Why Southwest's First Boeing 737-800 Is Kind of a Big Deal [with Photos]

Apr 14, 2012 Full story: www.nycaviation.com 9
When compared to its newer, larger, longer-range siblings, Boeing’s 737-800 might not be the sexiest airliner in the skies. But when the world’s largest 737 operator added them to its fleet this week, the aviation world was paying attention. Full Story
Airline enthusiast

United States

#1 Apr 15, 2012
This is not a big deal, alot of airlines airlines have been flying this type of aircraft for many years now...Southwest is late to the game on this one....big deal

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#2 Apr 15, 2012
Airline enthusiast wrote:
This is not a big deal, alot of airlines airlines have been flying this type of aircraft for many years now...Southwest is late to the game on this one....big deal
Are you kidding, it's huge. That trip you booked on SW from SAN to BWI you can now take and not stop 3 times.(sarcasm)
Really

Phoenix, AZ

#3 Apr 15, 2012
Prost has that bankruptcy working for ya????

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#4 Apr 15, 2012
Not a big deal! REALLY!

Well simply put it this way. Southwest has been land locked since its inception and has basically abandoned its business model awhile ago. It has expanded its service into the major airports to broaden its market and demographic (Business Travelers), it has swooped into markets where some of the major and other weak carriers were faltering in and ignoring expansion, it acquired another carrier to gain access to airports/gates it couldn't acquire on its own (ATL), and now has aircraft that are ETOPS rated..........Over-water!!!

Doesn't appear that they are landlocked any longer. Here comes the Caribbean, Hawaii, and South America. Could Europe be next, maybe with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic and joint carrier agreements with him to challenge SkyTeam and OneWorld.

I wish I had access to earlier comments that I had made on this Forum and you would have read where I saw this happening in my Crystal Ball.

As you see I did work under the leadership of one Mr. Bob Crandall, when you could read into his psyche you can predict why things were done the way they were and I am quite sure his Crystal Ball was on the same channel as mine and he too saw this Southwest business model evolving as well.

He didn't sit still waiting for things to happen, he made them happen. Too bad he isn't at the helm of AA now because as the sailor that he is, he would have avoided the devastating storm we're experiencing now. The Southwest expansion would have been slowed down as Mr. Crandall would have reigned in the AA costs by STRONGER negotiations or bankruptcy much earlier in the game, not in late 2011 attempting to become a very strong competitor. Southwest and the other major carriers have gained too much traction and AA is stuck in the mud still spinning its wheels. It will take a big tow truck to get them out of the quagmire they're in now.

It's no secret that DFW has been a chronic toothache to Southwest for the longest time and has been in its sights for years. If they come into this market you may as well kiss AA goodbye for good regardless of its status as a standalone or merged airline. And by the way, checkout AirTran's Florida routes. Big challenge to AA's MIA Hub in the future as well.

As the gag-line in the old TV show Laugh-In,'Verrry Interesting'(but not very stupid).

Since: May 08

Santee CA

#5 Apr 16, 2012
Really wrote:
Prost has that bankruptcy working for ya????
Assuming you are with SW, 20 years ago I was sitting where you are. You've already broken from Herbs business model. You're a few poor managierial choices away from being in the same place. I hope you are old enough to jump ship WHEN it happens. For now gloat as much as you want, life is fun at the top. I know I was there once too. P.S. Thanks for your concern.. I saw it coing and had a plan B started
Airline enthusiast

United States

#6 Apr 17, 2012
Prost wrote:
<quoted text>Are you kidding, it's huge. That trip you booked on SW from SAN to BWI you can now take and not stop 3 times.(sarcasm)
I don't fly southwest....the airline I fly has had this type of plane for many many years now....as I have said. Southwest is making this out to be like its a brand new airplane that was just built...again its been around many years
Airline enthusiast

United States

#7 Apr 17, 2012
tulaaretired wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a big deal! REALLY!
Well simply put it this way. Southwest has been land locked since its inception and has basically abandoned its business model awhile ago. It has expanded its service into the major airports to broaden its market and demographic (Business Travelers), it has swooped into markets where some of the major and other weak carriers were faltering in and ignoring expansion, it acquirer another carrier to gain access to airports/gates it couldn't acquire on its own (ATL), and now has aircraft that are ETOPS rated..........Over-water!!!
Doesn't appear that they are landlocked any longer. Here comes the Caribbean, Hawaii, and South America. Could Europe be next, maybe with Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic and joint carrier agreements with him to challenge SkyTeam and OneWorld.
I wish I had access to earlier comments that I had made on this Forum and you would have read where I saw this happening in my Crystal Ball.
As you see I did work under the leadership of one Mr. Bob Crandall, when you could read into his psyche you can predict why things were done the way they were and I am quite sure his Crystal Ball was on the same channel as mine and he too saw this Southwest business model evolving as well.
He didn't sit still waiting for things to happen, he made them happen. Too bad he isn't at the helm of AA now because as the sailor that he is, he would have avoided the devastating storm we're experiencing now. The Southwest expansion would have been slowed down as Mr. Crandall would have reigned in the AA costs by STRONGER negotiations or bankruptcy much earlier in the game, not in late 2011 attempting to become a very strong competitor. Southwest and the other major carriers have gained too much traction and AA is stuck in the mud still spinning its wheels. It will take a big tow truck to get them out of the quagmire they're in now.
It's no secret that DFW has been a chronic toothache to Southwest for the longest time and has been in its sights for years. If they come into this market you may as well kiss AA goodbye for good regardless of its status as a standalone or merged airline. And by the way, checkout AirTran's Florida routes. Big challenge to AA's MIA Hub in the future as well.
As the gag-line in the old TV show Laugh-In,'Verrry Interesting'(but not very stupid).
Yeah how its Mr. Crandels ex airline doing now....now they havemerged with another airline and now have become much larger. They will not be able to operate as the same discount airline as they keep getting bigger, and there have already been articles written about this. You can find cheaper fares online than ones Southwest offers on some flights. Bigger airline higher costs....that tyoe of plane had been out for many many years...its not Big deal..Southwest was late to the game in getting that type of plane period

Since: Apr 08

Tulsa, OK

#8 Apr 17, 2012
<quoted text>
Yeah how its Mr. Crandels ex airline doing now....now they havemerged with another airline and now have become much larger. They will not be able to operate as the same discount airline as they keep getting bigger, and there have already been articles written about this. You can find cheaper fares online than ones Southwest offers on some flights. Bigger airline higher costs....that tyoe of plane had been out for many many years...its not Big deal..Southwest was late to the game in getting that type of plane period
Airline enthusiast,,,,,,,

What kind of medication are you on?

Bob Crandall, not Crandel, never was affiliated with Southwest! Are your comments for real or are you trying to pull the wool over our eyes? Yes, your other facts have some credence as was previously posted by Prost and myself. The Southwest business model has definitely changed and now they're in the big kids sandbox.

If your comments are serious then you have no clue and you may want to use another name..........Airline rookie or Airline Wannabe.
Cause it busts IAH hub

United States

#9 Apr 18, 2012
That is why it is a big deal.
HOU will never replace IAH but it will sure put a lot of pain upon yields for UA on any routes that the 737-800 has the range for.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 737 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Argentinean Airlines to start flights to Cuba, ... Oct 10 WE JUST DONT CARE 16
Aeromexico Passengers Evacuated After LAX Tire ... Oct 7 Sirius 5
WestJet Flight To Canada Returns To McCarran Ai... Sep '14 Hate Travelling 1
WestJet flight to Victoria from Las Vegas makes... Sep '14 Hate Travelling 1
Southwest B733 at Rochester on Aug 31st 2014, f... Sep '14 RFCBF 1
Chinese Fighter Buzzing U.S. Navy Reconnaissanc... Aug '14 Cnn sucks 1
China defends intercepting US Navy plane Aug '14 shakey 7

Boeing 737 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE