How do you keep O'Hare open in a blizzard?

There are 9 comments on the Feb 1, 2011, www.chicagotribune.com story titled How do you keep O'Hare open in a blizzard?. In it, www.chicagotribune.com reports that:

Removing snow from runways and taxiways marks only the first step that city aviation officials must take to safely prepare Chicago's airports for the severely limited number of flights expected to resume on Wednesday, following curtailed operations on Tuesday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.chicagotribune.com.

crazy ox3thongee

Scottsdale, AZ

#1 Feb 1, 2011
Glowball colden!:-00h, Dr. Bill does Al Gore speaker for Scienteeth?:-0000

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#2 Feb 2, 2011
crazy ox3thongee wrote:
Glowball colden!:-00h, Dr. Bill does Al Gore speaker for Scienteeth?:-0000
Al Gore has been pretty quiet lately.

For a better read, read Gore Vidal.
crazy ox3thongee

Scottsdale, AZ

#3 Feb 2, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Al Gore has been pretty quiet lately.
For a better read, read Gore Vidal.
just kiddin Dr. Bill! Tao don't belong to Triologee (relegend,science,politic) U know dat? keep yocells warm OK ;)
WOODCHUCK

North Port, FL

#4 Feb 2, 2011
Delays at ORD O'Hare today are severe....Snow removel is the same old way ..huge gang type plows clearing the Runways,Of Which O'Hare has nurmous.Taxi ways big problems..All planes must be De -Iced just before take off...the Gates are a special problem....not to mention the vehicles with baggage,the Tractor plane movers,...visibility big problem..with "O" Vis Blowing snow,High traffic all test Tower,and Pilots....the Parking Lots ? today horrendous..Traffic to and from the air port?..look at the news...a good day for air Travelers to sit at home,or hotels....but The half brains all have "GOTTAGOITUS"...noth ing it seems to penetrate the fact other forces are in play..So its they who do all the Bitching and Moaning....however ..operations will proceed,..this is true in most airports thru out the USA....Here in Fla,your stuck also..weather fine,perfect..but where are ya going...O'Hare???.Forget it..Gates all used up1..time slots NONE!..Wanna sit on the ramp in a Tube like a Spam can?? No heat??.With Irate Passengers acting like Baboons??..Ya gotta be nuts to board a plane in this weather..BUT?....HIGH AND MIGHTY ?? Not Fer Me!!...Yes Another Margaretta Please.By he Pool!Please!.Pardon me ,just answering this Bikini clad Lovely, offering me an other..CHEERS MEN!,I call ya Men,but you know What You are!!

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#5 Feb 2, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
Delays at ORD O'Hare today are severe....Snow removel is the same old way ..huge gang type plows clearing the Runways,Of Which O'Hare has nurmous.Taxi ways big problems..All planes must be De -Iced just before take off...the Gates are a special problem....not to mention the vehicles with baggage,the Tractor plane movers,...visibility big problem..with "O" Vis Blowing snow,High traffic all test Tower,and Pilots....the Parking Lots ? today horrendous..Traffic to and from the air port?..look at the news...a good day for air Travelers to sit at home,or hotels....but The half brains all have "GOTTAGOITUS"...noth ing it seems to penetrate the fact other forces are in play..So its they who do all the Bitching and Moaning....however ..operations will proceed,..this is true in most airports thru out the USA....Here in Fla,your stuck also..weather fine,perfect..but where are ya going...O'Hare???.Forget it..Gates all used up1..time slots NONE!..Wanna sit on the ramp in a Tube like a Spam can?? No heat??.With Irate Passengers acting like Baboons??..Ya gotta be nuts to board a plane in this weather..BUT?....HIGH AND MIGHTY ?? Not Fer Me!!...Yes Another Margaretta Please.By he Pool!Please!.Pardon me ,just answering this Bikini clad Lovely, offering me an other..CHEERS MEN!,I call ya Men,but you know What You are!!
You SOB!
WOODCHUCK

North Port, FL

#6 Feb 2, 2011
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
You SOB!
Yes Mr. Bill,Margarette's Pool side,The Loveys tending to their Sun tans,everywhere,and all over,Laying here inhaling with warm air, the fragrance of the flowers,and aromas of the closeness of the Lusty loveys who parade their fine physical attributes around!, praising the celestial gifts or "RA", Oh Solo Mio we all sing!... Ohh did I mention the Sun sets?? Well allow me..The solace of individual thought, seeing old Sol retiring in full glory,slowly in its eternal magnificence..I'm around a beautiful,voluptuous girl,toasting and thanking "RA" for a great day....with the knowledge that Tomorrow comes ,and so does this litany of pleasure!.words fail Me!! decadent?,but nice!....its in these moments I start to think of more lofty subjects...like "GLOBAL WARMING"...NOT!!..... But Alas, in the autumn of life now ,I can only sigh,and dream..to a Point THO!!..this Fountain Of Youth Atmosphere does have effects!....stay warm in yer Igloo , Courage my boy!..help is on the way , do not worry,be happy,in about 6 mos. or so!!LOL!!

Yes my Dear ,Another MARGARETTA in the Cabana please.and light the candles!!........Would I like a soothing Body Rub? With exotic Oils/..But Of Course baby!

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#7 Feb 2, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Mr. Bill,Margarette's Pool side,The Loveys tending to their Sun tans,everywhere,and all over,Laying here inhaling with warm air, the fragrance of the flowers,and aromas of the closeness of the Lusty loveys who parade their fine physical attributes around!, praising the celestial gifts or "RA", Oh Solo Mio we all sing!... Ohh did I mention the Sun sets?? Well allow me..The solace of individual thought, seeing old Sol retiring in full glory,slowly in its eternal magnificence..I'm around a beautiful,voluptuous girl,toasting and thanking "RA" for a great day....with the knowledge that Tomorrow comes ,and so does this litany of pleasure!.words fail Me!! decadent?,but nice!....its in these moments I start to think of more lofty subjects...like "GLOBAL WARMING"...NOT!!..... But Alas, in the autumn of life now ,I can only sigh,and dream..to a Point THO!!..this Fountain Of Youth Atmosphere does have effects!....stay warm in yer Igloo , Courage my boy!..help is on the way , do not worry,be happy,in about 6 mos. or so!!LOL!!
Yes my Dear ,Another MARGARETTA in the Cabana please.and light the candles!!........Would I like a soothing Body Rub? With exotic Oils/..But Of Course baby!
STOP, damn you, STOP.

I'll have a cup of hot coffee after clearing about 1/4" of hard ice off 80' of sidewalk, and about 90 sq yards of driveway.
snowplowerholic

Schaumburg, IL

#8 Feb 9, 2011
WOODCHUCK wrote:
Hey woodchuck, I plow at o'hare, when you said gates are a special problem, we had gates clean by friday. We are still working on taxiways and runways one week later.

“It's a Brand New Day”

New Rochelle

#9 Feb 10, 2011
snowplowerholic wrote:
<quoted text>Hey woodchuck, I plow at o'hare, when you said gates are a special problem, we had gates clean by friday. We are still working on taxiways and runways one week later.
My hat is off to you (and my ears are freezing) for the great work all the plowers have done to keep our runways, roadways, highways and byways open.

All you 'plowers' have gone above and beyong during this terrible, snowy winter.

Thanks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Cessna Aircraft Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Building an airplane, one rivet at a time Feb '15 kurtcooksalot16 1
News Despite Internet alert, Wisconsin State Patrol ... (Jun '14) Dec '14 storm warning 3
News Australian teen takes control after pilot faints (Jan '14) Jan '14 The Bush 1
News Corbella: Neil Young chooses his own comfort ov... (Jan '14) Jan '14 SpaceBlues 5
News Plane Skids Off Runway at Livermore Municipal A... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Oct 2
News Passenger lands plane after pilot falls ill (Oct '13) Oct '13 Rio 1
News Thousands enthralled by all aspects of Wings Ov... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Mr white person 1
More from around the web