises at home could really accelerate your improvement in class.
Laura

Boisbriand, Canada

#3 Sep 6, 2013
I would like to start by agreeing with ballet24 and would just like to say I was the same and haven't starting ballet at 7 or 12 and exc started at 18 and was horrible and am now 23 and starting pointe in 2 weeks I passed my exams and reviews this week and would just like to tell you that age is but a number and if you work hard and push yourself you will get there do not get discouraged or lose sight of what you want you will get there.

Ps do Lots of Relevers and retires these will help strenthen and help with turnouts .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ballet Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
is 14 too late to start ballet and go onto pointe? (Jun '11) May 20 tahiraali18 104
News Photo Flash: Russian National Ballet Tours New ... May 17 Stephany McDowell 2
How to get extremely flexible? (Feb '12) May 11 gladness 45
News La Mirada Theatre to Screen Matthew Bourne's Sw... (Jul '14) May 10 Vinchink 5
Injured - how long will it take to heal? (Jun '07) May 8 Middle School Che... 72
News Winemaker setting up on Main Apr 29 guest 4
How much of a difference is there between Russi... (Jun '08) Apr '15 dancer 16
More from around the web