Dreamliner's Battery Woes A Deja Vu M...

Dreamliner's Battery Woes A Deja Vu Moment For Aviation Industry

There are 4 comments on the National Public Radio story from Mar 5, 2013, titled Dreamliner's Battery Woes A Deja Vu Moment For Aviation Industry. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

Lithium-ion batteries sparked a crisis for Boeing's Dreamliner 787 - but the crisis is not an unprecedented one.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

Lex Loeb

Portland, OR

#1 Mar 5, 2013
It may not be the properties of the lithium batteries that are entirely to blame. My suspicion is that the carbon fiber composites used in the plane maybe channeling static electricity. Some of the earliest electrical experiments used glass rods and cat fur pelts to generate static electricity. Cat fur is related to carbon fiber because of the carbon in it. The carbon fiber used in the design could be the problem because there can be static electricity build up that is zeroing in on the batteries in the electrical network throughout the plane. This can be tested for and isolated as the cause if it is the cause. People who wear certain kinds of shoes may be experiencing static electric shocks on the rugs in the plane? It if is a static electric problem it is one that can be solved by diverting the charge away from the electrical systems and dissipating it into a static electric capacitor or into the atmosphere. The problem with static electric loads is grounding by creating a positive charge area to absorb the negative or vice versa or in maybe ionizing the interior air?
Lex Loeb

Portland, OR

#2 Mar 5, 2013
a airfoil made of the carbon fiber composits used in the 787 needs to be put in a wind tunnel to see if there is static electricity building up because of the cabon nature of the material. It may not be the battery read my previous post. The battery just attracts that charge because it has the capacity so no one is noticing static eletric build up. Goes back to that ancient electricity experiment with the glass rod and the cat fur pelt. Carbon fiber is possibly the pefect means of transfering static eletricity to the electrical systems on board. Before blaming the obvious effects in the batteries they need to test carbon fiber composits for the generation and transmission of static electric capacity to metal on board.
MorganAir1

Seattle, WA

#3 Mar 6, 2013
Lex Loeb wrote:
It may not be the properties of the lithium batteries that are entirely to blame. My suspicion is that the carbon fiber composites used in the plane maybe channeling static electricity. Some of the earliest electrical experiments used glass rods and cat fur pelts to generate static electricity. Cat fur is related to carbon fiber because of the carbon in it. The carbon fiber used in the design could be the problem because there can be static electricity build up that is zeroing in on the batteries in the electrical network throughout the plane. This can be tested for and isolated as the cause if it is the cause. People who wear certain kinds of shoes may be experiencing static electric shocks on the rugs in the plane? It if is a static electric problem it is one that can be solved by diverting the charge away from the electrical systems and dissipating it into a static electric capacitor or into the atmosphere. The problem with static electric loads is grounding by creating a positive charge area to absorb the negative or vice versa or in maybe ionizing the interior air?
You are absolutly correct. I look at these batteries every night and one thing doesnt sit well with me. I know its the cause.
Stuart McGregor

Barrow, UK

#4 Mar 7, 2013
MorganAir1 wrote:
<quoted text> You are absolutly correct. I look at these batteries every night and one thing doesnt sit well with me. I know its the cause.
Have either of you guys put this forward as I think you are both spot on here. Carbon Fibre is well known to attract and transmit static. Many passengers on the 787 have commented on static shocks happening very much more than usual. This could be a very simple fix if it was proven. I work in the science area in the Uk and I am convinced that there is nothing wrong with the Litihium Batteries. Can you two put this forward to the people in the know in Everret?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 787 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Demand-Driven Manufacturing Keeps ATK Workers i... May '16 June 1
News 100 and counting Apr '16 Jannie Ann 1
News Iran: Boeing offers new aircraft during Tehran ... Apr '16 Jannie Ann 1
News Senate refuses to stop airlines from shrinking ... Apr '16 spud 34
News Boeing S.C. marks milestone with 100th Dreamliner Feb '16 JANE 1
News Airbus: Targeting The Boeing 777X (Jun '15) Jan '16 TCD 3
A win for the 787 Jan '16 TCD 1
More from around the web