“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Dec 6, 2012
Well-known Internet entrepreneur and MIT professor Philip Greenspun handed Windows 8 one of its most damning reviews yet earlier this week (Dec 2012), calling the new operating system a “Christmas gift for someone you hate.”

And IMO Greenspun is spot on. Having tried it numerous times, I find nothing of value (for me) with the Metro interface and have put my desire/need for a new laptop on the back burner until something changes, or I buy an older used LT w/o Win8. My desire is to use the laptop, not have to learn a new and more cumbersome operating system. I'm also not wanting to buy new software because Win8 won't run some of it.

Serious thoughts/comments welcome.
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#2 Dec 6, 2012
I have heard that windows 3.1 was more preferred than windows 8

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#3 Dec 6, 2012
lolol wrote:
I have heard that windows 3.1 was more preferred than windows 8
At this point in my dabbling with it, I agree. But then I go back to Windows 1.0 so...

“There is no spoon”

Since: Feb 08

Albuquerque, NM

#4 Dec 6, 2012
I'm still using XP Pro with SP3 on my PC and laptop and I couldn't be happier. XP Pro meets all my needs and I have no plans to upgrade until I'm forced to. Right now I'm doing some work on my sister's PC and that Data Execution Prevention (DEP) that comes with Vista, 7, and 8 is a major pain in the ass. I understand the reason why Microsoft put it there but they could have made it easier to use. For example, when Flash crashes on Mozilla they could have also provided an option to say "Yes" I want to forever run this program instead of having to go into System and fiddle around with DEP there. The only other option is to turn off DEP through the command prompt. And from what I've read in the tech blogs some people that turned it off can't turn it back on. The only way to do it is to reload the OS from scratch. So moving on... just because Microsoft or any OS manufacturer says it's the latest and greatest doesn't mean that it is and it certainly doesn't mean that everyone should abandon their current system and shell out money for the latest product. This is what they do to stimulate sales, they make you think you're being left behind if you don't buy now.
todd Q

Albuquerque, NM

#5 Dec 7, 2012
I still use Windows 95 because it's 87 Microsoft units better than Windows 8.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#6 Dec 7, 2012
The wife wanted a laptop for minimal use and with her blessing I was to get a new LT and she'd take over my older Vista Ultimate LT that works perfectly. Since I'm pretty much forced to go with Win8, I'm going to wait and see if public pressure forces them to give us an option or not. No rush so no harm in waiting.

I just can't justify buying a new LT, then having to spend more money on apps to make it do what I prefer, like an 'older' OS with a "real" start menu. Plus it seems some of my older apps won't work w/ Win8, and I'm not in the mood to have to buy newer ones because of MS arrogance. I want to use my LT, not waste time learning a new OS that stinks.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#7 Dec 9, 2012
I now understand why Apple has two distinct product lines.
1. mobile tablets and phone & 2. computers. Trying to blend tablet operating system with Windows is like a reversible jacket that always looks awful regardless of the side.
lolol

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Dec 10, 2012
to get a small idea how windows 8 is getting along
google
'windows 8 downgrade'
just for yucks

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#9 Dec 10, 2012
lolol wrote:
to get a small idea how windows 8 is getting along
google
'windows 8 downgrade'
just for yucks
Funny, and interesting too!! Win8 sux.
Amy

Allentown, PA

#10 Dec 16, 2012
It takes alot of getting used to, plus I've been a Mac user for many, many years, and just tried out a PC for the 1st time. Decided to try out an ASUS Laptop K-Series, instead of a Mac laptop to save money. The laptop isn't bad considering it's memory and speed and processor etc, and they have pretty good write ups.

I just need some patience to get through this Windows 8 navigation system.
I didn't feel like paying the 1000.00 for a mac laptop just for general use, so got the ASUS laptop.

The Navigation on this Windows 8 is hard to use, no comparison to the Mac's navigation system. But I won't give up, I am able to manuver better each day. I won''t give up, because I do not want to pay the cost for a mac laptop. The cheapest is 1000.00, I feel Apple can come up with a more less expensive version for general use. I was willing to spend 500.00. I think they would reach more customers if they had a less expensive version.

Mine has an i5 processor, and alot of ram.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#11 Dec 17, 2012
Amy wrote:
It takes alot of getting used to, plus I've been a Mac user for many, many years, and just tried out a PC for the 1st time. Decided to try out an ASUS Laptop K-Series, instead of a Mac laptop to save money. The laptop isn't bad considering it's memory and speed and processor etc, and they have pretty good write ups.
I just need some patience to get through this Windows 8 navigation system.
I didn't feel like paying the 1000.00 for a mac laptop just for general use, so got the ASUS laptop.
The Navigation on this Windows 8 is hard to use, no comparison to the Mac's navigation system. But I won't give up, I am able to manuver better each day. I won''t give up, because I do not want to pay the cost for a mac laptop. The cheapest is 1000.00, I feel Apple can come up with a more less expensive version for general use. I was willing to spend 500.00. I think they would reach more customers if they had a less expensive version.
Mine has an i5 processor, and alot of ram.
I'm looking closely at an ASUS 'N' series i7-3630QM, 8gbRAM, 750gbHD(7200rpm, not 5400), full 1920x1080 HD screen res, BluRay etc, a super laptop for sure for just over $1000, but I can't get my arms around Win8. It may be a great system for a tablet or a touch screen LT but I'm not a fan of touch, and Win8 in a mouse environment is really terrible IMO. I'll probably wait and see if MS is going to give some options for downgrading from Win8 or for a more friendly mouse/touchpad environment.
falasha

White Salmon, WA

#12 Dec 18, 2012
Do not buy windows 8. It is horrible horrible horrible sucks bad. SUCKS hate hate hate hate hate
falasha

White Salmon, WA

#13 Dec 18, 2012
hate windows 8
Amy

Kutztown, PA

#14 Dec 18, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm looking closely at an ASUS 'N' series i7-3630QM, 8gbRAM, 750gbHD(7200rpm, not 5400), full 1920x1080 HD screen res, BluRay etc, a super laptop for sure for just over $1000, but I can't get my arms around Win8. It may be a great system for a tablet or a touch screen LT but I'm not a fan of touch, and Win8 in a mouse environment is really terrible IMO. I'll probably wait and see if MS is going to give some options for downgrading from Win8 or for a more friendly mouse/touchpad environment.
I wouldn't know the difference from windows 8 or 7 or any other pc o.s. So for me I am going to stick out the 8. I never used a mouse touch pad either, so I don't know the differences from one or the other. I will be getting a mouse. I was hoping for a better upgrade. Goodluck with your new ASUS.
I can't really tell you how my K-series laptop performs because I can't get through this windows 8 operating system yet.
Joey

Tenino, WA

#15 Dec 18, 2012
I think that Windows 8 is much worse than Vista. Windows 8 is not user friendly. When you register, MS actually has the nerve to demand your email address. Forget about choice. There is no start button and they cram their ugly apps right in your face.

Its abusive towards the customer - YOU. You feel betrayed by MS and abused at the same time.

Windows 7 reminds me of a dumbed down XP. However Windows 8 reminds me of a gay boy on extacy dying of dementia from AIDS.

Even if it is free, I still will not use it on any of our machines. Its an ugly useless toy for someone who is very bored, and does not have to work for a living.

Windows 8 = Vista on crack.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#16 Dec 19, 2012
Amy wrote:
<quoted text>
I wouldn't know the difference from windows 8 or 7 or any other pc o.s. So for me I am going to stick out the 8. I never used a mouse touch pad either, so I don't know the differences from one or the other. I will be getting a mouse. I was hoping for a better upgrade. Goodluck with your new ASUS.
I can't really tell you how my K-series laptop performs because I can't get through this windows 8 operating system yet.
They are as different as night and day, however it seems you may be a good candidate for it if you are unfamiliar with the earlier windows operating system(s). Basically Win8 is a touch screen environment that is being forced upon non-touch screen users of the typical laptop touchpad, and PC keyboard & mouse environments. The two do not play well together, hence my assertion that MS should have given us options. My sense is that there is quite a backlash and that some options will be forthcoming in the months ahead.

Good luck getting it to do what you need, and if it does, great!

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#17 Dec 19, 2012
Joey wrote:
I think that Windows 8 is much worse than Vista. Windows 8 is not user friendly. When you register, MS actually has the nerve to demand your email address. Forget about choice. There is no start button and they cram their ugly apps right in your face.
Its abusive towards the customer - YOU. You feel betrayed by MS and abused at the same time.
Windows 7 reminds me of a dumbed down XP. However Windows 8 reminds me of a gay boy on extacy dying of dementia from AIDS.
Even if it is free, I still will not use it on any of our machines. Its an ugly useless toy for someone who is very bored, and does not have to work for a living.
Windows 8 = Vista on crack.
I've two Vista machines and no problems at all, but I'm not interested in a touch environment on non-touch equipment, and I don't want a touch type LT either. Its all a big waiting game.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#18 Jan 20, 2013
No problems here. I just picked up an HP G7-2320DX at Best Buy for $400 a week ago. I put on one of the *many* start button apps out there, and it bypasses the tile screen, booting directly to the desktop.

I also was a beta-testing user for months before it was released, back when it was an open beta; so I have had a good deal of time to play around with 8.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#19 Jan 20, 2013
Silk_the_Absent1 wrote:
No problems here. I just picked up an HP G7-2320DX at Best Buy for $400 a week ago. I put on one of the *many* start button apps out there, and it bypasses the tile screen, booting directly to the desktop.
I also was a beta-testing user for months before it was released, back when it was an open beta; so I have had a good deal of time to play around with 8.
I've decided to wait since its not a necessity and see where the market goes this year. If there are no other options by year's end then I may cave in, otherwise I'm a hold out. Its not like I ~need~ a new one, old Vista Ultimate LT functions perfectly.

I've found several decent Win7 machines still available but they darned sure are not discounted any, even if a year old and one generation back.

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#20 Jan 20, 2013
I also just ordered a blu-ray combo drive to swap out the stock dvd burner with. $30, and it'll do the job.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 25 min fmer505-1951 61,841
Will the Cankle Queen be Our New Imperator? 3 hr Lajeanna 38
News Commissioners warn against personal fireworks i... 3 hr Pat 17
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 3 hr new parrot 112,608
News Video: Police perspective of anti-Trump chaos i... 4 hr Marie 1
News Some Moriarty firework stands openly sell illeg... 6 hr The Green Watch Dog 3
News King Brothers' Alamo Ranch in New Mexico sells 15 hr Nancy O 8

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages