Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvi...

Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?

There are 7209 comments on the Associated Content story from Jul 8, 2009, titled Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, the Beatles?. In it, Associated Content reports that:

Who's the king of the three leading major players of the past half century? That is a tough one to decide, but one must consider carefully the accomplishments and the styles in order to make a conclusion.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Associated Content.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#7296 Jan 25, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you laugh when GV claimed King E likes red neck music?
Then she posted a link of Elvis doing the 'red necked' "Faded Love" ?
You never said it but you implied it.
It is an obnoxious attitude towards Elvis that is false.
It implies that beat driven pop and dance is superior to country.
And Elvis hated Nashville and always lived in Memphis.
Memphis was and still is mostly populated with black people.
I don't know..sorry can't remember...

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#7297 Jan 25, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis did a rock version of "Faded Love" as an studio outtake.
I have it and the guitar sounds like arena seventies rock.
Obviously, Elvis wasn't satisfied with that version but it's good.
The country version is still can't be classified as red neck.
Besides, you praised "For The Good Times" as long as MJ sung it.
The new import CD from MSG 6-9-72 has an excellent Elvis version.
Some more redneck music by Elvis recorded with Sun Records.

Location hidden

#7298 Jan 25, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Without country, we wouldn't have rock or pop ... and therefore no Wacko.
Ignorant trollope.
Without the Blues there would never had been Rock and Roll.

Folk music developed into Country music.
Patrick

Bronx, NY

#7299 Jan 25, 2013
octo wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time Badvibrations picks on Elvis, you say very little.
You side with her just because she is a Jacko fan like yourself.
However, she never attacks Justin Bieber against Credit Angel.
I notice it is always Elvis that she focuses on.
That is because she knows that Elvis is the biggest legend of all.
It is because most mj fans see elvis as a threat to mj legacy . If you ask the average mj fan they Believe everything al sharpton said at the memorial . They honestly Believe that mj broke every music record ( bs ) when you show proof of the opposite they state overinflated sales or lack of songwriting on the king . I will never forget during the coverage of mj passing . CNN showed a black lady crying about mj .she stated " bigger than elvis " out of the blue . Most mj fans can't Believe above mj bed in Neverland he had a commissioned painting with himself and mj .
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#7300 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point? That has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

Sweet Christ, you're dumb.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#7301 Jan 25, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is because most mj fans see elvis as a threat to mj legacy . If you ask the average mj fan they Believe everything al sharpton said at the memorial . They honestly Believe that mj broke every music record ( bs ) when you show proof of the opposite they state overinflated sales or lack of songwriting on the king . I will never forget during the coverage of mj passing . CNN showed a black lady crying about mj .she stated " bigger than elvis " out of the blue . Most mj fans can't Believe above mj bed in Neverland he had a commissioned painting with himself and mj .
And, ironically, Elvis did more for blacks and their music than Wacko ever did.

But the floons are too dim to understand that.
Patrick

Bronx, NY

#7302 Jan 25, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree king elvis
As little Richard said " elvis was the black messiah , he opened the door for all of us "

Location hidden

#7303 Jan 25, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
What's your point? That has nothing to do with what we were talking about.
Sweet Christ, you're dumb.
No you're the dumb one. You put your big toe in it. That is my point, go and take some lessons in music history to get your facts straight. Bwhahahahah!
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Without country, we wouldn't have rock or pop ... and therefore no Wacko.
[QUOTE who="goodvibrations" ]<quoted text>

Location hidden

#7304 Jan 25, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.

1.) Usher:”He influenced me in so many ways, more than just music…as a humanitarian, as a philanthropist, as an artist, as an individual who transcended culture. I wouldn’t be who I am today without Michael Jackson,” Usher said.“They say if you ever want to be great, you’ve got to study who the greats studied, so, of course, I studied his moves — studied them down to a T. But there was much more to him than that. Really, he created an eclectic style of life and, throughout the years, from his childhood to his adulthood, he managed to continue to be successful, but also to continue to push the limits and push everyone’s expectations.”“I would not be the artist, performer and philanthropist I am today without the influence of Michael.”
2.) Ne-Yo:“Michael Jackson is half the reason I’m even here. If not for Michael and what he did, I wouldn’t be standing here in front of you guys right now. I think I speak for all R&B and pop music when I say that.”
3.) Jason Derulo:”Michael Jackson was my biggest influence, the sole reason I dancing and singing in the first place.”
4.) Justin Timberlake:”I’m lucky enough to have memories — actually, physically — with him onstage and off.”
5.) Madonna:”He was the King who inspired us all…I don’t know what artist wasn’t inspired by him. Everybody grew up in awe of him.”
6.) Chris Brown:”Michael Jackson is the reason why I do music and why I am an entertainer.”“[He] sold twenty-five million albums, so I wanna get to at least twelve. Michael said to me,“being able to dance and sing; that’s rare. Nobody can do it – only you, me and a couple of others. Keep working and dream big. Michael Jackson told me to dream big!”
7.) Lady Gaga:”Michael’s death was devastating for me, regardless of whether or not I was supposed to go on tour with him. He was such an inspiration and a remarkable human being.”
8.) Ciara:“He was part of the reason why [I started singing].Whenever someone asks me who inspires me to do what I do, I always say Michael. That’s it for me. He’s everything to me. He’s really a part of the reason why. He’s going to be remembered in so many ways for me. I feel it’s important for me to continue to let my generation know how important he was to music.”
9.) Shaheen Jafargholi:
“I love Michael Jackson and I tell you now I want to thank him right now for blessing me and every single person on this earth with his amazing music…I love you Michael Jackson.” Jafargholi sang a musical tribute of “Who’s Loving You” on stage at Michael Jackson’s memorial. Before Jackson’s death, Jarafgholi was invited to perform on the “This Is It” tour.
10.) Beyonce:”The incomparable Michael Jackson has made a bigger impact on music than any other artist in the history of music. He was magic. He was what we all strive to be. He will always be the King of Pop!” Beyoncé has dedicated countless songs to Michael Jackson since his death.

The list goes on.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#7305 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
No you're the dumb one. You put your big toe in it. That is my point, go and take some lessons in music history to get your facts straight. Bwhahahahah!
<quoted text>
You described country music as redneck music, you dumb c-nt, we weren't talking about blues.

Location hidden

#7306 Jan 25, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree king elvis
As little Richard said " elvis was the black messiah , he opened the door for all of us "
From the scat-singing prologue of "Tutti-Frutti" to his favorite expression, "Ooh, my soul!," Richard brought a new level of intensityn unlikely pastiche of gospel and sexual innuendoo popular music. A People magazine contributor wrote: "No performer deserves more credit for the metamorphosis of black rhythm and blues into rock 'n' roll." In The Dave Given Rock 'n' Roll Stars Handbook, author Given claims that Richard "gave R&R its meaning, its depth, and in so doing he inspired the careers of other great artists that followed: James Brown, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Joe Tex, just to name a few."

Nor did Richard's influence end with the first generation of rockers. Many groups of the British Invasion, including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, also looked to him as a mentor. According to Jay Cocks in Time, Richard "let blast with rock of such demented power,... that he seemed possessed of darkling forces.... Songs that sounded like nonsense... but whose beat seemed to hint of unearthly pleasures centered somewhere between the gut and the gutter."
Patrick

Bronx, NY

#7307 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
1.) Usher:”He influenced me in so many ways, more than just music…as a humanitarian, as a philanthropist, as an artist, as an individual who transcended culture. I wouldn’t be who I am today without Michael Jackson,” Usher said.“They say if you ever want to be great, you’ve got to study who the greats studied, so, of course, I studied his moves — studied them down to a T. But there was much more to him than that. Really, he created an eclectic style of life and, throughout the years, from his childhood to his adulthood, he managed to continue to be successful, but also to continue to push the limits and push everyone’s expectations.”“I would not be the artist, performer and philanthropist I am today without the influence of Michael.”
2.) Ne-Yo:“Michael Jackson is half the reason I’m even here. If not for Michael and what he did, I wouldn’t be standing here in front of you guys right now. I think I speak for all R&B and pop music when I say that.”
3.) Jason Derulo:”Michael Jackson was my biggest influence, the sole reason I dancing and singing in the first place.”
4.) Justin Timberlake:”I’m lucky enough to have memories — actually, physically — with him onstage and off.”
5.) Madonna:”He was the King who inspired us all…I don’t know what artist wasn’t inspired by him. Everybody grew up in awe of him.”
6.) Chris Brown:”Michael Jackson is the reason why I do music and why I am an entertainer.”“[He] sold twenty-five million albums, so I wanna get to at least twelve. Michael said to me,“being able to dance and sing; that’s rare. Nobody can do it – only you, me and a couple of others. Keep working and dream big. Michael Jackson told me to dream big!”
7.) Lady Gaga:”Michael’s death was devastating for me, regardless of whether or not I was supposed to go on tour with him. He was such an inspiration and a remarkable human being.”
8.) Ciara:“He was part of the reason why [I started singing].Whenever someone asks me who inspires me to do what I do, I always say Michael. That’s it for me. He’s everything to me. He’s really a part of the reason why. He’s going to be remembered in so many ways for me. I feel it’s important for me to continue to let my generation know how important he was to music.”
9.) Shaheen Jafargholi:
“I love Michael Jackson and I tell you now I want to thank him right now for blessing me and every single person on this earth with his amazing music…I love you Michael Jackson.” Jafargholi sang a musical tribute of “Who’s Loving You” on stage at Michael Jackson’s memorial. Before Jackson’s death, Jarafgholi was invited to perform on the “This Is It” tour.
10.) Beyonce:”The incomparable Michael Jackson has made a bigger impact on music than any other artist in the history of music. He was magic. He was what we all strive to be. He will always be the King of Pop!” Beyoncé has dedicated countless songs to Michael Jackson since his death.
The list goes on.
None of those people are in the same league as who elvis inspired
1) all six beatles
2) Madonna ( both mj and elvis )
3) Jackie Wilson
4) James brown
5) bob Dylan
6) led zep
7)rolling stones
8) Phil Spector
9) Barry Gordy jr
10) Barry white
11) Celine dion
12) al green
13) Justin timberlake ( he sings heartbreak hotel)
14) Bruno mars
Etc , etc

Dick Clark who obviously witnessed both
“It’s rare when an artist’s talent can touch an entire generation of people. It’s even rarer when that same influence affects several generations. Elvis made an imprint on the world of pop music unequaled by any other single performer.”
Patrick

Bronx, NY

#7308 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
9.) Shaheen Jafargholi:
The list goes on.
You also don't comprehend what you read either . Elvis opened the door for black music . Elvis was called a white n . Parents , religious groups and entertainers publically hated him . Elvis was so popular that the radio stations that refused to play his music were forced to too compete with the stations that did . The famous phrase " rock and roll has got to go " was said by a dj talking directly about elvis . Elvis had to be filmed only above the race because the general public deemed his moves vulgar . You clearly are ignorant about how rock and roll came about . That is why little Richard called elvis the black messiah ( the kings shear popularity forced radio stations to change there formats . Mj changing the format of MTV pales in comparison . Elvis did more for blacks than mj ever did is correct
Patrick

Bronx, NY

#7309 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
From the scat-singing prologue of "Tutti-Frutti" to his favorite expression, "Ooh, my soul!," Richard brought a new level of intensityn unlikely pastiche of gospel and sexual innuendoo popular music. A People magazine contributor wrote: "No performer deserves more credit for the metamorphosis of black rhythm and blues into rock 'n' roll." In The Dave Given Rock 'n' Roll Stars Handbook, author Given claims that Richard "gave R&R its meaning, its depth, and in so doing he inspired the careers of other great artists that followed: James Brown, Elvis, Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, and Joe Tex, just to name a few."
Nor did Richard's influence end with the first generation of rockers. Many groups of the British Invasion, including the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, also looked to him as a mentor. According to Jay Cocks in Time, Richard "let blast with rock of such demented power,... that he seemed possessed of darkling forces.... Songs that sounded like nonsense... but whose beat seemed to hint of unearthly pleasures centered somewhere between the gut and the gutter."
Your point is ? No one including the king himself said he started or invented rock and roll .

Location hidden

#7310 Jan 25, 2013
Patrick wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point is ? No one including the king himself said he started or invented rock and roll .
He opened the doors for black music. He wrote it, performed it and sang it. He influenced Elvis and all the rest.

That is my point.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#7311 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again.
9.) Shaheen Jafargholi:
The list goes on.
My point is proven; you're just too stupid to realise what I was talking about.

Location hidden

#7312 Jan 25, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
My point is proven; you're just too stupid to realise what I was talking about.
Michael Jackson influenced most of todays black artists, not Elvis. Elvis did not open doors for blacks. They opened doors for themselves through their own creativity and standing up for their rights.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#7313 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Michael Jackson influenced most of todays black artists, not Elvis. Elvis did not open doors for blacks. They opened doors for themselves through their own creativity and standing up for their rights.
I did not say Elvis influenced today's black artists, you moron.

You weren't even alive in 1956, so your credibility in this argument is zero.

Elvis brought blacks and whites together through rock'n'roll.

End of story.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#7314 Jan 25, 2013
goodvibrations wrote:
<quoted text>
Elvis got called names,etc by racist whites and uptight whites in the 50's ! James brown said Elvis taught white America to get down. The whole history of the United States is the white man's view . Im talking about they ran the show~ so in movies, blacks,chinese, mexicans,etc were always played down mostly as servants for wealthy white people. Thats the way it was really -America was a melting pot but the rich white men had all the power and money. Anyway by 1950's white people still had most of the money and the (born in poverty)good looking talented charasmatic Elvis Presley caught the imagination of the people with Heartbreak hotel and became the first the Rock Star!. Elvis sang different types of music not just music blacks were doing. Anyway I think it's finaly not ~just the rich white man's america anymore. Its starting to be all differnt races and genders now with money and power.

Location hidden

#7315 Jan 25, 2013
jim - wrote:
<quoted text>Elvis got called names,etc by racist whites and uptight whites in the 50's ! James brown said Elvis taught white America to get down. The whole history of the United States is the white man's view . Im talking about they ran the show~ so in movies, blacks,chinese, mexicans,etc were always played down mostly as servants for wealthy white people. Thats the way it was really -America was a melting pot but the rich white men had all the power and money. Anyway by 1950's white people still had most of the money and the (born in poverty)good looking talented charasmatic Elvis Presley caught the imagination of the people with Heartbreak hotel and became the first the Rock Star!. Elvis sang different types of music not just music blacks were doing. Anyway I think it's finaly not ~just the rich white man's america anymore. Its starting to be all differnt races and genders now with money and power.
1951 - "Rocket 88," considered the first Rock record, is released.

1952 - Little Richard's first records are released.

1953 - Elvis Presley makes his first (private) recordings.

1954 - Ray Charles forms his own band.

In 1986 these performers were inducted to rock music hall of fame, the first rock stars in america;

Chuck Berry
James Brown
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
Fats Domino
The Everly Brothers
Buddy Holly
Jerry Lee Lewis
Elvis Presley
Little Richard.

Rock music was initially rejected by a then white, rich and poor racist America because it wasn't white music. Six black artists finally received the recognition that was always owed to them, the other four were never discriminated.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Engineer 'has 20 new Jacko songs' Sun Michael Jacksons ... 10
News Valley Memorial For MJ at Presley Estate (Jul '09) Sun Michael Jacksons ... 5
News Nick Gordon Flown by "Some Generous Friends" to... Sun Ruth 1
News Kanye West to get MTV lifetime achievement award Aug 29 Sterkfontein Swar... 1
News CNN guest blasts police for swarming 'Straight ... Aug 28 USA Today 1
News 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! (Dec '08) Aug 26 RICK 12,888
News Darren L. Eastman Launches Universal Expansion ... Aug 25 gary 1
More from around the web