New Mexico to expand Medicaid program

New Mexico to expand Medicaid program

There are 34 comments on the KOB-TV story from Jan 9, 2013, titled New Mexico to expand Medicaid program. In it, KOB-TV reports that:

Republican Gov. Susana Martinez says New Mexico will follow provisions of a federal health care law to expand the state's Medicaid program to potentially provide medical services to 170,000 low-income adults.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB-TV.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#21 Jan 10, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
Hopefully they will come up with a better solution for our senior citizens on a fixed income. My parents worry of this as well so hopefully everthing works out for the best.
As well they should. Generational theft still has a solid ring to it when one looks at how things are going.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#22 Jan 10, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to start a race war but our country needs to get down to the bare knuckles attitude and start admitting to where the root of the problem is and find solutions.
But that's not the liberal way to face the hard facts and truth.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#23 Jan 10, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you want for a state that embraces illegal citizens to come work not pay taxes and play and get paid for it and then are bold enough to brag about their illegalities.
Its not just NM but its true none the less. This nation has grown an entire generation of welfare users and abusers with so many social programs, and the outlook is even worse.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#24 Jan 10, 2013
I think it is great. We have entitlement as a psychological issue in colleges. Why not for everyone. Bring it on. No one should be unentitled.
http://www.wayfair.com/Kurt-Adler-C428765.htm...
Truth be known

Ozark, AL

#25 Jan 10, 2013
Peas in a Pod wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it!
You can't be DEA or FBI because according to reports your too busy getting cheap paid and unpaid sex from prostitutes or do you men just refer to this as special privileges. The appropriate thing to do is strip them of their top secret clearance and give them a desk job where they can be monitored.
The very people that are suppose to abide by the law are usual the lawbreakers and you wonder why no one respectable respects the system in which these men have declared an oath.
It doesn't matter if prostitution is legal in Mexico those people have no morality anyways. The point is that you are subjected to a higher moral standard.
To give some of these men a slap on the hands just shows integrity is not high on the priority list.
There was a bulletin today on topix that discussed the incident with the federal agents getting caught red handed by soliciting prostitutes in Mexico. This is where the incendary comes from because I wasn't to happy with the results of the presumably lean punishment.
well

Albuquerque, NM

#26 Jan 11, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats were I beg to differ. Not everyone that enrolls in medicaid is unemployed and not everyone who signed up for medicare worked a day in their life.
agreed
the typical senior on SS and medicare worked to receive their SS and medicare benefit. The people on SSI (poor with no SS withholding quarters accumulated to get regular SS benefits) did not pay into the system. SS disability is paid to people with a work/withholding history and is paid a prorated amount dependant on what they put in. SSI is used for non-citizens, citizens with not enough work quarters to qualify for SS or SSDI, children that can't work due to age. Some seniors that receive SS and medicare are also getting medicaid because their SS benefit is far below poverty levels. Case in point a woman who was a mom and after the kids left home worked a typical low paying job could receive as little as a few hundred dollars a month SS and medicare would eat 100.00 of it. The average SS disbursment is 1,200.00 a month, hardly a large amount.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#27 Jan 11, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed
the typical senior on SS and medicare worked to receive their SS and medicare benefit. The people on SSI (poor with no SS withholding quarters accumulated to get regular SS benefits) did not pay into the system. SS disability is paid to people with a work/withholding history and is paid a prorated amount dependant on what they put in. SSI is used for non-citizens, citizens with not enough work quarters to qualify for SS or SSDI, children that can't work due to age. Some seniors that receive SS and medicare are also getting medicaid because their SS benefit is far below poverty levels. Case in point a woman who was a mom and after the kids left home worked a typical low paying job could receive as little as a few hundred dollars a month SS and medicare would eat 100.00 of it. The average SS disbursment is 1,200.00 a month, hardly a large amount.
That equates to just under $7/hr, for sure far from a large amt. My mom is in her 80's and my dad passed over 40 yrs ago. She was left w/ 2 kids at home (I was in the service then). Had my dad not built the house himself she'd have had nothing. She did daycare for years and is drawing SS now. Her income is just over $1000/month. Then along comes medicare and other normal costs.
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#28 Jan 14, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not trying to start a race war but our country needs to get down to the bare knuckles attitude and start admitting to where the root of the problem is and find solutions.
So I'm being judged. Well lets see at least you can make lemonade out of lemons and peanut butter from a peanut so in other words you posters are saying that I'm pretty resourceful, thank you.
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#29 Jan 14, 2013
well wrote:
<quoted text>
agreed
So your saying that someone who did work and had a withholding history should at least get more then someone who has never worked and yet recieved ssi compensation.
That would only be fair, wouldn't you agree?
I would hate to think that all the years that I had to put up with b.s at work that someone who has never worked a day in their life is earning more then I would.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#30 Jan 14, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
So your saying that someone who did work and had a withholding history should at least get more then someone who has never worked and yet recieved ssi compensation.
That would only be fair, wouldn't you agree?
I would hate to think that all the years that I had to put up with b.s at work that someone who has never worked a day in their life is earning more then I would.
Its possible dependent upon ones income and that of a survivor for instance who's spouse paid in but the survivor didn't. IIRC, SS was set up to cover both.
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#31 Jan 14, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Its possible dependent upon ones income and that of a survivor for instance who's spouse paid in but the survivor didn't. IIRC, SS was set up to cover both.
Are you making this up as we go along.
The reason I say this because i believe that my aunt and my mom were getting around the same amount and my aunt was never married nor did she work.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#32 Jan 14, 2013
Truth be known wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you making this up as we go along.
The reason I say this because i believe that my aunt and my mom were getting around the same amount and my aunt was never married nor did she work.
Nope, not made up. If one looks at the SS formula you'll find it nearly as convoluted as the tax code. There are all manner of oddball factors that affect what one gets.

Wife worked for over 25 years, so did I and we're both drawing SS. She made a lot less than I so her monthly benefit was much smaller than mine. SS rules increased hers to half of mine because hers worked out to be under half of mine. The last increase she got but in truth didn't get because it was deducted from the difference between hers and mine, and applied to her original. End result, I got a small increase in my benefit, hers remained the same due to a switcheroo or rob Peter to pay Paul.

See what I mean - convoluted!
Truth be known

Enterprise, AL

#33 Jan 14, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope, not made up. If one looks at the SS formula you'll find it nearly as convoluted as the tax code. There are all manner of oddball factors that affect what one gets.
Wife worked for over 25 years, so did I and we're both drawing SS. She made a lot less than I so her monthly benefit was much smaller than mine. SS rules increased hers to half of mine because hers worked out to be under half of mine. The last increase she got but in truth didn't get because it was deducted from the difference between hers and mine, and applied to her original. End result, I got a small increase in my benefit, hers remained the same due to a switcheroo or rob Peter to pay Paul.
See what I mean - convoluted!
Now your making me dizzy. More like rob Peter to pay Paul who just robbed Penny who just borrowed from Bob.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#34 Jan 14, 2013
Medicaid and Medicare are two different type of programs. Medicaid, the topic, is run by the state with federal funding and based upon income to help with healthcare for those who are poor. Medicare is the long-term health care for the elderly.

But it too is convoluted. Medicaid is not just based on income and it does have severe income restrictions. It also serves specific groups like families, pregnant women, children, caretakers of children, the disabled and the elderly. Medicare has no such income restrictions.

That is also why there is a regular cottage industry of attorneys who specialize in disability and help people divest their assets so that they qualify for medicaid.

Medicaid is not the same as SS for those who have reached the age for its benefits. One can get SS prior to Medicare. One can also get Medicare before SS. Medicaid or Title 19 is part of the Social Security Act. You can't make this up. Or maybe you can.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A.R.T is not good for Albuquerque what do you t... 2 hr dukecitytimes 56
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 4 hr new parrot 61,847
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 4 hr Katia 112,614
News Albuquerque Muslims mourn with, look to local L... 4 hr Shawn 12
News Video: Police perspective of anti-Trump chaos i... 5 hr Francisco 2
4 Muslim Boys Rape Little Girl in Twin Falls Idaho 6 hr Eee gads 56
News Commissioners warn against personal fireworks i... 6 hr Anna 20

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance