Charlottesville Downtown Mall Honored as 2012 Iconic Landscape - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA N...

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

Free flowing movement is what Lawrence Halprin had in mind when he created Charlottesville's downtown mall over 30 years ago.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Dumb and Dumber

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Judged:

Good place to get mugged and robbed after dark. Yeah, a real pedestrian paradise allright!! What a joke!
thinking free

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 4, 2012

Judged:

Like a lot of cities, Cville choose to brick over Main St USA in a an effort to save its failing tax base at a time when many businesses were moving to malls. Nothing iconic about that. Ironic is the fact that this city has spent another 6 and half million bucks of tax payers money to brick it over AGAIN. Any idea how much money has to be spent in order to gain enough tax revenue to replace that? You can't, once its gone its gone. Our sexist mayor has backed many programs with no real positive effect on downtown, quite the contrary, he loves to spend us into debt. Why these politicians aren't run out of office for malfeasance is criminal itself.
citizen

Crozet, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

You won't see Huja and the other self congratulating types anywhere near the mall after dark when it turns into Dodge City. This is just another example that Charlottesville is all about denial. Get a police scanner and listen to the real mall that local media, as well as city hall, go out of thir way to soft pedal.

Don't forget to bring your backpack and cardboard sign so you can exploit the clueless students and "save an HIV positive whale for Jesus" liberals.
Eaglescout1984

Crozet, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

I didn't think they could make celebrating the mall any more ridiculous. But they found a way by inviting people to dance in front of the visitor procession.
Visiting LA

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

For those of you who don't know who Lawrence Halprin was, let me inform you. He designed places such as the FDR Memorial on the National Mall. He was an incredible designer and you should be so lucky to have him design your Pedestrian Mall. Every time I visit the mall it is packed with people. That is what makes a successful place. The design is the reason that the people are there. Do any of you negative commenters have any idea how much revenue that pedestrian mall has brought in to all the local businesses? I'm sure plenty. It's a great tourist attraction and all those tourists bring their wallets. Halprin's wife, Anna Halprin, was also one of the founders of Modern Dance. They collaborated together on many projects, hence the dancers as part of the celebration. If you don't like the space, then please by all means, don't go there. This space was designed in 1976 long before Obama people. Get a clue.
Disillusioned

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

Visiting LA wrote:
For those of you who don't know who Lawrence Halprin was, let me inform you. He designed places such as the FDR Memorial on the National Mall. He was an incredible designer and you should be so lucky to have him design your Pedestrian Mall. Every time I visit the mall it is packed with people. That is what makes a successful place. The design is the reason that the people are there. Do any of you negative commenters have any idea how much revenue that pedestrian mall has brought in to all the local businesses? I'm sure plenty. It's a great tourist attraction and all those tourists bring their wallets. Halprin's wife, Anna Halprin, was also one of the founders of Modern Dance. They collaborated together on many projects, hence the dancers as part of the celebration. If you don't like the space, then please by all means, don't go there. This space was designed in 1976 long before Obama people. Get a clue.
How wonderful for them. Here is the real deal. While the mall is pretty to look at, a lovely idea, and could be quite an attraction, the vagrants and crime are ruining its reputation and usefulness. If you spend any time at all down there -- especially at night, you will witness what people are talking about. And be careful going a block or two off the mall.
Pink Floyd

Bassett, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Judged:

All in all, we are all just bricks on the mall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••