How to fix the fiscal cliff

Posted in the Albuquerque Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#1 Dec 4, 2012
BEST THING I HAVE HEARD YET.....From a senior citizen around 80 yrs. of age. We aren't useless yet.
----------

The Fix:

There recently was an article in the
St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section
asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the
Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.

You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":
There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings -
Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new A ME RICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered -Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!
P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes..

Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!

If you think this would work,please forward to everyone you know.

If not, please disregard.

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#2 Dec 5, 2012
Not too shabby.

Add in term limits and a flat tax of say 18% on everybody with no loopholes until we are out of this mess.

Location hidden

#3 Dec 5, 2012
Phil the Grillmaster wrote:
Not too shabby.
Add in term limits and a flat tax of say 18% on everybody with no loopholes until we are out of this mess.
Good idea but why just till we are out of this mess?

Why not permanent?

And the term limit should be across the board from the lowest level of a city all the ways up to President.

Two three year terms AND when they run for another office they give up the pension from the first one.

OR

One pension only from one political office. Excluding military or any private job they might have held.
bolbobaggins

El Centro, CA

#4 Dec 5, 2012
How to fix the fiscal cliff? Drop Obama over the Grand Canyon, see if he bounces.
Hagar

Sterling Heights, MI

#5 Dec 5, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
BEST THING I HAVE HEARD YET.....From a senior citizen around 80 yrs. of age. We aren't useless yet.
----------
The Fix:
There recently was an article in the
St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section
asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the
Economy?" I think this guy nailed it!
Dear Mr. President,
Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan.
You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":
There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings -
Unemployment fixed.
2) They MUST buy a new A ME RICAN Car. Forty million cars ordered -Auto Industry fixed.
3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.
It can't get any easier than that!!
P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes..
Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
If you think this would work,please forward to everyone you know.
If not, please disregard.
That would only take 4X10 to the 13 power dollars or about 25,000 times the national debt. Perhaps the old gent doesn't understand math. It sounds good and is really funny when you look at the cost.

“I Am No One To Be Trifled With”

Since: Jun 09

Dread Pirate Roberts

#6 Dec 5, 2012
Just let the fiscal cliff happen...

Location hidden

#7 Dec 5, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
Just let the fiscal cliff happen...
True, there is no better way to get those crooked lawyers, er elected clowns to wake up.

All the more so if we can push a few over the cliff....

It will never come to that, watch them come to an agreement on raising taxes.

Then spend triple what the new tax brings in.

Dread Pirate Roberts

#8 Dec 5, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
True, there is no better way to get those crooked lawyers, er elected clowns to wake up.
All the more so if we can push a few over the cliff....
It will never come to that, watch them come to an agreement on raising taxes.
Then spend triple what the new tax brings in.
Probably...it would be disappointing...I mean all they need to do is go home...take a pay cut by not getting paid for this session...and let the fiscal cliff happen...

It would save time, money and a lot of useless bickering that as you post here would end up with the opposite effect of helping the economy...

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9 Dec 5, 2012
Shoot, I thought this was about a new ride at the amusement park<G>...

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#10 Dec 5, 2012
Knightmare wrote:
<quoted text>
Probably...it would be disappointing...I mean all they need to do is go home...take a pay cut by not getting paid for this session...and let the fiscal cliff happen...
It would save time, money and a lot of useless bickering that as you post here would end up with the opposite effect of helping the economy...
The very LAST people to forgo a pay check or raise is congress.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#11 Dec 5, 2012
Not too shabby.
Yes to term limits.
I think 10% would do it nicely. Remember, 47% pay no taxes, yet all of them have income. Flat tax of 10% on everyone's income, no deductions whatsoever for anyone and this economy will snap right back as we'll make a nice annual dent in paying down the debt.

Location hidden

#12 Dec 5, 2012
We need to add NO IMPORTS from China and India.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#13 Dec 5, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
We need to add NO IMPORTS from China and India.
But then where would we buy the things we need<G>??? We make little in the US that we sell here<gasp!>.

Location hidden

#14 Dec 5, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
But then where would we buy the things we need<G>??? We make little in the US that we sell here<gasp!>.
I guess the farmers will have to start growing things again and give up the money paid them not to.

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#15 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if we need those jobs making cheap plastic crap. Those sh!tty products pollute the people and places they reside in anyway.

The kind of manufacturing jobs this country does best now is high tech and (dammit) Defense/Areospace/Automotive.

Of course I've been doing that kinda thing for decades so....

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#16 Dec 6, 2012
<quoted text>
I don't know if we need those jobs making cheap plastic crap. Those sh!tty products pollute the people and places they reside in anyway.
The kind of manufacturing jobs this country does best now is high tech and (dammit) Defense/Areospace/Automotive.
Of course I've been doing that kinda thing for decades so....
Good points!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#17 Dec 6, 2012
Bluntly Spoken wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess the farmers will have to start growing things again and give up the money paid them not to.
Yuppers, like the subsidy many get for undeveloped farm land, such land being the rows between the growing products. As seen on a news article a decade ago...

Dread Pirate Roberts

#18 Dec 6, 2012
http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/1...

1. Econopocalypse

2. Money Fall

3. Bernanke’s Bluff

4. Ar-money-geddon

5. Budget Bedlam

6. Crash Landing

7. Night of the Living Debt

8. Solvent Green

9. Budget Cutpocalypse

10. Budget Brouhaha

11. Fiscal Doomsday

12. Hurricane Sandy's Mistress

13. The Fiscal Kerfuffle

14. The Deficit Strikes Back

15. Dawn of the Debt

The name “fiscal cliff,” coined by Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke last February, refers to the $671 billion in spending cuts and tax increases coming in early 2013. The phrase is admittedly better than other wonky Washington language (I’m looking at you, QE3), but really, couldn’t the media come up with a better, catchier name? Other names that have been thrown around include taxmageddon (not bad), the fiscal slope (yawn), and the austerity crisis (confusing), but they haven’t stuck like The Cliff.

The problem is the fiscal cliff isn’t even entirely accurate. While letting these tax increases and spending cuts go though could toss the economy into another recession, chances are slim that Congress and the White House will let that happen. Even if we do “fall off the cliff” on January 2nd, we could technically climb back up if a new fiscal policy is put in place quickly. So instead of a cliff where you fall off and never go back, it’s likely going to be more like a “Fiscal Dip”(which kind of sounds like a fun dance).

Even comedian Jon Stewart has poked fun at the fiscal cliff lexicon, but all he could muster up was a reference to Thelma and Louise. We have a few suggestions, but we’d love to hear your ideas and have you vote for your favorite. The fiscal cliff occurs within weeks of the Mayan calendar doomsday prediction. And if we’re competing with the Mayans, let’s come up with a name that might actually make it into the Oxford English Dictionary. Here are a few suggestions:

1. Econopocalypse

2. Money Fall

3. Bernanke’s Bluff

4. Ar-money-geddon

5. Budget Bedlam

6. Crash Landing

7. Night of the Living Debt

8. Solvent Green

9. Budget Cutpocalypse

10. Budget Brouhaha

11. Fiscal Doomsday

12. Hurricane Sandy's Mistress

13. The Fiscal Kerfuffle

14. The Deficit Strikes Back

15. Dawn of the Debt

How about we call it " A GREAT START"

Everyone pays more taxes or at least 88% of filers to raise needed revenue.

Washington has to make real cuts not just cuts to proposed increases so we get needed spending reductions.

AND WE ALL DO SOMETHING TOGETHER!!!!!

Even if it is going over the cliff. It must be fair cause all the politicians hate it.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#19 Dec 6, 2012
Damn KM, have you a condensed ver or Cliff notes for the above<G>?

Dread Pirate Roberts

#20 Dec 6, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
Damn KM, have you a condensed ver or Cliff notes for the above<G>?
I didn't want to copy & paste the whole thing...computer hung for a little bit...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 1 hr Katia 61,817
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 1 hr new parrot 112,585
Will the Cankle Queen be Our New Imperator? 1 hr fmer505-1951 19
News NM museums to cease free admission on Sundays 1 hr Shawn C 13
4 Muslim Boys Rape Little Girl in Twin Falls Idaho 1 hr SPAM 43
News ART opponents water trees set to be removed for... 2 hr Yeah 6
News Former President Clinton to campaign for Hillar... 3 hr barefoot2626 132
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages