Lowe's looks to hire 300 employees

Lowe's looks to hire 300 employees

There are 17 comments on the KASA-TV Albuquerque story from Sep 26, 2012, titled Lowe's looks to hire 300 employees. In it, KASA-TV Albuquerque reports that:

Lowe's is looking to hire an additional 300 employees. Tuesday night, the Bernalillo County commission approved more than $10 million in incentives for Lowe's. That will help the home improvement store expand a call center that recently opened on Jefferson in northeast Albuquerque.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KASA-TV Albuquerque.

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Sep 26, 2012
WOW,

Where is this 10 million coming from, are the county commissioners going to give up their pay checks?

For a county that is hard up for money I find it totally out of line to offer a mega business money.

Is Lowe's so broke or CHEAP they need to BEG for money?

Yes it will help put people to work but at our cost, not the business.
El troll de la forum

Rio Rancho, NM

#2 Sep 26, 2012
god must hate Albuquerque if all this city can get is crappy call-center jobs.

Location hidden

#3 Sep 26, 2012
El troll de la forum wrote:
god must hate Albuquerque if all this city can get is crappy call-center jobs.
And Rio Rancho as they just got one too with city money, or state and city.

I just love how cities and the state of NM can find millions for business but not one damn penny to pay Teachers a good salary.
El troll de la forum

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Sep 27, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
And Rio Rancho as they just got one too with city money, or state and city.
I just love how cities and the state of NM can find millions for business but not one damn penny to pay Teachers a good salary.
That's because all of those call centers need workers just smart enough to do the job but not smart enough to get ahead in life or smart enough to take the initiative to make real changes within government. It's also known as class warfare. Underpaid teachers will only go so far.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#5 Sep 27, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
WOW,
Where is this 10 million coming from, are the county commissioners going to give up their pay checks?
For a county that is hard up for money I find it totally out of line to offer a mega business money.
In truth, BernCo is far from being destitute. Remember earlier this year when they ~had~ to accept an increase in property taxes, saying they didn't need it but were forced to accept it due to actions(a law) enacted by the legislature?

Just what we need, more go-nowhere call center jobs that'll all go tits up and take on water within 24 months. With what little they'll pay its unlikely much will go towards a retirement (401...) for those people.
caseyatbat

United States

#6 Sep 29, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
WOW,

No cost to us job creation and opportunity for someone to work !

Location hidden

#7 Sep 29, 2012
caseyatbat wrote:
<quoted text>
No cost to us job creation and opportunity for someone to work !
No cost to us? are you crazy, it is OUR TAX DOLLARS being given to a private business that should either have the money to open a location or call center or borrow it from banks and private investors.

Government has not business supporting private business in any way.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#8 Sep 29, 2012
Those jobs may put food on the table today but they damned sure won't help them in later years when they are forced to retire and have no income. Oh, that's right, the government will provide...
caseyatbat

Albuquerque, NM

#9 Sep 29, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
Those jobs may put food on the table today but they damned sure won't help them in later years when they are forced to retire and have no income. Oh, that's right, the government will provide...
Are you kidding ? 401 k , benefits , opportunity for advancement, paying taxes , tuition reimbursement etc. no one is talking retiring but working contributing and not on unemployment. Building skills like customer service, problem resolution and work ethic.

Location hidden

#10 Sep 29, 2012
caseyatbat wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you kidding ? 401 k , benefits , opportunity for advancement, paying taxes , tuition reimbursement etc. no one is talking retiring but working contributing and not on unemployment. Building skills like customer service, problem resolution and work ethic.
Thats if the company and employees stick around for 5-10 years to earn it.

I doubt they will be here in 5 years, in business yes, here No.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#11 Sep 29, 2012
caseyatbat wrote:
<quoted text>
They are still go nowhere jobs, just a bandaid, a quick fix to a long term problem. They hold no long term benefits overall (not talking perks/benefits/retirement etc), they are not jobs most people particularly want to do for 40 years. What we need are long term jobs people can grow with, have dignity, pride in their work.

I'm not saying they are bad jobs (at the moment), they are short term fixes only, but we must strive for better jobs. Yet in this lousy economy we take what we can get.

My point is that the legislature needs to stop their P2P BS and attract new business w/o their usual extortion, over the top taxes etc and get the people back to work.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#12 Sep 29, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats if the company and employees stick around for 5-10 years to earn it.
I doubt they will be here in 5 years, in business yes, here No.
Agreed, most seem to go turtle in 24-36 months. Then along comes another go nowhere call center.

Location hidden

#13 Sep 29, 2012
caseyatbat,

Try this, you go get hired with one of those companies and stick it out to the end then come back here and tell us all about all the great benefits you received.

Oh and no asking for welfare food stamps or any other government help since you now have a JOB.

Deal ?
caseyatbat

Albuquerque, NM

#14 Sep 29, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
caseyatbat,

Try this, you go get hired with one of those companies and stick it out to the end then come back here and tell us all about all the great benefits you received.

Oh and no asking for welfare food stamps or any other government help since you now have a JOB.

Deal ?
Hmmm citi cards was here 25 years tmobile 15 plus years Verizon 5 plus B of A 10 plus Victoria's Secret 15 plus sprint 15 plus get your facts straight about time in our city !!!

Location hidden

#15 Sep 30, 2012
caseyatbat wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm citi cards was here 25 years tmobile 15 plus years Verizon 5 plus B of A 10 plus Victoria's Secret 15 plus sprint 15 plus get your facts straight about time in our city !!!
Sorry but I have only been here 7 years so some if not all the above were most likely gone before that time.

Ask yourself this question, why after all those years have they decided to relocate overseas? That is where most went, can you comprehend the reason?

GE recently shut down too but I believe in that case no outsourcing, just closed and consolidated to another plant.

You do seem to think tax money should go towards businesses that want to open here instead of more important issues.

Yes having jobs is extremely important but not when we give millions of tax breaks only to be screwed in a few years and end up with more people being supported by unemployment.

caseyatbat

Rio Rancho, NM

#16 Sep 30, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry but I have only been here 7 years so some if not all the above were most likely gone before that time.

Ask yourself this question, why after all those years have they decided to relocate overseas? That is where most went, can you comprehend the reason?

GE recently shut down too but I believe in that case no outsourcing, just closed and consolidated to another plant.

You do seem to think tax money should go towards businesses that want to open here instead of more important issues.

Yes having jobs is extremely important but not when we give millions of tax breaks only to be screwed in a few years and end up with more people being supported by unemployment.
Last comment all still here except Citi which is work from home.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#17 Sep 30, 2012
caseyatbat wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe your figures to be grossly exaggerated. Not surprised you failed to post the majority which went belly up real quick.

Bottom line, NM needs meaningful long term jobs badly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paramedic for New Mexico 9 hr Gary1478 1
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 14 hr Mister Chix 65,272
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 14 hr Katia 116,266
News Guadalupe County sheriff candidate's residency ... 17 hr Pan Head 1
Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART) project (Feb '16) 17 hr shadow 213
Who is Your Favorite Leftist Communist Totalita... (Jun '17) 17 hr shadow 8
News Debbie Swenerton, Animal Rescue Worker, Accused... (Dec '12) 20 hr Virginia Vegetarian 13

Albuquerque Jobs

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages