Outgoing GOP senator to oversee NM election dept.

Jan 12, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Las Cruces Sun-News

Secretary of State Dianna Duran told the Albuquerque Journal on Friday that the conservative Roswell Republican could start the job, which will pay about $80,000, as early as next week.

Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jan 15, 2013
just

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

what we need - a partisan campaign consultant running the election board

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

just wrote:
what we need - a partisan campaign consultant running the election board
I suppose if Retardson had done this it would be acceptable, right?
uuuh

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I suppose if Retardson had done this it would be acceptable, right?
no. It should be a civil service position - not some politico with an axe to grind.
dpb

Westcliffe, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Actions such as appointing obvious cronies are just wrong -- neither party should allow this; however, it has been the stock and trade of these last two Governors. We need to elect someone without a personal agenda who will actually represent the people of this State rather than representing Special Interests. Party be damned -- Get someone in there who can actually do something besides reward their friends and family with State Jobs.
Just Asking

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 12, 2013
 
dpb wrote:
Actions such as appointing obvious cronies are just wrong -- neither party should allow this; however, it has been the stock and trade of these last two Governors. We need to elect someone without a personal agenda who will actually represent the people of this State rather than representing Special Interests. Party be damned -- Get someone in there who can actually do something besides reward their friends and family with State Jobs.
Do you think that the position should be elected? I'd have no problem with that.
dpb

Westcliffe, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 12, 2013
 
Either that or a Civil Service Position.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

And exactly what is the advantage of such a position being elected or civil service? Does that make it any more apt to be neutral? Every Governor does this same basic thing. You two are just pissed because a Republican, Susana Martinez is our Governor. If it was Retardson all would be well I guess.
dpb

Westcliffe, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 12, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

cd - Learn to read -- I specifically said, "it has been the stock and trade of these last two Governors." NOTE -- "last TWO" Sorry, this is just wrong and needs to be changed -- This is an Election Official with an agenda.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

It's N.M. cronyism as usual, and I guess I was naive in thinking that Martinez was going to be different.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Lobo Viejo wrote:
It's N.M. cronyism as usual, and I guess I was naive in thinking that Martinez was going to be different.
In some respects yes, in all, no. Politicians in general have an image amongst themselves to maintain, that's why overall I'm not impressed with the "profession". I wonder how much more palatable it would have been to the non-Rep crowd if she'd have appointed a Dem to the position? Whether Rep or Dem, any appointment would have been partisan and disliked by one side or the other.
Uuuh

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

CornDogz wrote:
And exactly what is the advantage of such a position being elected or civil service? Does that make it any more apt to be neutral?
yes - it makes a difference for civil service. You know, based on qualifications, open by application to anyone qulaified - separated from the political process - can't get fired on the governors whim...

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Uuuh wrote:
<quoted text>
yes - it makes a difference for civil service. You know, based on qualifications, open by application to anyone qulaified - separated from the political process - can't get fired on the governors whim...
Somehow I doubt it could be very far removed from the political process were it a CS job, regardless of the party in power. The selection made would be in debt to those who appointed them because of the supposed power of the position. I seriously doubt the person currently selected will have much if any impact upon any future elections. Strangely I'd say the same even if they were a Retardson appointee, even with his ability to go beyond the norm.
Nope

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

CornDogz wrote:
Every Governor does this same basic thing. You two are just pissed because a Republican, Susana Martinez is our Governor. If it was Retardson all would be well I guess.
I have consistently posted for years on the issue of too many appointed positions and cronyism on all levels of government in New Mexico. I have friends on the government side who have had the rug pulled out from under them during both admininistrations.

Richardson had his finger on the minutiae of everything going on in this state and actually had a broad following and power based on having good relationships with people. I certainly disagree with certain things he did and spent our money on (Spaceport), but the fact is he really did want to improve New Mexico - along with feeding his ego.

Susana had no following and no relationships but managed to win election based on outside money and running against the someone not on the ballot. Insteady of cultivating people, her approach has been grandstanding and bluster with an eye to opportunism on the national stage. Her appointments are far worse since they are in direct service to narrow ideology and dirty industries that sponsored her rather than pragamatism and the long-term good of the state.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 13, 2013
 

Judged:

1

Nope wrote:
<quoted text>
I have consistently posted for years on the issue of too many appointed positions and cronyism on all levels of government in New Mexico. I have friends on the government side who have had the rug pulled out from under them during both admininistrations.
Richardson had his finger on the minutiae of everything going on in this state and actually had a broad following and power based on having good relationships with people. I certainly disagree with certain things he did and spent our money on (Spaceport), but the fact is he really did want to improve New Mexico - along with feeding his ego.
Susana had no following and no relationships but managed to win election based on outside money and running against the someone not on the ballot. Insteady of cultivating people, her approach has been grandstanding and bluster with an eye to opportunism on the national stage. Her appointments are far worse since they are in direct service to narrow ideology and dirty industries that sponsored her rather than pragamatism and the long-term good of the state.
Looking at past voting patterns by New Mexicans I find them to be as out of touch with reality as a lot of the appointees are so in the end I don't see either one making a strong case for itself or being any more valid that the other.
MoneyTalks

Los Alamos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 15, 2013
 
just wrote:
what we need - a partisan campaign consultant running the election board
Great, like getting Manny Aragon to watch over the jail, you know?

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 15, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

MoneyTalks wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, like getting Manny Aragon to watch over the jail, you know?
If Susana was a Dem you'd probably have had Manny in this position.

Susana is good,
Susana is great.
Break out the chocolate cake!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Incoming 1 hr Slambo 1
FBI identifies human remains found on Navajo Na... 1 hr RezDine 1
Free Form Chat (May '09) 12 hr LuzAranda 35,376
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 12 hr Katia 105,981
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 12 hr Katia 55,047
Police: Robber caught after shower and shave 14 hr Screech 2
Anti-Israel boycott movement arrives at Univers... 16 hr coyote 88

Search the Albuquerque Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Albuquerque Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Albuquerque People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Albuquerque News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Albuquerque
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••