First Prev
of 3
Next Last
ROXY

United States

#1 Jul 25, 2008
I heard that They were back in court yesterday is that true? What happened?
Bored

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jul 25, 2008
That's what I heard too but I haven't seen anything posted about it. Anybody have any news on that?
MAVO

United States

#3 Jul 25, 2008
I don't know the full story. I heard the grandmother got a sentence of 30 days. I don't agree with that sentence. She knew that poor baby was getting abused and she did nothing!
MAVO

United States

#4 Jul 25, 2008
I think the full story is on KREQ.com
Cherie

Grants, NM

#5 Jul 25, 2008
That would be KRQE.COM
MAVO

United States

#6 Jul 25, 2008
My bad....
Cherie

Grants, NM

#7 Jul 25, 2008
As posted in the Albuquerquer Journal:

Decision on bid to overturn sentences not likely for months.
Hundreds of spectators packed a Las Cruces courtroom Thursday as a three-judge panel of the New Mexico Court of Appeals heard arguments for overturning verdicts in one of the city's most disturbing cases of child abuse resulting in death, according to a report on the Las Cruces Sun-News Web site.

Five-month-old Brianna Lopez died on July 19, 2002, after a night of horrific abuse. The baby's father, Andrew Walters, and uncle, Steven Lopez, were convicted in September 2003 of rape and child abuse resulting in death, and the baby's mother, Stephanie Lopez, was found guilty of negiligent child abuse resulting in death.

The baby's grandmother and another uncle were found guilty of failing to report child abuse.

Defense attorneys argued that a 2004 U.S. Supreme Court decision barring the use of defendants' statements to police that incriminated other defendants should be barred unless the person making the statement testified. In the Baby Brianna case, all five defendants gave statements but none testified at trial, the Sun-News reported.

Attorneys also argued that their trials should have been severed rather than tried as a group.
Stephanie Lopez, who is serving a 27-year prison sentence, tried to stop the abuse but statements by other defendants indicated otherwise, her attorney argued, according to the Sun-News.

Walters, who was sentenced to 57 years in prison, recanted an earlier statement to police that he tossed the baby in the air causing her death, but other defendants' statements supported the original confession, his lawyer contended.

The attorney for Steven Lopez, the baby's uncle, who is serving a 51-year sentence, made similar arguments, according to the Sun-News account.

The three-judge panel is not likely to issue its decisions for several months, the paper reported.
ROXY

United States

#8 Jul 25, 2008
Cherie wrote:
Hundreds of spectators packed a Las Cruces courtroom Thursday as a three-judge panel of the New Mexico Court of Appeals heard arguments for overturning verdicts in one of the city's most disturbing cases of child abuse resulting in death, according to a report on the Las Cruces Sun-News Web site.
Five-month-old Brianna Lopez died on July 19, 2002, after a night of horrific abuse. The baby's father, Andrew Walters, and uncle, Steven Lopez, were convicted in September 2003 of rape and child abuse resulting in death, and the baby's mother, Stephanie Lopez, was found guilty of negiligent child abuse resulting in death.
The baby's grandmother and another uncle were found guilty of failing to report child abuse.
Defense attorneys argued that a 2004 U.S. Supreme Court decision barring the use of defendants' statements to police that incriminated other defendants should be barred unless the person making the statement testified. In the Baby Brianna case, all five defendants gave statements but none testified at trial, the Sun-News reported.
Attorneys also argued that their trials should have been severed rather than tried as a group.
Stephanie Lopez, who is serving a 27-year prison sentence, tried to stop the abuse but statements by other defendants indicated otherwise, her attorney argued, according to the Sun-News.
Walters, who was sentenced to 57 years in prison, recanted an earlier statement to police that he tossed the baby in the air causing her death, but other defendants' statements supported the original confession, his lawyer contended.
The attorney for Steven Lopez, the baby's uncle, who is serving a 51-year sentence, made similar arguments, according to the Sun-News account.
The three-judge panel is not likely to issue its decisions for several months, the paper reported.
Thank you for this info!!!! I still can't believe this ! Poor baby girl.

“Watch out now!!!”

Since: Jun 08

Burque NM

#9 Jul 25, 2008
this makes me sick!!!
I hope they all all rott in there and in hell
Cherie wrote:
MAVO

United States

#10 Jul 25, 2008
Thanks Cherie for the info. That poor baby. She is ok now she is with Jesus!
Cherie

Grants, NM

#11 Jul 25, 2008
This story only brings to light the fact that there are some really sick people out there that don't deserve to breed!
Disbelief

Albuquerque, NM

#12 Jul 25, 2008
I can't believe that people are the way they are, it's disgusting how people can be so cruel. I will pray for them because I pray for everybody but these people are evil people.
Cherie

Grants, NM

#13 Jul 25, 2008
Disbelief wrote:
I can't believe that people are the way they are, it's disgusting how people can be so cruel. I will pray for them because I pray for everybody but these people are evil people.
I wouldn't bother with praying for these scum bags. They don't need it. The baby yes, but these dirt bags, certaily not. They need to be hung! Remember, they raped a 5 MONTH old BABY! HELLO! NO PRAYING!
MAVO

United States

#14 Jul 25, 2008
I will pray for them too. If they don't repent they will burn in hell!
ROXY

United States

#15 Jul 25, 2008
I will pray for baby Brianna. But she's with Jesus now and will never have to go through any pain again. God Bless her.
Disbelief

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Jul 25, 2008
You are very right but God is a forgiving God. It's digusting, horrible, no words can really express how disgusting it is. I think about it and get the chills all over my body. I can't believe how many sick, disgusting people there are in this world. They will get what they deserve, nobody leaves this world without paying for what they do. NOBODY!!! We all have to face what we have done one day!!! We all do!!!

“Watch out now!!!”

Burque NM

#17 Jul 25, 2008

“Watch out now!!!”

Burque NM

#18 Jul 25, 2008
I failed at posting the link, but on the KRQE they have the whole story and pics, that precious baby looks like she was put through hell.
My 2 Cents

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jul 25, 2008
If they haven't already, they'll be raped in prison.
ROXY

United States

#20 Jul 25, 2008
JGR75 wrote:
I failed at posting the link, but on the KRQE they have the whole story and pics, that precious baby looks like she was put through hell.
If it is block do you know how to get around it? Yes Im at work.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 7 hr new parrot 115,278
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 8 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 64,344
News Dog mauls girl scout selling cookies (Mar '09) 11 hr Frmr-fmer505-1951 164
News What's In A (Hispanic-Sounding) Surname? We Gav... 23 hr Voice of Reason 4
Florida professor suggests Texans deserve Harve... Mon By that 39
What happened to the KRQE people? Sep 16 Harry Back 7
News FBI 'flying saucers' New Mexico memo is bureau'... (Mar '13) Sep 16 LuzAranda 15

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages