Bachchan's popularity defies all norms

Bachchan's popularity defies all norms

There are 1413 comments on the Hindustan Times story from Dec 18, 2005, titled Bachchan's popularity defies all norms. In it, Hindustan Times reports that:

There have been many superstars in Bollywood but none can match the enduring magic or the towering personality of Amitabh Bachchan.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hindustan Times.

First Prev
of 71
Next Last
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi

India

#1 Aug 16, 2006
There has not been any Super Star before the real Super Star Rajesh Khanna in India and Amitabh is the No. 2 Super Star (?) with the help of Multi Starrer films, containing cheap dialogue, formula based chalu type story, sex, violence, etc. So far as his popularity is concerned, yes, he has gained only cheap popularity with the help of Laawaris, Coolie, Mard type films. He never looks a different character, he always looks Amitabh, the Angry Young/Old man.
seyc_44

United States

#2 Aug 16, 2006
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi wrote:
There has not been any Super Star before the real Super Star Rajesh Khanna in India and Amitabh is the No. 2 Super Star (?) with the help of Multi Starrer films, containing cheap dialogue, formula based chalu type story, sex, violence, etc. So far as his popularity is concerned, yes, he has gained only cheap popularity with the help of Laawaris, Coolie, Mard type films. He never looks a different character, he always looks Amitabh, the Angry Young/Old man.
SUPERSTAR? You must mean a flash in the pan surely.
To describe Amitabh as a coolie tells me that it takes one to know one.Rajesh Khanna never played the coolie but he married into a family of drug addicts and losers.And his behaviour shows that he has bad manners,by being unable to thank ,forgive aor write a thank you note top his fans.If you are his fan then I feel sorry for you.I wrote to bothe Amitabh and Rajesh and Amitabh wrote back to thank me, whereas I never heard from Khanna.
Pls justify Rajesh Khanna's outburst at a suburban hotel a couple of weeks ago where he told all and sundry to F...Off and swept microphones off a conference table as if he were Osama Bin Laden"s assistant. Supposed superstar was provoked by a question about his sister-in law Simple who is ailing.Then he claimed some lady's cleavage did it.
No in the end Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia are nothing because they have no education that is noteworthy .Amitabh may have played the coolie but that is all he portrayed.His father was a professor and Khanna's father???He was not a Brahmin but a Kshatriya ,a successful builder and besides he was adopted.Dimple's father we all know was also a Kshatriya because he was an entrepeneur if you want to get technical.Khanna was big at the box office for six years and then he should have married Tina Munim and gotten a fresh start.Was that paranoid behaviour in public and no public explanation??Look at Khanna's daughter Twinkle and Shweta.Twinkle married a married man who married only for Ashirwaad and what money she has .Shweta has married into money and has not given anybody grief like Khanna's eledest daughter who is also in business. Why isn't she a teacher-just in business like her mother with those candles .These aren't careers that a SUPERSTAR father produces for his offspring.Superstars do not swear in public like pimps.They do not have molestation cases in their past like Sabia and Padmini Khanna and Dimple crying and complaining about abuse at her husband's hands.
A superstar has his wife in bed and not in Sunny Deol's bed and his as well with Dimple's open concept of marriage. Rajesh Khanna has been finished for a long time now becaus ehe is his own worst enemy.Amitabh on the other hand endures because ofhis grace and the love he shows his fans. Amit's letter I have.Khanna's where is it??? Does he know how to answer a telephone ,or write a thank you note.No . The first and last star to leave such a LOW CLASS impression with his bad character and behaviour.
Sorry..... if that wasn't the truth Amit wouldn't have reigend for as long as this Rajesh would have made a comeback... but he is using cheap dialogue in real life and being violent by sweeping microphones off tables like a SUPERSTAR COOLIE that is what he is......Amit is No 1. Period full stop.
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi

India

#3 Aug 17, 2006
seyc_44 wrote:
<quoted text>
SUPERSTAR? You must mean a flash in the pan surely.
To describe Amitabh as a coolie tells me that it takes one to know one.Rajesh Khanna never played the coolie but he married into a family of drug addicts and losers.And his behaviour shows that he has bad manners,by being unable to thank ,forgive aor write a thank you note top his fans.If you are his fan then I feel sorry for you.I wrote to bothe Amitabh and Rajesh and Amitabh wrote back to thank me, whereas I never heard from Khanna.
Pls justify Rajesh Khanna's outburst at a suburban hotel a couple of weeks ago where he told all and sundry to F...Off and swept microphones off a conference table as if he were Osama Bin Laden"s assistant. Supposed superstar was provoked by a question about his sister-in law Simple who is ailing.Then he claimed some lady's cleavage did it.
No in the end Rajesh Khanna and Dimple Kapadia are nothing because they have no education that is noteworthy .Amitabh may have played the coolie but that is all he portrayed.His father was a professor and Khanna's father???He was not a Brahmin but a Kshatriya ,a successful builder and besides he was adopted.Dimple's father we all know was also a Kshatriya because he was an entrepeneur if you want to get technical.Khanna was big at the box office for six years and then he should have married Tina Munim and gotten a fresh start.Was that paranoid behaviour in public and no public explanation??Look at Khanna's daughter Twinkle and Shweta.Twinkle married a married man who married only for Ashirwaad and what money she has .Shweta has married into money and has not given anybody grief like Khanna's eledest daughter who is also in business. Why isn't she a teacher-just in business like her mother with those candles .These aren't careers that a SUPERSTAR father produces for his offspring.Superstars do not swear in public like pimps.They do not have molestation cases in their past like Sabia and Padmini Khanna and Dimple crying and complaining about abuse at her husband's hands.
A superstar has his wife in bed and not in Sunny Deol's bed and his as well with Dimple's open concept of marriage. Rajesh Khanna has been finished for a long time now becaus ehe is his own worst enemy.Amitabh on the other hand endures because ofhis grace and the love he shows his fans. Amit's letter I have.Khanna's where is it??? Does he know how to answer a telephone ,or write a thank you note.No . The first and last star to leave such a LOW CLASS impression with his bad character and behaviour.
Sorry..... if that wasn't the truth Amit wouldn't have reigend for as long as this Rajesh would have made a comeback... but he is using cheap dialogue in real life and being violent by sweeping microphones off tables like a SUPERSTAR COOLIE that is what he is......Amit is No 1. Period full stop.
I have read your reaction on my comment dated 16.8.2006. I am extremely sorry to say that while replying to my comments, you have nothing to say justifiable and logical, so you have quoted personal life examples, which in my opinion is most rediculous and shameful on your part. We should have nothing to do with the personal life of anybody. Rajesh Khanna is the one and only Super Star Actor of the Indian Film World, which is a historic fact and nobody can suppress this with personal life's activities. For more detail you may visit the website "Lovemark: Rajesh Khanna". Please note that I have personally met Rajesh ji twice and every time I felt that he is as good human just as a superb actor. Thanks,
seyc_44

United States

#4 Aug 17, 2006
Yes, I have visited Lovemarks .com which is your posting??? and are you the one that started the page???? Are you Stella??????There are some fabulous comments there about Rajesh Khanna because they are analytical and on a higher level.I have not denied his capabilities. Not justifiable and logical?????Why should I pls note that you have met the actor.I would love to meet some of those incredible writers on Lovemarks.com they make sense about Khanna and you don't. I don't care what you think because I feel you live your life vicariously through him.I am orthologistic,grounded in pragmatism and do not have the sentiments of a sales associate.Shame again? Learn to speak English I haven't sold drugs.I have expressed my opinion.You Sir,have no concept of democracy and I will not stoop to your level. It is too low to get under.
seyc_44

United States

#5 Aug 17, 2006
The lovemarks.com postings are worth more than all of those awards you speak of for Khanna.He has the best pages on the site.Incredible postings from intellectuals giving formidable scrutiny to his work.Better than Amit's page or anyone else's.Accurate in their description of his acting abilities.Do you agree?
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi

Trombay, India

#6 Aug 18, 2006
Ref. comments of seyc_44 Canada of 17/13hrs. ago.

Sir/Madam: I do agree with the views of the writers of the Lovemarks.com about the First Super Star of the Nation, Pride of the Film Industry, Living Legend and winner of Life Time Achievement Awards innumerable times. Please note that the above superb titles have been extended to Mr. Khanna officially at world wide status award functions; and these are not given by me. I still surprised about your negative attitude, which turned towards me today and you have shown this attitude towards Mr. Khanna yesterday. Please try to concentrate your views towards unparallel characterization capability of Mr. Rajesh Khanna in film after film by maintaining an 'otherness' in the commercial environment of Hindi Film World and try to extend due regards to him. Thanks,
seyc_44

United States

#7 Aug 18, 2006
I have no idea what negativity you are referring to.Obviously, you have never had anyone criticize you at all.Those awards you speak of are they registered with the Convention of Bern to be official? When you say official do you mean legal? What body recognizes them? They are personal tributes by organizations not OFFICIAL and not legal so what are you talking about?.Rajesh Khanna does not have one honorary doctorate because that would be official and carry more credibility.
For me someone has posted on Lovemarks.com "his acting reaches our heart,striking our breast like the wave of another life, extracted from the sum of our dreams." Yet another says "he is able to persuade the faithless and charm the invulnerable" For me that is better than a trillion awards_official or unofficial{are you serious?}You say pls concentrate on this and that .I do not tell you what to do,do not advise me what to think and feel.You have come to Bombay I see.I am a free citizen and you are no one to me.I have not advised you nor attempted to prompt you into submission.The posts at Lovemarks are incredible and the actor Rajesh Khanna can be the same and better when he wants to.
Manohar

Bangalore, India

#8 Aug 25, 2006
Rajesh Khanna is the only superstar in Indian film industry and he will be for ever and no body can be compared with him. We should see front side of mirror not back side of mirror before commenting on Rajesh Khanna.
Deekshit

Bangalore, India

#9 Aug 26, 2006
Rajesh Khanna is the only the superstar who has to be remembered forever. He is alway great. Hats off to acting.
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi

Pune, India

#10 Aug 26, 2006
Many many thanks to Dear Manohar and Deekshit from Hyderabad, India for bringing out the historical fact before today's generation. Actually I have fade up to reald and watch misguided facts about Mr. Bachchan long time, which misguides today's generation. They never know what a real Super Star is and what is the origin of this title, if people like you do'nt bring the reality before them. Many thanks once again.
Manohar Singh

United States

#11 Aug 26, 2006
Abhijit K Roy Varanasi wrote:
Many many thanks to Dear Manohar and Deekshit from Hyderabad, India for bringing out the historical fact before today's generation. Actually I have fade up to reald and watch misguided facts about Mr. Bachchan long time, which misguides today's generation. They never know what a real Super Star is and what is the origin of this title, if people like you do'nt bring the reality before them. Many thanks once again.
What about Prithviraj Kapoor and so many others?When you say that today's generation is being misguided about Amitabh you are slandering him. You are not only showing favouritism to Khanna but CONTEMPTUOUS favouritism.The process of liking is subjective.Superstar was a title Khanna gave to himself. I like to read the excellent analyses at Lovemarks.com .Why are you thanking peole who agree with you? Why do you not allow the star himself to do that?In what capacity do you represent him to thank people if you are not him? Has he put you in a PR position. I cannot understand what you are doing.
Manohar Singh

United States

#12 Aug 26, 2006
Manohar wrote:
Rajesh Khanna is the only superstar in Indian film industry and he will be for ever and no body can be compared with him. We should see front side of mirror not back side of mirror before commenting on Rajesh Khanna.
So Prithviraj Kapoor and Balraj Sahni were nothings as actors??Rajesh Khanna should look into that front side of the mirror first,then us.Perhaps like Medusa he will turn to stone from all the praise.
Sutantar

United States

#13 Aug 26, 2006
Deekshit wrote:
Rajesh Khanna is the only the superstar who has to be remembered forever. He is alway great. Hats off to acting.
All stars are forgotten and re-discovered.
Francoise

United States

#14 Aug 26, 2006
PiCASSO only looked inthe back sideofthe mirror and he said "In the end ther is only Matisse."
Rajesh Khanna and Amit are do not have that humanistic signicance as these two TITANS of the pinnacle artists. Neither have a Nobel or Onassis prize.Neither have sold a painting worth over $1000,OOO million.We are alluding to two actors that are as different as chalk and cheese.Rajesh Khanna made a fantastic impact and still does.Amit is a competent actor too.Personally,I like Khanna better but Amit has stood his ground.Picasso would have thought Amit to tall to paint.
regards,
Abhijit K Roy-India

Pune, India

#15 Aug 27, 2006
Manohar Singh wrote:
What about Prithviraj Kapoor and so many others?When you say that today's generation is being misguided about Amitabh you are slandering him. You are not only showing favouritism to Khanna but CONTEMPTUOUS favouritism.The process of liking is subjective.Superstar was a title Khanna gave to himself. I like to read the excellent analyses at Lovemarks.com .Why are you thanking peole who agree with you? Why do you not allow the star himself to do that?In what capacity do you represent him to thank people if you are not him? Has he put you in a PR position. I cannot understand what you are doing.

I am doing only one thing to let the present generation acquaint themselves that the REAL SUPER STAR OF THE INDIA IS MR. RAJESH KHANNA AND NOT THE SO CALLED BIG B. Thanks,
Abhijit K Roy-India

Pune, India

#16 Aug 27, 2006
Dear Mahohar Singh,

Who told you that 'Superstar was a title Khanna gave to himself'? It is a world wide historic fact that the word SUPER STAR was first time introduced in India with the name of Mr. Khanna owing to his extra-ordinary star status and glamour, which swept out all the myths and history.
In the capacity of a Super Fan of the Real Super Star of India, I want to express my inner feelings about Mr. Khanna and you should forget the word PR, because there are some relations, which can not be described in words. Thanks,
Manohar

United States

#17 Aug 27, 2006
Abhijit K Roy-India wrote:
Dear Mahohar Singh,
Who told you that 'Superstar was a title Khanna gave to himself'? It is a world wide historic fact that the word SUPER STAR was first time introduced in India with the name of Mr. Khanna owing to his extra-ordinary star status and glamour, which swept out all the myths and history.
In the capacity of a Super Fan of the Real Super Star of India, I want to express my inner feelings about Mr. Khanna and you should forget the word PR, because there are some relations, which can not be described in words. Thanks,
The word fan is the root of Fanatic.Have you come to the world to enlighten us?Devyani Chaubal possibly created that terminology superstar.If you cannot describe it in words it sounds like a greeting card.
Shah Rukh Khan took over no.1 from Bachchan long ago.At lovemarks .com I have read that from an inner philosophical process how Khanna was great.Those postings are analytical and objective.I wish you all the best hoping that you may temper reason with the passion you feel.
thanks too
Abhijit Kumar Roy_ India

Varanasi, India

#18 Aug 27, 2006
Dear Mr. Singh,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. In my opinion the numbering of stars looks like Horse Race. The stars are not racing horses. Actually it is the wrong trend of the Film Industry that they used to rank stars only on the basis of commercial success/failure of their films. But it should be one of the criterion and not the alone criteria. Besides box office results, the stars should be judged with their genuine talent also, because there are variety of manipulation process, which made a film hit/flop. And Rajesh Khanna proved it that despite his historic Super Star image as well as hit or flop of his films, he always characterises the person, whom he portrayed in the silver screen and we have never found the very Rajesh Khanna while watching his performance. This makes him extra ordinary. Thanks again.
MOHAN

United States

#19 Aug 28, 2006
Abhijit Kumar Roy_ India wrote:
Dear Mr. Singh,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. In my opinion the numbering of stars looks like Horse Race. The stars are not racing horses. Actually it is the wrong trend of the Film Industry that they used to rank stars only on the basis of commercial success/failure of their films. But it should be one of the criterion and not the alone criteria. Besides box office results, the stars should be judged with their genuine talent also, because there are variety of manipulation process, which made a film hit/flop. And Rajesh Khanna proved it that despite his historic Super Star image as well as hit or flop of his films, he always characterises the person, whom he portrayed in the silver screen and we have never found the very Rajesh Khanna while watching his performance. This makes him extra ordinary. Thanks again.
Dear Abhijiki,
Pls go to Google.com and in the space bar enter DIMPLE KAPADIA no watch what comes up on THE WEB go to pg 6 and near the bottom there is asection I want you to press on www.youtube .com Dimple Kapadia and Anil Kapoor and if you have the decency watch what the wife of the superstar of the nation is doing for public consumption.Bachchan 's wife was never in such a video or anyone else's just Dimple.How much respect do you think I have for Rajesh Khanna if he doesn't divorce a woman like that?He may have given a lot of hits but what do you have to say about that?Rajesh Khanna is a superstar and his wife is in soft porn video ?PRIDE OF THE NATION MAKE ME LAUGH SOME MORE
Asha

United States

#20 Aug 28, 2006
Abhijit Kumar Roy_ India wrote:
Dear Mr. Singh,
Many thanks for your prompt reply. In my opinion the numbering of stars looks like Horse Race. The stars are not racing horses. Actually it is the wrong trend of the Film Industry that they used to rank stars only on the basis of commercial success/failure of their films. But it should be one of the criterion and not the alone criteria. Besides box office results, the stars should be judged with their genuine talent also, because there are variety of manipulation process, which made a film hit/flop. And Rajesh Khanna proved it that despite his historic Super Star image as well as hit or flop of his films, he always characterises the person, whom he portrayed in the silver screen and we have never found the very Rajesh Khanna while watching his performance. This makes him extra ordinary. Thanks again.
I think you need to study philosophy seriously .It would assist you to express yourself concisely instead ofspeaking the same repetitive things again and again. Although you have been told about"high mimetic " roles you do notwantto use correct terminologies but resort to demotic language.Next you are trying to say that Rajesh Khanna used the "Coquelin" method of acting as opposed to "Method" acting?In Coquelin acting the actor is lost and the character prevails and in Method the actor prevails and the character is secondary. Now which is which?.Also I cannot say I respect Rajesh Khanna after I watched the aforementioned video of his wife cavorting in porn. Really can you name the other actor to who this has occurred? I think Khanna is a singularity and he has set a precedent.The private life can override the achievements sorry... I have no respect and do not care at all anymore for him or his lot.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 71
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News JAT Airways Relaunches as Air Serbia With Etiha... (Oct '13) 2 hr Kosovo is Serbia 23
News Work and its rewards: Phipps enjoys solving art... 23 hr Workers In Tupel 2
News Tourism opportunities continue Sun Rider 6
News Herea s whata s happening at LA Podcast Festival Sep 23 I read and write ... 1
News Peppered with questions, Wells Fargo CEO seemed... Sep 23 spocko 48
News An Immersive Play About Lutherans Battling over... Sep 23 New Guy 59
The journey from novice to advanced photographer Sep 20 Andymolly 1
More from around the web