Ex-Lovington officer charged with murder

Ex-Lovington officer charged with murder

There are 83 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jul 5, 2008, titled Ex-Lovington officer charged with murder. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

A former Lovington police officer has been charged with an open count of murder in the shooting death of his father.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

butterfly kisses

San Antonio, TX

#24 Jul 7, 2008
I went to school with jake shirly.He was a year older than me. In school he always to me seemed shut off..I dont think he had alot of friends..When he became a police officer I was actually shocked.He didnt seem like the type that could handle it..I learned by people his mom had been beaten for years by her husband. The police were called several times but yet nobody spoke up.If jake was really tired of the abuse, he should have called the police instead of using a firearm to end it. He obviously must have thought about shooting his dad because a gun just doesnt appear out of nowhere..He must have had it on him. Now the mother has to deal with the fact that her son took matters into his own hand because she wouldnt. She has to get onto that witness stand at the trial and either defend her husband or defend her son. How awful that must seem. But she brought that upon herself with not taking care of it herself. I feel for this family..and I hope things work out for the best
Is murder ok

United States

#25 Jul 7, 2008
I just want to say Brenda and Jimmy have been fighting for years. You have to put some blame on her for staying this long with Jimmy. Jake as an ex-cop should of had some type training. Shooting his dad in the head was not called for. I am sure cops are trained to shoot and not to kill. I am also thinking if Brenda remarries and her next husband hits her will it be ok for Jake to kill him to.

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#26 Jul 7, 2008
I don't know Jake, Brenda, Jimmy, or anyone else involved...I do know..if you hit my wife, or my mother...I just might shoot you.

“JUST CALL ME QUIRKY..”

Since: May 08

Burque'

#27 Jul 7, 2008
Daniel in Hobbs wrote:
I don't know Jake, Brenda, Jimmy, or anyone else involved...I do know..if you hit my wife, or my mother...I just might shoot you.
Howdy! Love that bike Daniel. Brings back many happy memories.
SARA TAYLOR

Lubbock, TX

#28 Jul 7, 2008
wow! you people are amazing. jake shirley is my cousin. not one of you have lived his life and know what has gone on. who are you to judge a person. im really in awe by the things people have to say about one family. how bout praying for our family we are going through a hard time right now. just try putting yourself in jakes, my aunts, or even my shoes for five minutes i know you will regert the things you have written on here!!!!!

SARA TAYLOR

“Down in the Bayou”

Since: Apr 08

Vancleave Mississippi

#29 Jul 8, 2008
Molly 1 wrote:
<quoted text> Howdy! Love that bike Daniel. Brings back many happy memories.
thanks Molly..her name is Blue Belle
Jack

United States

#30 Jul 8, 2008
Is murder ok wrote:
I just want to say Brenda and Jimmy have been fighting for years. You have to put some blame on her for staying this long with Jimmy. Jake as an ex-cop should of had some type training. Shooting his dad in the head was not called for. I am sure cops are trained to shoot and not to kill. I am also thinking if Brenda remarries and her next husband hits her will it be ok for Jake to kill him to.
Cops are trained to shoot center mass, in the chest. Head shots are known as body armor drills and are taken at 5-7 yards.

Sounds like a few people knew what was going on with this family and no one stepped in to help.

A punch in the face to a woman is a horrible thing, but does not justify deadly force. Jake's biggest problem is that he was a cop and trained to this fact. They will make an example of him. Now his mom has a son in jail and dead husband.
Friend

Muncy, PA

#31 Jul 8, 2008
SARA TAYLOR wrote:
wow! you people are amazing. jake shirley is my cousin. not one of you have lived his life and know what has gone on. who are you to judge a person. im really in awe by the things people have to say about one family. how bout praying for our family we are going through a hard time right now. just try putting yourself in jakes, my aunts, or even my shoes for five minutes i know you will regert the things you have written on here!!!!!
SARA TAYLOR
AMEN!! As a friend of Jakes it amazes me to read all of these comments from people who have no idea of the situation. Jake is not a bad person. He has always been a very selfless, giving friend. Sure he has his problems, everyone does. But, knowing him, I do not blame him for the situation he was thrown into. He did what he felt he had to do and no one has the right to judge him. Instead of worrying about whether what he did was right or wrong you should pray for him and his family.
deb

Hobbs, NM

#32 Jul 8, 2008
SilenceUnheard wrote:
<quoted text>
Shooting your own Father??????What happened to Mace,Nightstick,handcuffs,stun gun,i am sure everyone in prison is licking there chops ,A COP and a DAD KILLER...sad story
you are stupid........He IS NOT a police officer. He is a regular civilian. Get off of the police training and items carried by an officer. You just fed right in to the media hype used to SELL their news!!!!!!
Jakes 1st grade buddy

Saint Louis, MO

#33 Jul 8, 2008
Yeah jake lived 2 doors down the street from me when I was in 1st grade. His dad was alway yelling and there was one incident where jakes little brother spilled a drink on the carpet and his dad picked him up by the neck to yell at him. I also remember that his dad had several sexaul harrasment problems where he worked. EVen at the young age of 6 years I could tell that jakes dad wasn't a good person. I feel sorry for jake, that he had to grow up in the kind of enviroment and is in the situation he is in now, but I'm sure Jim Shirley had it coming for a long time. I am just sorry jake was the one who had to do it.
Speaking

Hobbs, NM

#35 Jul 8, 2008
Shame on you for actually trying to post a blog. Just because you feel that Jake was too immature for work at the Police Department that is your opinion. I can't believe that a Law Enforcement officer would say that Jake was a disturbed person. You for one don't even know what had happened in his childhood. You talk about how Jake was handed everything. You being a police officer you should know that when a child is abused the abuser usually feels guilty for the things that they have done and purchases items and other things. Just answer this Mr Police Officer have you ever worked a spouse abuse call. Tell me how were the kids when you arrived? Were they sitting there playing with there toys or were they disturbed. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental at things because it looks to me like you should find a new career. I surely wouldn't want you on my side.
Bigdog wrote:
I've never posted on one of these things before so I hope I'm doing this right. I just logged on to read the news about Jake Shirley, an ex-Lovington Police Officer. I'm also an ex-Lovington Police Officer, and I also worked with Jake. I didn't log on to bad mouth Jake, but I felt compelled to voice my opinion on this subject. Jake was a very disturbed person. It was one of those cases where dad and mom gave him everything he ever wanted, and never expected much from him. Jake was hired at the Lovington Police Department because of who his dad was and who his dad knew. Most of the officers that worked with Jake, me included, knew Jake was not mature enough to handle the job. I guess that's what upsets me about this situation. People want to make this about law enforcement. It has nothing to due with the fact that Jake was a police officer in Lovington (Less than a year)Jake had family problems and alot of other issues in his life. I'm no fan of the Lovington Police Department, I do have a lot of friends still working there. I can tell you that Jake started out as normal as me and you, and evolved in to a problem child. It should also be noted that Jake didn't decide to leave the Lovington Police Department, he was asked to leave, instead of being fired. He later went to another department, where he was also asked to leave. Jake had a hard time with this and continued to say he was a police officer, when in fact he no longer was. As far as the domestic violance in his life, I have no doubt that Jim used to hit his wife. However as mentioned above nobody would cooperate with responding officers. It's easy to blame law enforcement for these problems. But I can tell you from experience in my six years of law enforcement I've never had a domestic case go all the way to a trial. I know it isn't easy for victims to come forward. But if they don't there is nothing we can do, unless we have physical evidence. One more thing this doesn't have anything to do with the color of anyones skin, as mentioned above, this is a horrible thing no matter what color of skin you have. So please don't make this about your own twisted cause. I hope this sheds some light on the situation for you all.
angels among us

Columbus Junction, IA

#36 Jul 8, 2008
I too, want everyone that is blogging on this subject to pray for this family. I wish that people were not judgmental and do not know what this family has gone through. I am sure that his intentions were not to kill but to scare his father. The only thing was that Mr. Shirley died as a result. I think that right now Jake regrets what happened and as well as his mom. I am more than sure that he loved both of his parents. This was a family a real family, now I am sure that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Am I right? Not everyone should judge him or his family for their actions. I do not know this family personally but I do know that they were very good people. Doug, the younger brother was an awesome kid in school. Everyone that is blogging needs to be more supportive and not quick to judge everyone. God does forgive sinners... and I am sure he will forgive him too.
god bless

Maitland, FL

#37 Jul 8, 2008
its truly a sad story...my mother, dawn pechal, Brenda's cousin, just told me the news about this tragedy, even though i have never met these people, i truly feel for them. my prayers are with all of you. leave the judging up to God, because in the end, he is the one who is responsible for judging. and in all honesty, i believe that everyone that is wrongfully judging this or any situation without knowing the facts, is just as wrong as the person you are criticizing. god bless
lvts finest

United States

#38 Jul 8, 2008
total bullshit man i went to school with him ya he got all he wanted and lied alot. but his dad gave him everything to try to buy him frieds. i mean come on his dad was a asshole. the beatings that he gave his wife seemed to never stop. i know it is sad that a son could shoot his dad and all but you can only push a man so far before something has to be done. ive seen alot of the family members in the past few days since this happend and it seems like they all can sleep at night nowing that their family is safe and arent worrying about who he will freak out on next
Bigdog

Hobbs, NM

#40 Jul 9, 2008
Dear Speaking
Shame on me? It's funny you say that because I'm sitting here with one of my co-workers who just read your stupid blog. She suffered abuse as a child and guess what? She didn't shoot anybody in the head. I guess you know Jake? I responded to alot of calls with Jake as an officer. And yes Jake was immature. Since Jake just shot his dad in the head, maybe I was right?(Disturbed?) I think it's funny that you suggested I should find another career. I've known lots of people who don't like police officers, yet when their in danger they call 911 real fast. Maybe I should clarify, I do feel sorry for Jake. However we need to look at the facts, Jake took his dad's life. Just because his dad was an abusive asshole,that doesn't make it right. Jake was a certified police officer at one time, we went to the same police academy. I'm pretty sure they didn't say you can shoot the suspect in the head because you had a bad childhood. I'll check my books from the academy and let you know. You mentioned in your blog the abuser gives their victims gifts, in attempt to make up for the abuse. How do you know Jake's dad wasn't also abused as a child? Does that mean it would be ok for him to hurt other people? I think giving Jake an excuse for killing Jim, is no better than giving Jim an excuse for abusing his family. I'm sorry, I'm trying to answer all of the questions from your uneducated blog. Did you ask if I ever had a female victim?(Buy the way Jake is a Male) If you'll clarify that question in english I'll try to educate you. As far as being on your side, when I show up at 6'2'' 250'lbs to protect people, I usually don't hear any complaints. I know how to do my job; my job is to be on the side of the victim. Jake is not a victim now. Maybe Jake was a victim as a kid, but he isn't a kid anymore. If every person that was abused or mistreated as a kid picked up a gun and shot somebody, then I guess all of the recent school shootings would be ok with you. Love to hear from you again. Mr. Police Officer
Co- Worker-
I did not have the pleasure of ever meeting Jake. However let me fill you in on a few things. It is people like you that make things hard on Law enforcement. You want to give excuses to all those that do wrong in the name of so called justice. Well sister let me tell you those excuses get officers hurt. As far as Mr. Police Officer goes I would want him on my side if I was a victim, I was abused (sexually) starting at the age of two and as a "real" victim I can say I AM NOT A VICTIM. I will not allow you or anyone else to give me an excuse for bad or illegal behavior. You asked if Mr. Police Officer has ever had a female victim. How stupid can one person be to ask that question. Mr. Police Officer comes into work every day and tells dispatch "oh Ya I don't want to deal with women today so pass those calls on to someone else." You are a stupid naive little girl Mr. Police Officer does not need a new career because every morning he walks into dispatch and takes every call handed to him, helps those that need it (male or female) and when he is done with that he tells dispatch a joke to get them laughing to take their mind off the baby who just died because the mothers boyfriend beat it. When you get a clue to abuse and real life feel free to respond but please, please make it an intelligent response. Thank you for your time and patience to this response._ Sincerely THE PISSED OFF CO WORKER
Cooper

Hobbs, NM

#41 Jul 9, 2008
It looks to me like Speaking lives in Hobbs New Mexico. Why did you waste your time speaking to her. She is most likely married to oil field trash that kicks her ass all of the time. And he's also her brother. Bigdog types too much. Keep it short. Bigdog does make a good point.
Concerned

Hobbs, NM

#42 Jul 9, 2008
I notice alot of you are giving this Jake guy a pat on the back for killing his dad. Have you ever heard of the Fourth Amendment?(Speaking) Jake was a police officer and they should make an example of him. My prayers go out to his mother, the real victim in this.
Cooper

Hobbs, NM

#43 Jul 9, 2008
Who the hell asked you Concerned? By the way I know you. And I know you called in sick to work today. I saw you at the bar last night.
Concerned

Hobbs, NM

#44 Jul 9, 2008
Get a life.
Cooper

Hobbs, NM

#45 Jul 9, 2008
Why don't you hook up with Speaking?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Rape suspect's arrest reignites pretrial detent... 12 min hillu2 3
News Debbie Swenerton, Animal Rescue Worker, Accused... (Dec '12) 2 hr Squach 16
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 5 hr Katia 116,286
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 15 hr Cooties 65,292
News Guadalupe County sheriff candidate's residency ... Sat Luz Aranda 4
McDonalds Installs Kiosks ---- Reduces Employees (Sep '17) Sat Luz Aranda 43
Left-Handers and Rh Negative Blood, Connection... (Feb '12) Sat gminas 69

Albuquerque Jobs

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages