Giant sinkhole develops near Artesia

There are 20 comments on the KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico story from Jul 18, 2008, titled Giant sinkhole develops near Artesia. In it, KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico reports that:

A giant sinkhole near Artesia is now hundreds of feet wide and could grow big enough to hit a nearby gas line, state environment officials say.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KOB.com Eyewitness News 4 - New Mexico.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“NM: The Underground State”

Since: Dec 07

Carlsbad, New Mexico

#1 Jul 18, 2008
For those of you that have to go to Loco Hills from Carlsbad.. All I can say is good luck. The road they are talking about is CR 217 betten roads 206 and 360.
I had to go out there yesterday and found out the hard way, lol.

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#2 Jul 18, 2008
This kind of thing could create a bad image for Loco Hills.

Carlsbad, New Mexico

#3 Jul 19, 2008
Well.. Loco Hills is pretty much all oil field.. The way I understand it, the well has something to do with bryn (sic) water.
You can still get to Loco Hills either take 206 or 360 all the way to the Lovington Hwy,or 360 to 217. But it adds 5 miles to the trip.
Does anyone remember how big the one in Texas was? I was in the last couple months.

“26.2”

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Jul 19, 2008
Rachael Jacobs wrote:
The way I understand it, the well has something to do with bryn (sic) water.
Is that a brine disposal well used to inject salt water from the oil wells?
President Mccain

United States

#5 Jul 19, 2008
My friends, global warming is to blame...no doubt about it..the temp has risen 200 degrees since last year..we are all going to die...

Carlsbad, New Mexico

#6 Jul 19, 2008
Yea from what I was told it belongs to Jim's Water Service. It's REALLY been a bad year for JWS.. Between accidents and this, I don't see JWS being in services very much longer.
dude

Albuquerque, NM

#7 Jul 20, 2008
The lease I work on is a mile from the sinkhole on 217. The state will have a hell of a time trying to blame JWS for this, since BLM is the one that give them permission to pump water into the ground.
JOE

United States

#8 Jul 21, 2008
THE BLM SHOULD LOOK AT THE OTHER INJECTION WELLS IN THAT AREA ...CAUSE I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE IS ONE JUST A
1/4 MILE OR LESS FROM THERE
nje

El Paso, TX

#9 Jul 21, 2008
Well if that is east of Artesia, no wonder all or most of the land is sandy soil anyway. Yep mostly oil wells out there. Not on Turkey Track Ranch is it. or is it the other direction. I can't see that it would be JWS fault but you can bet that BLM will try to blame someone. They won't take the blame for this one. Been awhile since I had been back out there. NO butt head not glabal warming either. Some idiot these days lol.

“26.2”

Santa Fe, NM

#10 Jul 21, 2008
How deep, or into what rock formation, are they supposed to be injecting that salt water?
great white fish

United States

#11 Jul 22, 2008
Maybe now they will go ahead with the man made lake in loco hills that they have always been talking about

“I should be working!”

Since: Jul 08

Santa Fe, NM

#12 Jul 22, 2008
Maybe its just Texas SUCKING!
El Ripper

Boise, ID

#13 Jul 22, 2008
Yeah texas is really sucking now, the sink hole comes after the golf ball..........
Actually this is all state land, and the BLM doesnt have anything to do with injection wells. The state takes over all jurisdiction of injection or water disposal wells. Once the water is an issue in the State the OCD has all jusisdiction injec or disposal. Talk about pointing fingers .... AND no one can foresee sink holes, as they are very common where formations of salt, gypsum, kasrst and cavernous areas exist, like maybe....southeast NM. They sucked the salt out in volumes unheard of.....now there is no solid structure there, the overburden is causing it to collapse, simple, but its the NMOCD who approves ALL water injection and disposal wells regardless of land ownership.
Al Gore

Atlanta, GA

#14 Jul 22, 2008
Hmm,Global warming.

Hey, buckwheat...pick me as your running mate.

Al-Obama '08 (The south shall rise again)

“26.2”

Santa Fe, NM

#15 Jul 22, 2008
If they are injecting oil field brine, the produced water in the Permian Basin should be at or near saturation with regard to sodium chloride. It would not be likely that the injected brine would dissolve even more salt. Maybe the brine is dissolving gypsum to create the cavity and sinkhole.

As for the idea of a lake, who would want to swim and boat in smelly oil field brine?
Donald Draper

Loganville, GA

#16 Jul 23, 2008
is there a name for this sink hole yet and where can I find more pictures of it

Carlsbad, New Mexico

#17 Jul 23, 2008
Donald Draper wrote:
is there a name for this sink hole yet and where can I find more pictures of it
Give me your email and i'll send you some i got on friday (18th) It's twice the size and the water lever dropped from 40 to 75 feet

“26.2”

Santa Fe, NM

#18 Jul 24, 2008
The Santa Fe New Mexican website has two great pictures of the sinkhole.
Klaatu Barada Nikto

AOL

#19 Jul 25, 2008
No need to panic. It is simply New Mexico's Anal Birth-Canal trying to give birth to more crooked cops, judges, politicians, government employees, etc.
You didn't really think these crooks we have such an abundance of were born of real, flesh and blood Mothers, did you? S
Todd

Carlsbad, NM

#20 Jul 25, 2008
Sink Hole Location
32 43'55"N,104 07'41"W
Paste the line shown above into Google Earth under the "fly to" tab to go to the location.
You can download google earth for free at:
http://earth.google.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Deep Tragedy of Ken Burns 2 hr Opel 5
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 3 hr fmer505-1951 108,082
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 3 hr fmer505-1951 57,397
News Albuquerque police arrest man accused of beatin... 5 hr jailbait 1
News Police: Thief hit every Albuquerque Target store 12 hr fmer505-1951 4
News Teen Injured in Shooting 21 hr geri 1
News Some beards are crappy because they are 21 hr geri 1
More from around the web

Albuquerque People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE