Overhead bins get bigger

Mar 5, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Belleville News Democrat

Packed planes and a high volume of carry-ons are forcing airlines to expand the space above passenger's heads.

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Mar 13, 2012
ramprat

Lodi, CA

#1 Mar 5, 2012
Has anybody, any airline, any mechanic ever figured out HOW much weight those overhead bins can handle until there's a hard landing and the whole 'overhead' full of heavy bags, comes crashing down on the passengers heads??????? Think about it the next time you see that oversized bag being lifted up to the overhead. That has to be a LOT of weight up there. ONE OF THESE DAYS. it's going to happen. A real hard landing and then you'll read were passengers were killed or worse, broken necks, paralysed for life.
Brown Sugar Shart

Houston, TX

#2 Mar 5, 2012
Oh I don't care! I will drag EVERY d@mn thingI own on that plane (the entire contents of a double-wide trailer house) and expect EVERY GOD-D@MN flight attendant to put it in the overhead bin as soon as I get on and STOP any and all boarding of the aircraft so they can help me do what I could not do at home, in the parking lot, thru security, or boarding the plane! Git me some water now MAID I gottah take a pill! And tell that smirking a-hole captain up there to stop look'in up my skirt! You airline people are real a-holes 'ya know that!?!?!?

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#3 Mar 6, 2012
ramprat wrote:
Has anybody, any airline, any mechanic ever figured out HOW much weight those overhead bins can handle until there's a hard landing and the whole 'overhead' full of heavy bags, comes crashing down on the passengers heads??????? Think about it the next time you see that oversized bag being lifted up to the overhead. That has to be a LOT of weight up there. ONE OF THESE DAYS. it's going to happen. A real hard landing and then you'll read were passengers were killed or worse, broken necks, paralysed for life.
People will continue to carry more and more stuff on to save $25. The solution is not to carry less, but to make larger bins. This will speed boarding and allowing all this junk to fit. Your concerns are justified, these bins are structural members as are thier latches. There IS a breaking point. But like people who make recall decisions, where does risk reward end. I'll fly 1000's of people rolling the dice no one gets hurt. If they do who pays? The carrier? The manufacturer of the bin? Both parties are no doubt insured. What is sad is that you are correct. Someone will get injured. Hopefully not fatally.
ramprat

Lodi, CA

#4 Mar 6, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>People will continue to carry more and more stuff on to save $25. The solution is not to carry less, but to make larger bins. This will speed boarding and allowing all this junk to fit. Your concerns are justified, these bins are structural members as are thier latches. There IS a breaking point. But like people who make recall decisions, where does risk reward end. I'll fly 1000's of people rolling the dice no one gets hurt. If they do who pays? The carrier? The manufacturer of the bin? Both parties are no doubt insured. What is sad is that you are correct. Someone will get injured. Hopefully not fatally.
Prost'--Remember--Murphy? Ya, Murphys law says that if it can go worong it probably will go wrong. Someday we'll hear about this hapening and THEN the airlines will 'cry', This should NEVER have happened. Must be the fault of the Mechanics or the Flight Attendants or the passengers. WE could NEVER have seen this disaster comming. But, we sure do feel sorry for all those passengers that were hurt. The Lawyers will get rich, the passengers will be hurt or worse, the stockholders will still get their big dividends and the CEO will still get his Golden Parachute and will take no responsibility.
But hope it never happens. Make those overhead binns as big as possible. load them up.
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#5 Mar 12, 2012
BSS, you pack it, you rack it. You got it all the way from the double-wide to the airport, you can put it in the overhead yourself. Water's in the lav. Enjoy your flight.
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#6 Mar 12, 2012
Beef, you should change your call sign to RAW-hide!
MAX design flaw

United States

#7 Mar 12, 2012
It has been increasingly more difficult for flight attendants to squeeze into the bins for napping, photo ops, or to startle fellow crew members, so we interior engineers had to create a solution.

Unfortunately workmen compensation claims have skyrocketed due to workplace accidents with the f/a's slamming their fingers with the new Boeing recessed bin design.

Therefore we have been asked to go back to the drawing board.

737 MAX Engineer
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#8 Mar 13, 2012
@Ramprat, the overhead bins have a weight limit placard. Trouble is, they don't weigh the bags at the gate, and we don't have a scale in the galley.
HINT: If you can't lift your own bag, it's too heavy for the bin -- CHECK IT!

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#9 Mar 13, 2012
Beef Stew wrote:
@Ramprat, the overhead bins have a weight limit placard. Trouble is, they don't weigh the bags at the gate, and we don't have a scale in the galley.
HINT: If you can't lift your own bag, it's too heavy for the bin -- CHECK IT!
Ha Ha good one. You call the Stewardess over to help you. That's why she's there. She helps you find your seat and put your bag away. Then at some point in the flight she brings you a drink. She used to bring food, but now they sell it. Isn't it cute the little dance they do before the flight when they show you how to put on the seat belt, and wave thier arms around. I did find the how to get the seat belt off part really usefull. I always have to pee on planes, they're so bouncy. The preceding was sarcasm. Back to reality, it may amuse you that I purposely put gate checks bags on the claim belt last. Except for strollers. Parents with kids are normal. Overpackers and people who board late and make everyone else late get to wait now too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 767 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crew too drunk for flight Aug 3 OldCapt 8
Hawaiian Airlines increasing capacity for Honol... May '14 Hans 1
Alibaba Groupa s founder saw Interneta s potent... May '14 wichita-rick 6
Teen stowaway: Where was the security? Apr '14 FlyingFirework 7
Teen flies to Hawaii hidden in landing gear Apr '14 Adrian Godsafe MSc 1
Teen OK After Riding In Wheel Well Of Hawaii Jet Apr '14 conservative crapola 5
Ethiopian B763 at Arusha on Dec 18th 2013, fuel... (Dec '13) Dec '13 Bati 10
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••