Portrait Gallery exhibit gives hip-hop a good rap

Full story: Baltimore Sun

The National Portrait Gallery in downtown Washington has definitely changed since its reopening in 2006.
Comments
1 - 20 of 41 Comments Last updated Aug 22, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Darryl Harris

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Aug 15, 2008
 
Hello, I am a relative of one of the old school hip hop artists from Baltimore, MD and i think they should be mentiond. Each and every artist help improve Hip Hop. Here are some of the artists.
Khaos & Dba
Numark Crew - Kevin Liles { former executive producer of Def Jam records}, Dj Spinna , Studio Moe, Blackswing.{ this ends the numark Crew list.}
Baby Kodad
Krash Nice
Runaway Slaves
Charm City Crew
Circle of Native Vibes
{ For sources go to Baghat Vinyl .com, Diggers with grattitude. com, or you can look around for some of those artists.}
That MC

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Aug 15, 2008
 
I agree. If you are going to have a Hip Hop museum in our state \ city you should have some of our artists in it.
Dskillz
smitty

Atchison, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Aug 18, 2008
 
what group came out of balitmore and made it nationally? just curious, cause I have never heard of any of those guys and I'm an old school cat from the Bronx.
Dharris

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 2, 2008
 
Kevin Liles and the Numarx crew made it nationally.
Kevin Liles was a former vice president of Def jam and was a MC with the Mumarx Crew
Trivia

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 2, 2008
 
smitty wrote:
what group came out of balitmore and made it nationally? just curious, cause I have never heard of any of those guys and I'm an old school cat from the Bronx.
Kevin Liles made it.
smitty

Atchison, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 3, 2008
 
Trivia wrote:
<quoted text>Kevin Liles made it.
I know who kevin liles is but he isnt an artist. What artist out of B-more has made.
Darryl Harris

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 30, 2008
 
smitty wrote:
<quoted text>
I know who kevin liles is but he isnt an artist. What artist out of B-more has made.
Kenin Liles was a rapper for the Numarx Crew and after that he started working for Def Jam.
smitty

Atchison, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 30, 2008
 
Darryl Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Kenin Liles was a rapper for the Numarx Crew and after that he started working for Def Jam.
yeah but that group wasnt national. He just works for def-jam. I still dont know any group or rappers that were sucessful from balitmore.
Dba

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 30, 2008
 
dru hill, mario, video and movie director Chris Robinson (ATL), and many more people from Baltimore have made it..
smitty

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 3, 2008
 
Dba wrote:
dru hill, mario, video and movie director Chris Robinson (ATL), and many more people from Baltimore have made it..
we are talking about rappers not singers./
Kid Ghost

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Nov 3, 2008
 
smitty wrote:
<quoted text>
we are talking about rappers not singers./
Yo are there any rappers in the house who want to battle
-mAria-

Spring, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Nov 3, 2008
 
some of these people dont know wat dey talkn bout it's alot of people who made it from baltimore hell go google it and best beleive youll find some
Dharris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Nov 22, 2008
 
Labtekwon is from Baltimore
Trife

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Nov 22, 2008
 
Yo What's up
40 years a go { November 20} a dude from Jamaica named Dj Kool Herc threw a party and started hip hop as we knew it. This Dude was throwing parties in South Bronx. So then after a couple years, Grandmaster Flash { who lived on the other side of town} started taking hip hop to the 5 parts of NY.
Then,later {1980 -present} we have our Positive hip hop and our negative. And first it was positive, until The media started pushing all of this negative mess now. But it's like everybody in this rap game has to be hard and all that, that's exactly why { Don't get me wrong, I love hip hop to death} the rap game is how it is now.

Well alright I just wanted to post some history.

Peace :
Kid ghost, Khaos & Dba, and the whole Charm City Crew
Shorty T aka Tiny Tut

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Mar 23, 2009
 
Don't forget the We Rock Crew (aka The Murphy Crew) and The Golden Boys. These might've just been crews that sent their tapes in to Chuck Maxx and WEBB, but they were good.
Anyone here have any tapes of the Charm City Crew, We Rock Crew, or Golden Boys. I can remember some of their raps almost verbatim, but I can't find them anywhere online.
smitty

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Mar 24, 2009
 
Darryl Harris wrote:
<quoted text>
Kenin Liles was a rapper for the Numarx Crew and after that he started working for Def Jam.
like I said he wasnt a rapper.or atleast a known rapper in NYC/NJ.
smitty

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Mar 24, 2009
 
Trife wrote:
Yo What's up
40 years a go { November 20} a dude from Jamaica named Dj Kool Herc threw a party and started hip hop as we knew it. This Dude was throwing parties in South Bronx. So then after a couple years, Grandmaster Flash { who lived on the other side of town} started taking hip hop to the 5 parts of NY.
Then,later {1980 -present} we have our Positive hip hop and our negative. And first it was positive, until The media started pushing all of this negative mess now. But it's like everybody in this rap game has to be hard and all that, that's exactly why { Don't get me wrong, I love hip hop to death} the rap game is how it is now.
Well alright I just wanted to post some history.
Peace :
Kid ghost, Khaos & Dba, and the whole Charm City Crew
thats a very idealistic view of what went down but it wasnt like that. I am from the BX,(Grand concourse) hip-hop was a gradual thing. Sure Herc was doing parties at the Hevalo but it didnt all start there.
Narwaniec

Kraków, Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Mar 30, 2009
 

“Life Sucks. ”

Since: Mar 08

Savannah Ga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Mar 30, 2009
 
smitty wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah but that group wasnt national. He just works for def-jam. I still dont know any group or rappers that were sucessful from balitmore.
damn dog stfu geez admit it you got schooled.

“Life Sucks. ”

Since: Mar 08

Savannah Ga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Mar 30, 2009
 
Kid Ghost wrote:
<quoted text>
Yo are there any rappers in the house who want to battle
yo lets do it. U first.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New Child Sex Abuse Claims Filed Against Michae... 1 hr An NFL Fan 164
Is Michael Jackson Really A Child Molester? 2 hr Forever Loving Mi... 131
Prince Jackson covers sweat-soaked hair with a ... 5 hr goodvibrations 100
La Toya Jackson shock interview on The Talk, Je... (May '13) 5 hr goodvibrations 29
Debbie Rowe and fiance Marc Schaffel fly into B... 15 hr goodvibrations 1
Women dish on their most embarrassing wardrobe ... (Sep '13) Wed Kelly DJ 278
Jackson lived in filth, urinated on the floor -... Wed TripleH1976 95
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
Woodbridge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Black Entertainment People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••