Emirates CEO sees room for more US destinations

May 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Modesto Bee

Sheik Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum holds several government positions in the Gulf city-state, and is an uncle of Dubai's ruler.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Jul 5, 2012
JetBlast

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2012

Judged:

Emirates is owned by the ultra deep-pockets Dubai government that thrives on $100+ for a barrel of oil. Additionally, they benefit from more favorable financing tools that US or European carriers. Not sure what aviation fuel costs them but the auto gas is $1.70/gal.

Emirates pays their ground staff a fraction of what other carriers have to pay their workers and unions are outlawed in the UAE. They've got a monopoly on a majority of their routes as they're located in a part of the world that has very little room for competition and their fares reflect it.

While the rest of the plant was reeling under a bad econmy and super-high fuel prices Dubai was in a position to exploit their advantages...no personal taxes, inexpensive labor force and governent-backed/no risk government funding.

Check back on Emirates in a year when they've completely overscheduled DXB airport and their delays rival PHL or EWR on a bad day.
Angry White United Pilot

Culver City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

Judged:

Yeah; but they also have young white woman as flight attendants, offer luxury that only a US Airline could only dream of, and still they fill there airplanes with passengers who are willing to pay $14,250 for a round trip first class ticket, and $9500. for a business class seat.

Meanwhile US airlines treat customers like crap, no food, bad attitudes, and charging for bags.

No wonder the US Airline industry is on its death kneel.
Hugh Jampton

Bowmanville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2012

Cannot but agree with the last comment. I was due to fly on a 767 from San Fran to Hawaii last summer. The plane was so old one of the doors fell off. Good luck to the USAF and their "new" 767's.

P.S. Why is everyone who works for Boeing called Randy. Is it their name or nature?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••