American orders 460 new planes from Boeing, Airbus

Jul 20, 2011 Full story: KFMB-TV San Diego 7

American Airlines is buying at least 460 new planes over the next five years in what it calls the biggest airline order in history.

Full Story
tulaaretired

Tulsa, OK

#1 Jul 20, 2011
Deja vu, another business decision that will bite them in the butt.
Who can forget Air Cal, TWA, Reno Air, and Sabre.

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#2 Jul 20, 2011
Disregard my previous comments. Incorrect article. But do note the following from my June 29 post. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out AMR was using the Crandall deck of cards for this decision.

June 29: Appears to be a two-month-old article but the negotiating ploy is one that Bob Crandall used years ago when I believe it was also with Boeing or McDonnell Douglas and Airbus as well. According to rumors, he had them at AMR Headquarters down the hall from each other and shuttled back and forth to get the best deal, subsequently purchasing aircraft from both of them. Now if his management team could get the rest of their act together and run the corporation like Crandall did it's quite possible, if not too late, that the airline could be a leader again and shed its loser image.

RWG and Prost, just think that these new guys at AMR are getting paid the big bucks and all they did was open up the Crandall book, "How to Run Airline" for Dummies.

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#3 Jul 20, 2011
My apologies to Mr. Arpey. I have ridiculed his decisions for several years. He has blamed fuel prices for the need to buy more efficient aircraft. That would be correct, since none of his labor force has had a raise in over 5 years, that is not to blame. Also on the same day AMR lost 268 million, another quaterly loss, he has convinced Airbus AND Boeing, or at the very least a finance company he will have money for planes. If you buy a car and the bank repos it, they will find a buyer very fast. Planes not so much, better to let them fly in default and get something than rot in a desert. You sir are a true capitalist. Your lifestyle remains unchanged, and the business grows as you screw over everyone else and have a good excuse to explain why

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#4 Jul 21, 2011
Prost,

What excuse will they use for losing money after they buy all these fuel efficient aircraft? Bad management? No, the monkey will be on labors back again!
RWG

Dillsboro, IN

#5 Jul 22, 2011
To; tulsaretired.
First off, I never said that Arpey read Mr. Crandall's version of " How to run an Airline for Dummies" because I don't think he or his minions are even smart enough to read.
I do know this though, if Mr. Crandall was running the company, it would not be in the shape it is now.
RWG

Dillsboro, IN

#6 Jul 22, 2011
P.S. CONGRADULATIONS ARPEY AND THE OTHER MANAGEMENT BOOBS AROUND YOU!
I SEE YOUR ENLIGHTENED LEADERSHIP AND AIRLINE MANAGEMENT PROWESS HAS LED TO A $286,000,000 LOSS FOR THE AIRLINE YOU RUN THIS PAST QUARTER. NOT FOR THE YEAR, THE QUARTER!
GOOD JOB! RAISES, RETENTION BONUS'S AND RETIREMENT PROTECTION FOR ALL MANAGEMENT TYPES! YOU GUYS DESERVE IT !

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#7 Jul 22, 2011
RWG wrote:
P.S. CONGRADULATIONS ARPEY AND THE OTHER MANAGEMENT BOOBS AROUND YOU!
I SEE YOUR ENLIGHTENED LEADERSHIP AND AIRLINE MANAGEMENT PROWESS HAS LED TO A $286,000,000 LOSS FOR THE AIRLINE YOU RUN THIS PAST QUARTER. NOT FOR THE YEAR, THE QUARTER!
GOOD JOB! RAISES, RETENTION BONUS'S AND RETIREMENT PROTECTION FOR ALL MANAGEMENT TYPES! YOU GUYS DESERVE IT !
I agree MR ARpey is brilliant. On the same day you tell the world you once again lost money you have convinced Boeing, Airbus, and a finance company they could afford 460 planes. I put that on a par with selling ice cubes to an Eskimo, or sand to an Arab. Of course the loss came due to gas, and the new fuel efficient planes are due in .......2017..... I give.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 737 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Southwest B733 at Rochester on Aug 31st 2014, f... Sep 9 RFCBF 1
Chinese Fighter Buzzing U.S. Navy Reconnaissanc... Aug 26 Cnn sucks 1
China defends intercepting US Navy plane Aug 25 shakey 7
Ryanair B738 at Bremen on Aug 21st 2014, flaps ... Aug 24 Urlauber 1
Boeing breaks ground on wing factory for new 777X Aug '14 Le Jimbo 10
Shares of Malaysia Airline Jump on Takeover Offer Aug '14 IMASE 2
A grim reality behind the stellar rankings? Tur... Jul '14 Dander 3
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••