Next Last

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#1 May 4, 2010
The OFFICIAL Ellen G. White Website

Tuesday- May 4, 2010
Wresting the Scriptures
They that are unlearned and unstable wrest... the ... scriptures, unto their own destruction. 2 Peter 3:16.

The position that it is of no consequence what men believe is one of Satan's most successful deceptions. He knows that the truth, received in the love of it, sanctifies the soul of the receiver; therefore he is constantly seeking to substitute false theories, fables, another gospel....

The vague and fanciful interpretations of Scripture, and the many conflicting theories concerning religious faith, that are found in the Christian world are the work of our great adversary to confuse minds so that they shall not discern the truth. And the discord and division which exist among the churches of Christendom are in a great measure due to the prevailing custom of wresting the Scriptures to support a favorite theory. Instead of carefully studying God's word with humility of heart to obtain a knowledge of His will, many seek only to discover something odd or original.

In order to sustain erroneous doctrines or unchristian practices, some will seize upon passages of Scripture separated from the context, perhaps quoting half of a single verse as proving their point, when the remaining portion would show the meaning to be quite the opposite. With the cunning of the serpent they entrench themselves behind disconnected utterances construed to suit their carnal desires. Thus do many willfully pervert the word of God. Others, who have an active imagination, seize upon the figures and symbols of Holy Writ, interpret them to suit their fancy, with little regard to the testimony of Scripture as its own interpreter, and then they present their vagaries as the teachings of the Bible.

Whenever the study of the Scriptures is entered upon without a prayerful, humble, teachable spirit, the plainest and simplest as well as the most difficult passages will be wrested from their true meaning.... The Word of God is plain to all who study it with a prayerful heart. Every truly honest soul will come to the light of truth. "Light is sown for the righteous." Psalm 97:11. And no church can advance in holiness unless its members are earnestly seeking for truth as for hid treasure.

From Maranatha - Page 133
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#2 May 4, 2010
I used to have some Advent speakers on my stereo back in the day. They were really cool. Does that count?

Dread Pirate Roberts

#3 May 4, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
I used to have some Advent speakers on my stereo back in the day. They were really cool. Does that count?
Umm...I am a pretty liberal Adventist...so...yeah...but just barely. Were they cool speakers for the time?
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#4 May 4, 2010
JosephOne wrote:
<quoted text>
Umm...I am a pretty liberal Adventist...so...yeah...but just barely. Were they cool speakers for the time?
Yeah, back in the mid 70s. They were white with metal grills. Pretty contemporary looking for the time. And they really did sound good. Thinking about them makes me wish we still had them.

Dread Pirate Roberts

#5 May 4, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, back in the mid 70s. They were white with metal grills. Pretty contemporary looking for the time. And they really did sound good. Thinking about them makes me wish we still had them.
Cool. They don't seem to make things like they used to anymore. There are still some quality stuff out there though. Sony seems to be making a comeback.

Dread Pirate Roberts

#6 May 5, 2010

Wednesday- May 5, 2010
False Theories About God
Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened. Rom. 1:21.

The theory that God is an essence pervading all nature, is one of Satan's most subtle devices. It misrepresents God, and is a dishonor to His greatness and majesty. Pantheistic theories are not sustained by the Word of God. The light of His truth shows that these theories are soul-destroying agencies. Darkness is their element, sensuality their sphere. They gratify the natural heart, and give license to inclination. Separation from God is the result of accepting them....

There is but one power that can break the hold of evil from the hearts of men, and that is the power of God in Jesus Christ. Only through the blood of the Crucified One is there cleansing from sin. His grace alone can enable us to resist and subdue the tendencies of our fallen nature. This power the spiritualistic theories concerning God make of no effect. If God is an essence pervading all nature, then He dwells in all men; and in order to attain holiness, man has only to develop the power that is within him.

These theories, followed to their logical conclusion, sweep away the whole Christian economy. They do away with the necessity for the atonement, and make man his own savior. These theories regarding God make His Word of no effect, and those who accept them are in great danger of being led finally to look upon the whole Bible as a fiction. They may regard virtue as better than vice; but God being removed from His position of sovereignty, they place their dependence upon human power, which, without God, is worthless. The unaided human will has no real power to resist and overcome evil. The defenses of the soul are broken down. Man has no barrier against sin. When once the restraints of God's Word and His Spirit are rejected, we know not to what depths one may sink.

Those who continue to hold these spiritualistic theories will surely spoil their Christian experience, sever their connection with God, and lose eternal life.

From Maranatha - Page 134

Dread Pirate Roberts

#7 May 10, 2010

Monday- May 10, 2010
A Great Terror Soon to Come
We are put on view to the world, and to angels, and to men. 1 Cor. 4:9, Bible in Basic English.

The world is a theater; the actors, its inhabitants, are preparing to act their part in the last great drama. With the great masses of mankind there is no unity, except as men confederate to accomplish their selfish purposes. God is looking on. His purposes in regard to His rebellious subjects will be fulfilled. The world has not been given into the hands of men, though God is permitting the elements of confusion and disorder to bear sway for a season. A power from beneath is working to bring about the last great scenes in the drama--Satan coming as Christ, and working with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in those who are binding themselves together in secret societies. Those who are yielding to the passion for confederation are working out the plans of the enemy. The cause will be followed by the effect.

Transgression has almost reached its limit. Confusion fills the world, and a great terror is soon to come upon human beings. The end is very near. We who know the truth should be preparing for what is soon to break upon the world as an overwhelming surprise....

Are we as a people asleep? Oh, if the young men and young women in our institutions who are now unready for the Lord's appearing, unfitted to become members of the Lord's family, could only discern the signs of the times, what a change would be seen in them! The Lord Jesus is calling for self-denying workers to follow in His footsteps, to walk and work for Him, to lift the cross, and to follow where He leads the way.

Many are readily satisfied with offering the Lord trifling acts of service. Their Christianity is feeble. Christ gave Himself for sinners. With what anxiety for the salvation of souls we should be filled as we see human beings perishing in sin! These souls have been bought at an infinite price. The death of the Son of God on Calvary's cross is the measure of their value. Day by day they are deciding whether they will have eternal life or eternal death.

From Maranatha - Page 139

Since: May 10

Huntsville, AL

#8 May 10, 2010
What do I do about an Adventist friend who doesn't abstain from eating PORK only because it is traditional Mexican food and he likes it. He does have a superb memory. Quotes verses from the Bible, honors Ellen White but I'm not too sure he can quote her. He's been as devoted to the Aventists since he left the Church of the Gospel after leaving the Baptists. He's been baptized every time he goes to another denomination. What can I tell him?

Dread Pirate Roberts

#9 May 11, 2010
ConchaNPena wrote:
What do I do about an Adventist friend who doesn't abstain from eating PORK only because it is traditional Mexican food and he likes it. He does have a superb memory. Quotes verses from the Bible, honors Ellen White but I'm not too sure he can quote her. He's been as devoted to the Aventists since he left the Church of the Gospel after leaving the Baptists. He's been baptized every time he goes to another denomination. What can I tell him?
About eating pork or about being baptized in every denomination? First, if you baptized in Jesus Christ and Holy Spirit in any church it sticks, no need to keep repeating. Actually we as christian individuals are even called to baptize people. Second, I am not a legalistic Adventist. I do believe the general tenants of the Adventis denomination but to Ellen G. White is just another christian writer like Billy Graham or someone. She had some great christian books. However, not eating pork is for our good. Pork is one of the unhealthiest meats.

Since: May 10

Huntsville, AL

#10 May 11, 2010
Thank you for your answer, still doesn't help to untie my friends from his strong bonds to the Adventists even with all of his cheating and eating pork. I like pork meat, I do not eat it to excess because of cholesteral intake, but there should be no "sacred oath" to abstain to anyone from eating what's available if you're HUNGRY physically so. Spiritual hunger it's a different matter. We have the Bible not Ellen.Another false prophet the Good Book warns us about. What says she's not?

Dread Pirate Roberts

#11 May 11, 2010
ConchaNPena wrote:
Thank you for your answer, still doesn't help to untie my friends from his strong bonds to the Adventists even with all of his cheating and eating pork. I like pork meat, I do not eat it to excess because of cholesteral intake, but there should be no "sacred oath" to abstain to anyone from eating what's available if you're HUNGRY physically so. Spiritual hunger it's a different matter. We have the Bible not Ellen.Another false prophet the Good Book warns us about. What says she's not?
I don't agree that she is false prophet but then I don't see where as an Adventist we need to rely on her. Again, I think she is one of many good christian writers down through history and makes some very good points. But you are correct the Bible is paramount.

“we're back!”

Since: Aug 09

around the corner

#12 May 11, 2010
Once you become an Adventist you have to remain in that denomination with its strict tithing and record-keeping or else condemnation will befall you and yours. Satan laughs his dirty head off and of course "comforts" that silly ex-never-should-have-left Adventist. Bonds to Ellen White are eternal.

“we're back!”

around the corner

#13 May 11, 2010
Without Ellen there would be NO Adventists
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#14 May 11, 2010
concha pena wrote:
Does that mean since I had a pair of Advent speakers, I now have to start giving J1 1/10 of my salary?

Dread Pirate Roberts

#15 May 11, 2010
concha pena wrote:
Not necessarily. Without the Sabbath observation there would probably be no Adventists.

“we're back!”

around the corner

#16 May 11, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Does that mean since I had a pair of Advent speakers, I now have to start giving J1 1/10 of my salary?
I never thought of that BUT I think you're RIGHT

Dread Pirate Roberts

#17 May 11, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, now that you mention it...

You can start now, I won't even ask for back tithes...{wink}...

LOL!

Dread Pirate Roberts

#18 May 11, 2010

Tuesday- May 11, 2010
Youth and the Drug Syndrome
Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment. Eccl. 11:9.

Satan was the first rebel in the universe, and ever since his expulsion from heaven he has been seeking to make every member of the human family an apostate from God, even as he is himself. He laid his plans to ruin man, and through the unlawful indulgence of appetite, led him to transgress the commandments of God. He tempted Adam and Eve to partake of the forbidden fruit, and so accomplished their fall, and their expulsion from Eden. How many say, "If I had been in Adam's place, I would never have transgressed on so simple a test." But you who make this boast have a grand opportunity of showing your strength of purpose, your fidelity to principle under trial.... Does God see no sin in your life?...

On every side, Satan seeks to entice the youth into the path of perdition; and if he can once get their feet set in the way, he hurries them on in their downward course, leading them from one dissipation to another, until his victims lose their tenderness of conscience, and have no more the fear of God before their eyes. They exercise less and less self-restraint. They become addicted to the use of wine and alcohol, tobacco and opium, and go from one stage of debasement to another. They are slaves to appetite. Counsel which they once respected, they learn to despise. They put on swaggering airs, and boast of liberty when they are the servants of corruption. They mean by liberty that they are slaves to selfishness, debased appetite, and licentiousness....

Satan is determined to have the human race as his subjects, but Christ has paid an infinite price that man may be redeemed from the enemy, and that the moral image of God may be restored to the fallen race.... Fallen men may through Christ find access to the Father, may have grace to enable them to be overcomers through the merits of a crucified and risen Savior.

From Maranatha - Page 140

“we're back!”

around the corner

#19 May 11, 2010
It goes without saying it with the Saturday Sabbath you're part Jew. Circumscision goes with the Saturday SABBATH. NO,NO LEAVE ME UNCUT, PLEEESE. This from my other friend, Ralph.

Dread Pirate Roberts

#20 May 11, 2010
concha pena wrote:
It goes without saying it with the Saturday Sabbath you're part Jew. Circumscision goes with the Saturday SABBATH. NO,NO LEAVE ME UNCUT, PLEEESE. This from my other friend, Ralph.
That ISN'T true.

The Sabbath was around even before those Jewish laws.

The Sabbath was instituted first when God rested on the 7th day.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Elephant Butte Lake shrinking faster thana 16 min Tim C 7
News U-Haul stolen in Albuquerque during family's cr... 25 min Cissy 12
News Criminal complaint details brutal slaying of Ne... 1 hr buypolar 1
News Albuquerque school: No calling students 'boys a... 1 hr Still more 12
News PED takes over Albuquerque charter schoola s fi... 1 hr Still more 5
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 5 hr fmer505-1951 62,231
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 5 hr fmer505-1951 113,080

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance