Is Albuquerque Boring?

Is Albuquerque Boring?

There are 101 comments on the Featured Blog Posts - Duke City Fix story from Feb 23, 2010, titled Is Albuquerque Boring?. In it, Featured Blog Posts - Duke City Fix reports that:

Last week Albuquerqueans responded en masse to a Mary McCormick interview on the Chelsea Lately show.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Featured Blog Posts - Duke City Fix.

Go Nuggets

Idaho Springs, CO

#22 Feb 24, 2010
Katzia wrote:
I moved here from Denver, which is a city gloriously awash with squirrels. I was dismayed to discover that there are no squirrels in Albuquerque. Life is so empty without them. I miss the squirrels.
That's because there are no trees in Albuquerque. Just a lot of snakes and lizards.

“Old Sailors Never Die.”

Since: Aug 08

Land of The Brave

#23 Feb 24, 2010
Albuquerque may be a little violent at time but never boring. Besides, the few times in my life I have been "bored" was the few times I have lived inside myself, self centered and/or depressed about something.

Nobody can ever be bored with life if they can pick up a book and read. You will never get bored if you can pick up a piece of driftwood or dead cactus and can imaging what a beautiful lamp or wall hanging it would make. Then go make it just to see if you can!

As long as a person can live outside themselves and observe all the truly facinating things around them each day you will never be bored nor be boring to others.
conrad

Florence, AL

#24 Feb 24, 2010
Life is seldom dull except to the dull.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#25 Feb 24, 2010
Whisky River Crabb wrote:
Albuquerque may be a little violent at time but never boring. Besides, the few times in my life I have been "bored" was the few times I have lived inside myself, self centered and/or depressed about something.
Nobody can ever be bored with life if they can pick up a book and read. You will never get bored if you can pick up a piece of driftwood or dead cactus and can imaging what a beautiful lamp or wall hanging it would make. Then go make it just to see if you can!
As long as a person can live outside themselves and observe all the truly facinating things around them each day you will never be bored nor be boring to others.
I heard that! I don't have enough years left to do all the things I want to do. No boredom here.

Katzia

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Feb 24, 2010
Go Nuggets wrote:
<quoted text>That's because there are no trees in Albuquerque. Just a lot of snakes and lizards.
Well, not to take anything away from the squirrels, but I do like snakes and lizards, especially lizards. They zip all around. Not many lizards in Denver, or casual snakes. That's on account of the sharp eyes of the squirrels, and their little claws.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Since: Jun 09

Ol' Juarez

#27 Feb 24, 2010
nmweatherman wrote:
Excuse me "Silk," didn't you make a rather dramatic "exit" from Topix? Bye bye.
Yeah, but we missed him so much, we begged him on bended knee to please come back. We love Silk, you on the other hand, please go away.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#28 Feb 24, 2010
Go Nuggets wrote:
<quoted text>That's because there are no trees in Albuquerque. Just a lot of snakes and lizards.
Well apparently you have never been to Albuquerque. We have beautiful trees, tall and grand cotton woods, weeping willows, pine trees, and so many other types. Yeah, we have snakes and lizards too, but we also have so many beautiful birds, so graceful in flight. We have roadrunners, squirrels and so many other little critters. Now Colorado does apparently have snakes, it has you. Don't ever criticize what you have never seen.

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#29 Feb 24, 2010
Katzia wrote:
I moved here from Denver, which is a city gloriously awash with squirrels. I was dismayed to discover that there are no squirrels in Albuquerque. Life is so empty without them. I miss the squirrels.
Well Katia, as soon as the weather warms up, I will bring you to my house and you can look out the back door and you will see the little squirrel that lives here. He/she resides near the back yard and climbs up and down the pinion tree, on occasion has been known to steal some fruit from our trees.

Katzia

Albuquerque, NM

#30 Feb 24, 2010
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>Well Katia, as soon as the weather warms up, I will bring you to my house and you can look out the back door and you will see the little squirrel that lives here. He/she resides near the back yard and climbs up and down the pinion tree, on occasion has been known to steal some fruit from our trees.
See, the rub is that you said "squirrel" and I'm talking squirrels, hundreds of thousands of them, hanging from the trees, leaping out from bushes, pulling on your pant leg, jumping on your head, chasing cats, riding around on dogs, driving cars,(well, maybe not driving cars, but the rest is true) and they were my only friends. And now they never write or call or anything.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#31 Feb 25, 2010
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>Well apparently you have never been to Albuquerque. We have beautiful trees, tall and grand cotton woods, weeping willows, pine trees, and so many other types. Yeah, we have snakes and lizards too, but we also have so many beautiful birds, so graceful in flight. We have roadrunners, squirrels and so many other little critters. Now Colorado does apparently have snakes, it has you. Don't ever criticize what you have never seen.
And we have horny toads here too :-)

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Elk Grove

#32 Feb 25, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horned_lizard

Horned lizards (Phrynosoma) are a genus of the Phrynosomatidae family of lizards. The horned lizard is popularly called a "horned toad," "horny toad", or "horned frog," but it is neither a toad nor a frog. The popular names come from the lizard's rounded body and blunt snout, which make it resemble a toad or frog.(Phrynosoma literally means "toad-bodied.") The spines on its back and sides are made from modified scales, whereas the horns on the heads are true horns (i.e. they have a bony core). There are 14 species of horned lizards in North America, 8 of which are native to the United States. The largest-bodied and most widely distributed of the U.S. species is the Texas horned lizard (P. cornutum).

HORNY TOADS :)

“Eys so hendsum!”

Ol' Juarez

#33 Feb 25, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope you are referring to the little critters.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#34 Feb 25, 2010
WorkingStiff wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, some of them are so horny they HONK when they walk<G>!!!
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#35 Feb 25, 2010
fmer505-1951 wrote:
<quoted text>I hope you are referring to the little critters.
Of course :-)

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#36 Feb 25, 2010
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, some of them are so horny they HONK when they walk<G>!!!
Oops, I meant HONK when they HOP! Lol...

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Elk Grove

#37 Feb 25, 2010
Three things that would make it less boring:

More christian concerts and festivials.

A major NASCAR race track, for anyone of the three series.

More tea party events and Glenn Beck, Michael Savage and Sarah Palin visits.
anigma

AOL

#38 Feb 25, 2010
I've lived in Albuquerque for over 30 years and don't think it's boring,an NFL franchise would be a good aquisition. Of course people would have to assure tickets would be sold on a regular basis. If you are a boring person in the first place anywhere you live will be boring to you.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#39 Feb 25, 2010
anigma wrote:
I've lived in Albuquerque for over 30 years and don't think it's boring,an NFL franchise would be a good aquisition. Of course people would have to assure tickets would be sold on a regular basis. If you are a boring person in the first place anywhere you live will be boring to you.
What would they name the NFL team - The Albuquerque Adobes? Abq is barely able to support a AAA BB team. I would think that of all the sports there are, that we would do well with some form(s) of car racing - dirt track again, NASCAR lite , drag strip etc. I used to do the dirt track and drag strip and they were always packed with fans.
anigma

AOL

#40 Feb 25, 2010
Who cares about triple A sports? They could call them the Albuquerque Cucarachas,an apt name with all the bugs in town. Nascar attracts toothless rednecks,just what we need. Green Bay supports a team and the city is only 100,000 people at best. I know I lived there long ago. How about the New Mexico Beaners as a team name? The logo could have some guy farting with a bowl of beans in hand!!!
Not at all

AOL

#41 Feb 25, 2010
I wouldn't say Albuquerque is boring. I would say it is infuriating. It's a place where ordinary people get told it's a very poor state when it comes to getting compensation for their work, but it's so-called public servants are always complaining about needing more money, even when they are double-dipping; where corruption is laughed off, as in the case of Secretary of State Mary Herrera billing taxpayers to have her own family photographs printed on an official yearly New Mexico publication; where a tremendous number of people live in poverty, yet its governor, a member of the much-touted party of the people (Democrats) buys himself a $5.5 million dollar jet;
jets himself all over the country to promote his personal agenda; and even hires an international chef to prepare his lavish multi-course meals, because the ordinary chef already on the payroll just won't do. A place where the police department have every single toy they could dream of, and even $3,000 dollar kevlar vests for police dogs, but students from the poorer school districts have to bet corporations for classroom computers or go door-to-door selling candy bars to buy them. It's a land of contrasts, extremes between the haves and the have nots, and between what is supposed to be a State in the United States of America and its de facto status as a clone of a Third World Nation. That's Albuquerque. That's New Mexico. Anything but boring.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
trump derangement syndrome 6 min Bull Durham 147
TRUMP just POed Many More People 16 min Bull Durham 134
Why did the entire KRQE morning news team leave... (Dec '14) 1 hr Incident23 107
News #abq4ward: Crime problem can cause psychologica... 13 hr The truth 1
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 14 hr Mister Chix 115,061
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 14 hr Mister Chix 64,119
News Baby drowns in tub (Aug '09) 16 hr JLL 68

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages