Eagle strikes plane at Centennial Air...

Eagle strikes plane at Centennial Airport

There are 1 comment on the 9NEWS story from Dec 7, 2012, titled Eagle strikes plane at Centennial Airport. In it, 9NEWS reports that:

The FAA said the pilot suffered a minor cut to the face, but was treated and released.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 9NEWS.

H2O Scout

United States

#1 Dec 8, 2012
Where am I wrong?

A few things you must know about the area surrounding Centennial, Colorado an urban-suburb of Denver Colorado. The area is a High Plateau and very arid at 5,280 feet above sea level . It is not a place in which you would normally find North American Great Bald Eagles. There is a stream – Cherry Creek - that runs through the area and into the city center of Denver CO where it joins the South Platte River – tributary to the Missouri River A 1,000 year rain storm dropped 25” of rain in the area in the 1940’s as a result Denver flooded. As a wise decision by the US Army Corp of Engineers, Cherry Creek was dammed creating Cherry Creek Reservoir (1950) to prevent future flooding. Now 62 years later there is a wonderful 2,630 acre (4 square mile) lake on a high desert plain in the urban area of Denver Colorado.
In the 1960 with Denver and the surrounding towns (suburbs) booming the City of Centennial. CO built an Airport! This airport and it’s major North-South Runway is exactly 4 miles due South (center to center) of the Cherry Creek Reservoir. On days like Friday when aircraft are training pilots and the wind was changing from the WSouthwest to ENortheast. The takeoff or landing flight path would be north or south over Cherry Creek Reservoir on takeoff-landing
So what conclusion could one develop –“Humans are 100% the blame for all incidents where Raptors – Especially North American Great Bald Eagles come into contact with aircraft at the Centennial, Colorado Airport.”
12:55 PM, Fri 7 December 2012 48° 25° 40% 29.82in 70mi 20000ft ENE
21mph 29mph Broken Clouds
11:55 AM, Fri7 December 2012 52° 16° 24% 29.82in 70mi 20000ft WSW
7mph NA Broken Clouds
Aircraft N415RJ

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Civil Aircraft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ask the Captain: Are old planes more fun to fly? Nov 6 Cgarles Gessner 1
News Buy a new NSX and you can put the badges on as ... (Mar '17) Sep '17 a hole 3
News Private pilots take key role in bringing suppli... Sep '17 atta boys 1
News Downed Plane Found in Big Bear City Jul '17 Anonymous 1
News I was fired for not signing off on jet leaking ... Jun '17 Air 1
News New nonstop flight connects Austin to favorite ... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Favorite phartz 1
News The August eclipse is the 'most spectacular thi... (Mar '17) Apr '17 whoknew 2
More from around the web