Mail-in ballot 40%-50% election - Alb...

Mail-in ballot 40%-50% election - Albuquerque

Posted in the Albuquerque Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#1 Feb 14, 2013
How amusing that we are forced to pay postage (46 stamp) to vote in this. What a bunch of BS. BTW, I voted NO, leave it at the 40% we now have, no need to spend more money for another election.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#2 Feb 14, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
How amusing that we are forced to pay postage (46 stamp) to vote in this. What a bunch of BS. BTW, I voted NO, leave it at the 40% we now have, no need to spend more money for another election.
I knew you'd beat me to this. I was kind of, "well, chit"! I thought voting was supposed to be free! I'm also none too pleased about having my signature written on the outside of something that will be seen by many eyeballs with my name and address. I won't be putting a return address label! I also voted no.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#3 Feb 14, 2013
p.s. wouldn't this qualify as disenfrachisement?

<snicker>

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#4 Feb 15, 2013
It is a poll tax. And love the ID theft-proof envelopes. Good thinking.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#5 Feb 15, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
It is a poll tax. And love the ID theft-proof envelopes. Good thinking.
Yep. After posting yesterday, I looked at the envelope again and absorbed the fact that my name and address is printed on it. Next year they can add our SS#s as well. Interesting method to deter voters!

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#6 Feb 15, 2013
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew you'd beat me to this. I was kind of, "well, chit"! I thought voting was supposed to be free! I'm also none too pleased about having my signature written on the outside of something that will be seen by many eyeballs with my name and address. I won't be putting a return address label! I also voted no.
Since I didn't pay attention & mailed it in, then read the ditty in the Journal about signing the thing, guess mine won't be counted as I didn't sign it. I was too annoyed over the principle of posting a stamp to it - my dumb error! Oh well, not the first or last error I ever make.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#7 Feb 15, 2013
Might be some places you could drop them off at. And didn't we just have a school board election mill levy thingy? That cost a fortune per vote given the turnout? What gives?

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#8 Feb 15, 2013
Already mailed in<sigh>. I called the City Clerks office to inquire of they'd be counted, and if not the process for obtaining a replacement. Awaiting a call back.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#9 Feb 15, 2013
Interesting resolution options for my unsigned but mailed in ballot which will NOT be counted since it's unsigned:

1) come in person and sign the envelope and it'll be counted (unsigned ballot/envelopes will be retained until the election closing.
-or-
2) they'll mail me an affidavit which I sign, have notarized and mail back in or drop off in person;
then they'll mail be another ballot which I can either mail back in again or drop off.
-or-
3) just bag it altogether.

Pretty convoluted process but then I made the mistake so it's up to me to resolve it.

What I also find annoying IN PRINCIPLE is that the CoA doesn't use the junk mail concept of mail backs where the return envelope comes post paid but there is only a USPS charge provided I mail it back in, then is when it goes thru the mail. Of course that doesn't address the core issue here (ballot unsigned) but...

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#10 Feb 15, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
Interesting resolution options for my unsigned but mailed in ballot which will NOT be counted since it's unsigned:
1) come in person and sign the envelope and it'll be counted (unsigned ballot/envelopes will be retained until the election closing.
-or-
2) they'll mail me an affidavit which I sign, have notarized and mail back in or drop off in person;
then they'll mail be another ballot which I can either mail back in again or drop off.
-or-
3) just bag it altogether.
Pretty convoluted process but then I made the mistake so it's up to me to resolve it.
What I also find annoying IN PRINCIPLE is that the CoA doesn't use the junk mail concept of mail backs where the return envelope comes post paid but there is only a USPS charge provided I mail it back in, then is when it goes thru the mail. Of course that doesn't address the core issue here (ballot unsigned) but...
This whole thing bugs me. They should absolutely be postage paid but they should also have the outer envelope completely anonymous. To require someone sign their legal signature on something that also has their name and address printed on it that is available to sooo many people not involved in the ballot protection process is just insane. It's the perfect opportunity for crooks.

To Willow, they should have drop off locations. Something secured, like an ATM.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#11 Feb 15, 2013
I just thought of something. I wonder if they would count the votes (hubby and I) if I mailed them in, with the signatures, but blacked out the name and address. They have some sort of bar code. Perhaps that serves as identification.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#12 Feb 15, 2013
Call them and ask...ID theft etc..

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#13 Feb 15, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
Call them and ask...ID theft etc..
I posed that scenario asking what if I'd not received them, among a couple others. Their response was they were sent so the same process would apply if they never arrived at my home. Same scenario meaning notarized affidavit, returned, then new ballots issued. As long as they were originally ~sent~ by the City Clerks office to you, that response applies regardless of what happened to them after that.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#14 Feb 15, 2013
Just left of right wrote:
I just thought of something. I wonder if they would count the votes (hubby and I) if I mailed them in, with the signatures, but blacked out the name and address. They have some sort of bar code. Perhaps that serves as identification.
Unlikely as they'd need both so they knew who they were sent to and who sent them back.

What it boils down to is I was careless, and now I/we know the consequences of such carelessness. Y'all can learn from my error.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#15 Feb 16, 2013
CornDogz wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlikely as they'd need both so they knew who they were sent to and who sent them back.
What it boils down to is I was careless, and now I/we know the consequences of such carelessness. Y'all can learn from my error.
I still haven't mailed ours........

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#16 Feb 16, 2013
Just left of right wrote:
<quoted text>
I still haven't mailed ours........
They claim on the news you can put them all into another envelope and mail that in if you have an identity theft concern, but I also know if that whole shebang exceeds 1/4" thickness, or if the size exceeds a standard #10 business envelope, the postage rate goes up. The PO has a plastic template with a slot in it for that purpose and if your letter doesn't fall thru it because of thickness, it has to go at a higher rate, seriously. Their sorter kicks to another chute anything exceeding the #10 size.

“Each Thought Creates A Reality”

Since: Nov 08

Location hidden

#17 Feb 16, 2013
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/politics/hundred...

hundreds of ballots won't count because some topix poster forgot to sign it....

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#18 Feb 16, 2013
Willothewisp wrote:
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/p olitics/hundreds-of-special-el ection-ballots-wont-count
hundreds of ballots won't count because some topix poster forgot to sign it....
Of which both my wife's and mine are part of because we didn't sign ours - my error. I voiced my opinion on the process when I called them on the matter.

“Shoot First, Think Never”

Since: Jun 09

Elk Grove

#19 Feb 25, 2013
You think they did all this intentionally? Talk about fomenting voter fraud....

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#20 Feb 25, 2013
Knightmare wrote:
You think they did all this intentionally? Talk about fomenting voter fraud....
Intentional, no - really dumb and ill thought out, yes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Albuquerque Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cody Posey release imminent - Ruidoso News (Mar '10) 1 hr Maryjones 191
Ellen Snyder Murder Sentencing Today, July 19... (Jul '11) 4 hr Rio 66
Today I Saw (Nov '09) 7 hr Katia 65,065
Good Old Days 2 (Apr '10) 8 hr new parrot 116,048
News 'A total distraction': ABQ teacher union head b... Sat Dee Dee Dee 4
the fbi and another flub up Sat coyote505 6
How Many Dacas? 800,000 is now 1.7 million Sat Bloodonhishands 5

Albuquerque Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Albuquerque Mortgages