Police warn against leaving cars unat...

Police warn against leaving cars unattended

There are 30 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Dec 3, 2008, titled Police warn against leaving cars unattended. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

As temperatures drop, police are letting people know that it's not a good idea to leave their car running while no one is inside.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Alexander Monday

Henderson, NV

#1 Dec 3, 2008
Yeh - leav'em runn'in boys..... :)
No Shirt

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Dec 3, 2008
Do you mean to tell me that people still warm up their cars before getting in and driving away? No wonder the price of gas is out of control. what with morons acting like that. I bet the poeple that warm up thier cars are also the people driving like maniacs.
Blah

Sahuarita, AZ

#3 Dec 3, 2008
Use common sense people. Crime has no address! It is because of latent folks like the one describe that allow our local NM insurance premiums to rise!
Infant Homo Sapians have been enduring way more extreme temperatures than 2008 fall temperatures. Blah
Ryder

Huntsville, AL

#5 Dec 4, 2008
Lol - If anyone is "smart" enough to leave their car running unoccupied at ANY time, they're asking for it to get stolen.(Probably the same people who leave their young children in the car and "run in to the store)...

“Cogito, ergo sum”

Since: Oct 08

Las Cruces, NM

#6 Dec 4, 2008
Forrest Gump is right, "Stupid is as stupid does."
Don't these folks know what a the garage is for? You know - the room with the wide metal door.

“No matter where u go There u r”

Since: Feb 08

Alb. N.M.

#7 Dec 4, 2008
I sometimes let mine warm up in the driveway. On the newer fords you can lock it, and use the keypad on the door to open it back up.
But since ya'll now have one of the highest GTA ratings in america don't know if I'd do it there.
No Schitzzzzz

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Dec 4, 2008
So the filters are editing out homosapien now???
New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#9 Dec 4, 2008
No Shirt wrote:
Do you mean to tell me that people still warm up their cars before getting in and driving away? No wonder the price of gas is out of control. what with morons acting like that. I bet the poeple that warm up thier cars are also the people driving like maniacs.
Hey No Shirt, go put a shirt on and warm up before replying, you spell simple words wrong and have the nerve to call me a moron and blame me for high cost of gas, shows how little you really know about things.

POEPLE is spelled PEOPLE and THIER is spelled THEIR.

----------

I still warm up my vehicles to allow the oil to circulate and the engine block to warm up a bit, call me old fashioned but the little fuel it uses is not the reason cost are higher, greed by the petro industry is.

I have never believed ads saying just start up and drive off as the engines today are better built, no so, they still have the same internal stuff.

And I have never had a major problem by warming them up first, only the couple cars I did not warm up gave me engine trouble.

Besides one of my vehicles is a diesel and by warming it up it runs better and performs better.

So go knock yourself out proving I burn up a few gallons of fuel causing the price to go up.
kvster

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 4, 2008
I was born in ALB moedto Chicago in 1995.
they will give you a ticket if they catch you leaving your care unattended while running. because they get stolen then its more work for the police. it cut down auto theft by 60% in first year tickets were issued
New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#11 Dec 4, 2008
kvster wrote:
I was born in ALB moedto Chicago in 1995.
they will give you a ticket if they catch you leaving your care unattended while running. because they get stolen then its more work for the police. it cut down auto theft by 60% in first year tickets were issued
I like that idea, or better yet tow the car away and let the owner file a stolen car report and pay all towing expense related and I bet that will cure the problem of un-attended warming up of engines.

Although not mentioned I don't leave mine alone, I am in it while warming it up.
New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#12 Dec 4, 2008
Woe is Us wrote:
Forrest Gump is right, "Stupid is as stupid does."
Don't these folks know what a the garage is for? You know - the room with the wide metal door.
You are so stupid, period.

Leave an engine running in a garage whether the door is open or closed is asking for death.

Guess you never heard of carbon monoxide before.

Make a deal with you, put your car in your garage and warm up the engine for 15 minutes while sitting in it with windows open.

If you live I''ll buy you a steak dinner, if not one less idiot to worry about.

Since: Nov 08

Hanover Park, IL

#13 Dec 4, 2008
No Shirt wrote:
Wait, I thought the price of gas has dropped by over $2.00/gal in the past couple of months?!? I didn't realize that the price of gas would be going back up because some people warm up their cars before driving. That's an insight I needed. Thanks, NoShirt.

“Old Sailors Never Die.”

Since: Aug 08

Land of The Brave

#14 Dec 4, 2008
New Mexican wrote:
<quoted text>
I still warm up my vehicles to allow the oil to circulate and the engine block to warm up a bit, call me old fashioned but the little fuel it uses is not the reason cost are higher, greed by the petro industry is.
I have never believed ads saying just start up and drive off as the engines today are better built, no so, they still have the same internal stuff.
And I have never had a major problem by warming them up first, only the couple cars I did not warm up gave me engine trouble.
Besides one of my vehicles is a diesel and by warming it up it runs better and performs better.
So go knock yourself out proving I burn up a few gallons of fuel causing the price to go up.
You hit the nail right on the head. Oil is very thick when cold and the engine will not lubricate properly until it warms a little.

For those of you so obviously uninformed posting here, why do you think people living in the coldest parts of our country have block heaters on their vehicles? Because it keeps the oil and water warm so the engine will start and the oil will circulate causing less damage to the engine! Imagine that! Letting the engine to warm up a bit will allow it to last longer!

I have a 2000 Chevy pickup, that I use every day, with over 285,000 miles on it and have never had any engine trouble. I let it warm up at least 5 minutes before I drive off, even in the summer months. Since the transmission fluid, or gear oil if you have a standard, also circulates and warms up only when the engine is running, I have never had any transmission trouble. I may waste a gallon or two of gas every month but it is a h*ll of a lot cheaper than engine or transmission repairs, or buying a new truck every 3 or 4 years, because I listened to some fool tell me that start up and drive will not hurt anything.

Think about it, these ads are paid for by car companies and they want you to buy instead of taking care of what you already own. I'll get over 300,000 miles out of my old truck, will you get that much out of yours?
Mr Clean

United States

#15 Dec 4, 2008
New Mexican wrote:
<quoted text>

----------
I still warm up my vehicles to allow the oil to circulate and the engine block to warm up a bit, call me old fashioned
I have never believed ads saying just start up and drive off as the engines today are better built. I have never had a major problem by warming them up first, only the couple cars I did not warm up gave me engine trouble.
Just use your common cense...... Automakers are correct in that one does not need to warm up a vehicle for an extended period of time unless it is old or you ride a Harley w/o elec. ignition and you have to pull the choke out. But go ahead just don't start and leave it running near where I am. Even if you are in the vehicle, it is discourteous to leave a bucket of nails ( especially a diesel) running in a residential area.
common sense

Albuquerque, NM

#16 Dec 4, 2008
Mr Clean wrote:
<quoted text>
Just use your common cense...... Automakers are correct in that one does not need to warm up a vehicle for an extended period of time unless it is old or you ride a Harley w/o elec. ignition and you have to pull the choke out. But go ahead just don't start and leave it running near where I am. Even if you are in the vehicle, it is discourteous to leave a bucket of nails ( especially a diesel) running in a residential area.
obviously you do not know much about mechanical functions of your engine ! when you run your engine and you shut it off for the night all the oil drains into the oil pan ( the lowest point on the engine ) there fore when you start it in the morning its only common sense to realize it gonna take a few minutes for all the moving parts of your engine to recieve the amount of oil they need to operate efficently !! i agree its not a good idea to leave your car unattended during this warm up process but the process is necessary to achieve the maximum life out of your car
New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#17 Dec 4, 2008
Mr Clean wrote:
<quoted text>
You are comparing a pick up truck diesel to a big rig, same basic technology but one does not omit tons of smelly diesel into the air.

I have asked my neighbors if it bothers them and if it does I would shut it down.

You need to educate yourself on diesel engines, longer life, less maintenance too.

And just as quiet as any gas engine today, not talking about 20 year old ones that do stink when run like the old VW or Mercedes did.

However those HD motorcycles are another thing, the noise drives me crazy and I am over 50% deaf so go figure that one out.

New Mexican

Muscle Shoals, AL

#18 Dec 4, 2008
Whisky River Crabb wrote:
<quoted text>
You hit the nail right on the head. Oil is very thick when cold and the engine will not lubricate properly until it warms a little.
For those of you so obviously uninformed posting here, why do you think people living in the coldest parts of our country have block heaters on their vehicles? Because it keeps the oil and water warm so the engine will start and the oil will circulate causing less damage to the engine! Imagine that! Letting the engine to warm up a bit will allow it to last longer!
OMG I totally forgot about the engine block heater so I owe you one. I use it every winter and it sure makes a big difference too.

Why fire trucks are always plugged into them, start up and off to the rescue they go not worrying about damage to the engine.

I have around 112,000 miles on my Ford F250 in 6 years and it runs perfect, not a problem in the world. I also tow a trailer with no problem and love that diesel humming sound when towing too.

“Get Drunk; Find a Gun.”

Since: Oct 08

Pripyat, Ukraine

#19 Dec 4, 2008
New Mexican wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so stupid, period.
Leave an engine running in a garage whether the door is open or closed is asking for death.
Guess you never heard of carbon monoxide before.
Make a deal with you, put your car in your garage and warm up the engine for 15 minutes while sitting in it with windows open.
If you live I''ll buy you a steak dinner, if not one less idiot to worry about.
I think you misunderstood the post you were replying to, if you park your car in the garage you wouldn't need to warm it up, seeing as it would be inside - shielded from the most extreme elements.

“No matter where u go There u r”

Since: Feb 08

Alb. N.M.

#20 Dec 4, 2008
I remember my dad out almost every winter with an extension cord run to the old pontiac. But I also remember the few times that the freeze plugs would be laying under the car when he didn't.
WorkingStiff

Carlsbad, CA

#21 Dec 4, 2008
Put a club on your steering wheel while it warms up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Paramedic for New Mexico 3 hr Gary1478 1
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 8 hr Mister Chix 65,272
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 8 hr Katia 116,266
News Guadalupe County sheriff candidate's residency ... 11 hr Pan Head 1
Albuquerque Rapid Transit (ART) project (Feb '16) 11 hr shadow 213
Who is Your Favorite Leftist Communist Totalita... (Jun '17) 11 hr shadow 8
News Debbie Swenerton, Animal Rescue Worker, Accused... (Dec '12) 14 hr Virginia Vegetarian 13

Albuquerque Jobs

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages