Family: Boy's suicide should've been ...

Family: Boy's suicide should've been prevented

There are 185 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jan 14, 2009, titled Family: Boy's suicide should've been prevented. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

A family of a 12-year-old boy who killed himself at Mesa Verde Community in Albuquerque on Monday say the incident should've never happened.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Mary

Pleasanton, CA

#1 Jan 14, 2009
My sons are the ones that contacted us and found his own brother dead in a public place, where my son should have been at a safe haven," Anthony Gallegos said.
Don't pass the buck, you as the parent should have recognized the signs..DON'T PUT YOUR PARENTAL DISCREPENCIES ON THE SYSTEM!!!
You and the wife need the help to raise the rest of your children before they become YOU!
carlos

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Jan 14, 2009
my condolences to the family of the boy's--but i agree with the previous poster. this isn't the community center's fault.

a bunch of people on this forum are going to blame the parents for the child's death too, which would be wrong.

what we should take from this story is that we may all know a suicidal person and take time to talk to these people if they are on the verge of hurting themselves.
Concerned Citizen

Albuquerque, NM

#3 Jan 14, 2009
I am so, so sorry for this loss of life.
It is quite likely that he was on a psychiatric drug of some sort. Dangerous, black box warnings appear on most, especially for children. Please look into this, and prosecute the psychiatrist if so.

Since: Aug 08

Where ever the Army sends us

#4 Jan 14, 2009
Mary wrote:
My sons are the ones that contacted us and found his own brother dead in a public place, where my son should have been at a safe haven," Anthony Gallegos said.
Don't pass the buck, you as the parent should have recognized the signs..DON'T PUT YOUR PARENTAL DISCREPENCIES ON THE SYSTEM!!!
You and the wife need the help to raise the rest of your children before they become YOU!
Some people have this thing called a job and that is why these other things called child care, after school programs such as community centers etc. have been invented. If a person has their child in a place like this than they should be watched at ALL times. There should be enough employees to supervise these kids. Now if he was home and the parents were out partying then maybe your comment would make sense but that was not the case. The community center should have kept a better eye on all their kids. Finding a person dead is a hard thing, but finding your own brother dead is the worst thing ever. I know from experience what that can do to a child. God bless this family.
Serena C

Boise, ID

#5 Jan 14, 2009
There is absolutely nothing more horrible than the death of a child, let alone in these circumstances. Bottom line, there is enough blame to go around, whether that blame is substantiated or not is another question. The story mentions that the boy was "distraught". Perhaps his older brother took him to the community center to try to ease what was bothering him. I think it is unfair to assume the parents were bad parents since the whole situation is not known. Either way, my condolences.
KD Farms

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Jan 14, 2009
May God be with thw family.What a bummer situation.Can we just leave this family alone?
veronica

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jan 15, 2009
let me start by saying many will blame anyone that had contact with this child. What has happened is no matter what, a child is DEAD. What the news did not show is that this a alot of this centers in town have after school programs in place so kids have some place to be and not running the streets.. I was there that night and what the family is saying is very true...the center may have not been able to prevent the out come but, they did nothing to help the child before and after..the staff at the center are all cpr trained and never cut the boy down they left him hanging because he was blue the first crew to respone from 911 cut the boy down. Other teens and staff restrained his older brothers from cutting him down...the facts are not all beening told the store is still unfolding the goverment needs to really investegate this police are ruling 100% suicide because other kids said he was distraught why did the workers not view the boys actions if other kids did. why did the staff not cut the boy down if they thought he had done this to him self... doesn't every center have emergancy bag if so it was never seen.. they never did an emergancy count that evening to see if the rest of the children signed into the center where accounted for the never called parents to make sure that the children that had seen him hanging where looked after ... til today no one from the office of the center or the director off that center have contacted the family.. this child is dead because nobody took the extra measure... someone pulled the 911 calls and 311 calls and you will see how many things have happen at center that have never been dealt with the only reason it made it to the news is APS staff that dealt with this boy and knew him and loved reported to news so it would not happen to another child...and yes the center was open the next day with still no worring to the cummunity APS surrounding the cummunity has step up to care for this chilren and family left to suffer...Many are at fault the cummunity needs this center for the children so many have not made waves for this reason.. if the Mayor is veiwing this the please do something this are our children remove the staff give this center what it needs and the cummunity its center...
veronica

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Jan 15, 2009
One last thing if the center called 911 wouldn't the dispatach inform them to cut the child down...and perform cpr till help arrives.. why did so many things go wrong that day there where at least 4-5 staff workering you mean to say none of them could do anything to help this boy....come on something is really wrong.. why would the center not comment or the director of all the centers comment... I could go on and on on what I saw the staff doing and not doing that night I was there ....I had to provide transportion to this family when no one from the center attemped to help this family nobody would even tell this family where there loved one was been taken I had ask the ambulance driver he said UNM how hard was it for to tell them when they asked....
WTF

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Jan 15, 2009
vlandry9755 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some people have this thing called a job and that is why these other things called child care, after school programs such as community centers etc. have been invented. If a person has their child in a place like this than they should be watched at ALL times. There should be enough employees to supervise these kids. Now if he was home and the parents were out partying then maybe your comment would make sense but that was not the case. The community center should have kept a better eye on all their kids. Finding a person dead is a hard thing, but finding your own brother dead is the worst thing ever. I know from experience what that can do to a child. God bless this family.
if an employee has to always follow the kids into the bathroom then he will be accused of being a child preditor !! something was going on at home that caused this little guy so much stress! we will probably never know
concerned citizen

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Jan 15, 2009
well said
vlandry9755 wrote:
<quoted text>

Since: Dec 08

Rio Rancho

#11 Jan 15, 2009
My condolences to the family, and God Bless

“Can You Handle The Truth”

Santa Fe

#12 Jan 15, 2009
My condolences to the family.

We need to let this story to unfold before assign blame as to who is at fault. There are to many unknowns for the general public to formulate an opinion.

The one thing that will happen sooner than later are lawyers will get involved.

“Can You Handle The Truth”

Santa Fe

#13 Jan 15, 2009
This statement was published in the Science Daily:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/0901121...

A new study to be published in next month's Journal of Law and Economics finds statistical evidence that local governments use traffic citations to make up for revenue shortfalls.

It has never been about safety, but it is about the money.
concerned parent

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Jan 15, 2009
I Live in this Neighborhood and when this community center was opened I was the Parent representative for our Community in which We had met w/the prev Director Concerning this issue "Security for our Children as well as employees" due to our dismay w/the centr being a city run facility they had no funding for this security requested by many parent's. I feel awful that it finally had to come to this for anyone to see how important it is for adults, parents to volunteer to help watch our kids. My prayers and blessings go out to the Gallegos.
Dean

Seattle, WA

#15 Jan 15, 2009
Very sad situation but I definitely don't think the family can place blame on the community center. This unfortunately sounds like something that they may have seen warning signs for and now are suffering for not being proactive and helping this child.
Shocked

AOL

#16 Jan 15, 2009
The article clearly states the Mother said her son was distraught for some reason that day.She should have kept him close to her. I know we all have jobs but now her heart is broken and they are trying to blame someone else perhaps to file a lawsuit.We live in a lawsuit happy world where if anything happens it is your fault not mine and I am going to sue you kinda mentality.I am so ssorry for the familys loss.
Dean

Seattle, WA

#17 Jan 15, 2009
concerned parent wrote:
I Live in this Neighborhood and when this community center was opened I was the Parent representative for our Community in which We had met w/the prev Director Concerning this issue "Security for our Children as well as employees" due to our dismay w/the centr being a city run facility they had no funding for this security requested by many parent's. I feel awful that it finally had to come to this for anyone to see how important it is for adults, parents to volunteer to help watch our kids. My prayers and blessings go out to the Gallegos.
Even if there was security here, the situation likely would have not changed. The boy was in the bathroom, security wouldn't have been standing in the bathroom.

Let's as a community stop placing blame on the stuff that is ALREADY FREE to us and trying to say it should be better. This is an unfortunate situation that happened and I feel for the family, however this is a family issue, has nothing to do with the community center.
open

Albuquerque, NM

#18 Jan 15, 2009
This was a community center, not daycare. At a community center the employees keep a general eye out; they do not directly supervise every child. I am sorry but it looks to me like the family is trying to set themselves up for a lawsuit (payday) out of this. Suicide is a permanent response to a temporary problem. Mourn you son and parent your remaining children; there is no-one to blame but the son who decided to end his life. His decision, his fault.
King Jeremy the Wicked

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Jan 15, 2009
I wonder if this is a case of "the hanging game" where kids basically hang themselves until they pass out and their buddy gets them down. In this case the second kid freaked and left the bathroom. There have been deaths attributed to this. Just a thought.

I feel for this family, but all this speculation of what would have happened or not happened if the mother had stayed with the child is 20/20 hindsight plain and simple. How many of us parents have had distraught kids and they never harmed themselves. If this kid did commit suicide, then his issues were a lot deeper than we know. We should not lay blame on anyone until a thorough investigation is done and all the facts are brought to light.
Anyone Home

Rio Rancho, NM

#20 Jan 15, 2009
This is too bad but why is someone else always to blame? Does the staff have to follow every child into the restroom? Maybe the family should have been keeping a better eye on him if they detected a problem.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Locals say southern flag not a threat 3 hr Mr oH 87
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 7 hr Waadhal 58,462
Poll Feminists Oppose The Name "Super Girl" Choose A... 7 hr Colin 22
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 7 hr Tuesday 109,168
News Church offers free school supplies (Aug '09) 7 hr patricia 87
Two Blasts In NM Churches--Las Cruces 7 hr Queen 29
You Know You're From New Mexico When... (Apr '12) 8 hr Irene 445
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages