Continental cancels 6 flights on pilot sickout

Jul 28, 2011 Full story: Detroit News 14

United Continental Holdings Inc.'s Continental Airlines unit canceled six more flights today, on top of 24 yesterday, because of pilots who said they were too ill to work.

Full Story
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#1 Aug 3, 2011
Too ill or too 'fatigued' from overwork, lack of rest due to irregular operations, or not being able to commute in a timely manner?
Brown Sugar

Irving, TX

#2 Aug 4, 2011
I say FIRE them all and start over with new fresh pilots who want to work. There are enough of them out there that need jobs! This UNION crap is OUT OF HAND and RIDICULOUS!
captjoe

Mckinney, TX

#3 Aug 4, 2011
Brown Sugar wrote:
I say FIRE them all and start over with new fresh pilots who want to work. There are enough of them out there that need jobs! This UNION crap is OUT OF HAND and RIDICULOUS!
Fire them all huh? And what elementary school did you graduate? Or did you?
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#4 Aug 4, 2011
Brown Sugar wrote:
I'm a lukewarm union member and I will admit that a certain amount of "crap" occurs, but is this REALLY the cause of all of the world's problems? How about the supposed Captains of Industry and Finance who have stripped workers of benefits, shipped jobs overseas, forced consumers to accept lousy service, poor products and high surcharges on everything from suitcases to checking accounts? All the while these same folks are lining their pockets with zillions of dollars in profits and stock options while they suck this country dry.

The average CEO salary in the Fortune 500 is now over $9 million/year. In 1978 the average CEO made about 35 times the salary of his lowest paid employee. Today it stands at 427 times. It always amazes me that the top 1% who have the money to buy off whole political parties (Thank you, Supreme Court), manage to convince poor schmucks like you in bumf**k, TX to vote in THEIR interests and not your own.
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#5 Aug 4, 2011
Oh, My Bad. I try to keep the discourse at a slightly higher level than AWUP and others, so please white-out TX comments. Some of my best friends are from TX. They have good bar-b-que and pretty girls, etc. etc.
captjoe

Mckinney, TX

#6 Aug 4, 2011
OldCapt wrote:
Oh, My Bad. I try to keep the discourse at a slightly higher level than AWUP and others, so please white-out TX comments. Some of my best friends are from TX. They have good bar-b-que and pretty girls, etc. etc.
Lewisville is in bf Texas and I am a native Texan,bbq judge and cook and dating a very pretty cardiologist.
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#7 Aug 4, 2011
captjoe wrote:
<quoted text>Lewisville is in bf Texas and I am a native Texan,bbq judge and cook and dating a very pretty cardiologist.
HA!
Beef Stew

Spring, TX

#8 Aug 6, 2011
Brown Sugar wrote:
Your "solution" is rooted in naivete and ill-concieved. If there's a shortage of pilots causing the cancellations, what good will it do to fire a few competent, experienced pilots? You can't get those from ITT Technical!

Scheduling crews for thousands of flights every day while abiding by FAA rest requirements and union contracts is a nightmare that even a CRAY supercomputer couldn't handle.
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#9 Aug 8, 2011
Hate to tell you Beef, but yes, you can get a pilot's license from ITT Tech. They bought a well known flight school a couple of years ago.
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#10 Aug 8, 2011
To be specific they bought the New England Aeronautical Institute which was formerly part of Daniel Webster College.
Beef Stew

Houston, TX

#11 Aug 9, 2011
Sorry, Cap, I was making a rhetorical statement. It's along the same lines as when there's a mechanical delay and people tell us to "just get another airplane!" Um, where would you suggest...Hertz? Avis?
JEFF SMISEK

Belmar, NJ

#12 Aug 9, 2011
I SUCK C@CK LIKE A PRO
I GIVE GREAT HEAD
I'M HUNG LIKE A HORSE
I HAVE A BIG MUSHROOM HEAD
- JEFF
Farnorth

Lakewood, WA

#13 Aug 9, 2011
JEFF SMISEK wrote:
I SUCK C@CK LIKE A PRO
I GIVE GREAT HEAD
I'M HUNG LIKE A HORSE
I HAVE A BIG MUSHROOM HEAD
- JEFF
Hmmm...so, that's why you had to call in sick?
OldCapt

Denver, CO

#14 Aug 10, 2011
Beef Stew wrote:
Sorry, Cap, I was making a rhetorical statement. It's along the same lines as when there's a mechanical delay and people tell us to "just get another airplane!" Um, where would you suggest...Hertz? Avis?
No prob. Just showing off my prowess at Airline Trivial Pursuit. Sometimes I win a beer.

Also, like I said before, at $50-100 Million a copy, they don't keep that many spares around.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boeing 737 Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Argentinean Airlines to start flights to Cuba, ... Oct 10 WE JUST DONT CARE 16
Aeromexico Passengers Evacuated After LAX Tire ... Oct 7 Sirius 5
WestJet Flight To Canada Returns To McCarran Ai... Sep 26 Hate Travelling 1
WestJet flight to Victoria from Las Vegas makes... Sep 26 Hate Travelling 1
Southwest B733 at Rochester on Aug 31st 2014, f... Sep '14 RFCBF 1
Chinese Fighter Buzzing U.S. Navy Reconnaissanc... Aug '14 Cnn sucks 1
China defends intercepting US Navy plane Aug '14 shakey 7

Boeing 737 People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE