150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12902 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Victor Abreu Miami Beach

Miami Beach, FL

#12786 Oct 8, 2013
Hey Rick!! You forgot to add of all time, as in
THE GREATEST ENTERTAINER OF ALL TIME !!

PEACE OUT !!
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12787 Oct 9, 2013
Elvis should not only be called The Greatest Entertainer of All Time,Victor,he's the greatest STAR of all time,no other so called `star' even comes CLOSE to this man,DEAD OR ALIVE,and that's why the 60's counterculture influenced media [and people like BILLBOARD'S Fred `BRAINDEAD'Bronson]hate him so much,because his success surpasses their precious Beatles,so what do they do,they try to diminish his great accomplishments[like Alan Hanson,a 60's counterculture jerk who theory about `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'is absolute bullcrap,I'll have something to say about that in my next post,and the RIAA and IFIP,WHO HAVE DONE A NOT SO MASTERFUL JOB IN BURYING HIS TRUE RECORD SALES,and other 60's counterculture jerks[like Jann Wenner of ROLLING STONE]the media is against him,but they've LOST the battle against Elvis,and the reason is the public was born with a healthy pair of ears,and can hear the brilliance of this man's VOICE,and the public absolutely LOVES this man because of it and other factors as well,peace out
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12788 Oct 9, 2013
And to the subject of Alan Hanson's bogus theory about `ALOHA FROM HAWAII',Elvis 1973 worldwide concert telecast that WAS seen by about 1.5 billion people.Here's what Mr.Hanson didn't count on;no.1,there were more than three billion people in the world in 1973,and television sets were a staple of most of these people's lives in 1973,no.2,television was still FAMILY FRIENDLY in 1973,and families of 4,5 or more people would make it a ritual of watching ONE tv set to watch primetime tv shows TOGETHER 1 or 2,sometimes 3 or 4 times a week,AS MY FAMILY DID.I have my parents,a brother and a sister and I and my family watched `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'TOGETHER THE NIGHT IT DEBUTED ON NBC ON EVENING OF APRIL 4,1973.So Mr.Hanson this TV show reaching a billion viewers was in fact a REALITY,SO PUT THAT IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT,peace out.
Maurice P Colgan

Chilliwack, Canada

#12789 Oct 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
And to the subject of Alan Hanson's bogus theory about `ALOHA FROM HAWAII',Elvis 1973 worldwide concert telecast that WAS seen by about 1.5 billion people.Here's what Mr.Hanson didn't count on;no.1,there were more than three billion people in the world in 1973,and television sets were a staple of most of these people's lives in 1973,no.2,television was still FAMILY FRIENDLY in 1973,and families of 4,5 or more people would make it a ritual of watching ONE tv set to watch primetime tv shows TOGETHER 1 or 2,sometimes 3 or 4 times a week,AS MY FAMILY DID.I have my parents,a brother and a sister and I and my family watched `ALOHA FROM HAWAII'TOGETHER THE NIGHT IT DEBUTED ON NBC ON EVENING OF APRIL 4,1973.So Mr.Hanson this TV show reaching a billion viewers was in fact a REALITY,SO PUT THAT IN YOUR BONG AND SMOKE IT,peace out.
You really do need to get a life Rick.
FOREVER MICHAEL

UK

#12790 Oct 9, 2013
Should this be on the ELVIS forum.
Can Elvis dance,can Elvis sing and dance at the same time? Can Elvis write his own records.
Can Elvis produce? Can Elvis film make.

Michael Jackson the person, who cared about people.Michael changed the world.and made the world a better place.healed the world so many time over.raised Millions for his heal the world foundation..and helped so many other charitys.

Michael is the most sweetest caring kind and polite..wonderful..just an Incredible man.

Michael is the hero and Inspiration. The super talented genius.singer,dancer ,song writer,producer,and film maker.and so much more
Theres one and only king,and thats Michael Jackson

Michael Jackson we Love you BABE

“at yet more f'loonspin”

Since: Aug 11

I live far away from f'loons

#12792 Oct 9, 2013
FOREVER MICHAEL wrote:
Should this be on the ELVIS forum.
Can Elvis dance,can Elvis sing and dance at the same time? Can Elvis write his own records.
Can Elvis produce? Can Elvis film make.
Michael Jackson the person, who cared about people.Michael changed the world.and made the world a better place.healed the world so many time over.raised Millions for his heal the world foundation..and helped so many other charitys.
Michael is the most sweetest caring kind and polite..wonderful..just an Incredible man.
Michael is the hero and Inspiration. The super talented genius.singer,dancer ,song writer,producer,and film maker.and so much more
Theres one and only king,and thats Michael Jackson
Michael Jackson we Love you BABE
Go back to your f'loon sites. This is a discussion of great music and an exchange of information, for available recordings.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12793 Oct 9, 2013
Hey,Maurice,I DO have a life,I have a wife,a job,bills and all the good and not so good things that encompass having`a life',so choke on some Canadian bacon,and put mayonaise on all your food,even your cereal,as all Canadians are purported to enjoy doing,SEE `YA.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12794 Oct 9, 2013
And I saw Paul Mccartney on Jimmy Fallon theother night,and I have to say that wussbox fallon and Mccartney should have gone to a motel together and officially consummated the relationship after the show,I think Fallon reached an orgasm during the interview,I believe,peace out.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#12795 Oct 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
And to the subject of Alan Hanson's bogus theory about `ALOHA FROM HAWAII',Elvis 1973 worldwide concert telecast that WAS seen by about 1.5 billion people ...
Oh, Rick, for God's sake, not even you could fall for The Colonel's rhetoric re Aloha!

The only time the billion figure was mentioned was by The Colonel in 1972 when he said the show had a POTENTIAL viewership of over a billion.

Later, this figure was NEVER proven, not by any ratings figures, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

Firstly, the population in 1973 was 3,941,550,996
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population...
andmost of the world didn't have a TV then.

Secondly, here below is a repeat of what I posted on the matter - four years ago, well before Alan - to another fan. All of the figures listed below can be confirmed with a few clicks.

Just because EPE says something doesn't make it so. Use your head and your logic. The figures for the magic Aloha billion simply don't add up. Read ALL of this, Rick, an do the math.

Never let facts get in the way of a good story, eh?

King Elvis

"Here you go ...

Firstly, it was nowhere near 40 countries that saw the show live.

Secondly, the entire world population in 1973 was 3.8 billion or so. So, if one billion watched Aloha, that means one quarter of the world's population saw it. This is pure nonsense.

So, let's assume there were one billion citizens in the countries that saw Aloha in '73 (which of course there wereen't). You'd still need a) each person to have access to a TV and b) every TV to be tuned in to Aloha for that magic one billion figure.

I am a huge Elvis fan, for 40 years now. I always give credit where it's due.

But the idea that over a billion watched Aloha in '73 is a) nonsense and b) mathematically and geometrically IMPOSSIBLE.

Some stats: all figures are from 1973.

US population: 211 million. Now, we now that not every TV was tuned in for Aloha; let's give a very generous 50%- that takes potential viewers down to 105 million or so.

AUSTRALIA: 13 million. Only Sydney and Melbourne took it live, so that's just 2 million left. Again, let's give a generous 50% viewership for Aloha - so that's down to 1 million. And I know the figures for Oz weren't anywhere near 50%.

JAPAN: 108 million. It's said that 75% of the population watched Aloha. So that means 81 million watched.

See where I'm going with this?

EUROPE: Too many countries to list. Obviously, not every country took Aloha. But for this argument, let's say they did. Total 1973 population was roughly 415 million.

Note: Europe has always roughly had 11% of the world's population. This stat even holds true today.

So, let's add these figures shall we?

211 million +
13 million +
108 million +
415 million

= 747 million.

Heck, let's round it up to 800 million.

Heck, I'll even throw in ALL of Australia for you. So that's 813 million.

And coz I'm a nice guy, I'll even presume every single TV was tuned in to Aloha ... so maybe even add another few million just to be safe.

So - and with exaggerations and many long bows drawn - it's still only just over 800 million. Even if every TV in the US watched Aloha, it's still not even close.

NOT a billion, and certainly not 1.5 billion.

And if you take the US out, because they never saw it live, then you're left with roughly 600 million who may have seen Aloha live.

Hey, I'll even throw you another 100 million Aloha viewers for your trouble.

See? STILL not a billion.

Not even a US billion (1000 million) and definitely not an English billion (one million million).

All this, of course, means more people watched the Moon Landing than Aloha; something EPE likes to reverse when describing this wonderful event.

These facts are indesputable and can be found if one looks.

One again: ALOHA FROM HAWAII WAS NOT VIEWED BY ONE BILLION PEOPLE WHEN IT AIRED IN 1973."

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

#12796 Oct 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
ROLLING STONE]the media is against him
Guess that's why Rolling Stone left Elvis' Tupelo home, Sun Studios and Graceland off this week's Rock Landmarks list they published.

Oh wait ... they didn't.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/landmarks

Guess that's why Elvis isn't on RS's list of 100 Greatest Of All Time.

Oh wait, he is.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-g...

Guess that's why Elvis never got any mentions in RS's 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time.

Oh wait, he did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/500-g...

Guess that's why didn't call Elvis "one of the most important cultural forces in history"; guess that's why they didn't say " Presley’s image and influence remain undiminished. While certainly other artists preceded him to the alter of rock & roll, he is indisputably The King"; guess that's why they didn't say "As a recording artist, Presley’s accomplishments are unparalleled" ...

Oh wait, they did.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/artists/elv...

Face it, Rickster, your claims of a counterculture bias against Ekvis are quite unfounded.

King Elvis.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12797 Oct 9, 2013
To Observer Rules; I am very very happy to see my friend "The Real King Elvis" participate in this forum once again. As always, well armed with factual facts and figures. To an extent I believe both you and Rick are correct in the validity of your statements. I remember 1973 as the year I discovered Elvis on the Aloha show. I was waiting for my favorite television program, that being
"Hawaii Five-o. Needless to say, the program had been postponed due to the airing of the Aloha concert. It seems that the day after the concert, all my teachers and people everywhere had viewed this phenomenal extravaganza. Whether a billion people watched it or not it seems everyone I talked to at the time seemed to have viewed it. Nevertheless it was truly a monumental event from the most Iconic entertainer of all time. Peace out Gentlemen!!

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

#12798 Oct 9, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To Observer Rules; I am very very happy to see my friend "The Real King Elvis" participate in this forum once again. As always, well armed with factual facts and figures. To an extent I believe both you and Rick are correct in the validity of your statements. I remember 1973 as the year I discovered Elvis on the Aloha show. I was waiting for my favorite television program, that being
"Hawaii Five-o. Needless to say, the program had been postponed due to the airing of the Aloha concert. It seems that the day after the concert, all my teachers and people everywhere had viewed this phenomenal extravaganza. Whether a billion people watched it or not it seems everyone I talked to at the time seemed to have viewed it. Nevertheless it was truly a monumental event from the most Iconic entertainer of all time. Peace out Gentlemen!!
Hawaii Five-O was one of my favourite shows as well. I recently downloaded the soundtrack to the original series, that theme song was so cool. Still is.

I was lucky enough to see it live on the night when I was five and a half: in black and white, as Australia didn't get colour TV until 1975.

Hawaii Five-0 wouldn't have been postponed for Aloha though.

From September 1971 to February 1974, it ran in the US on Tuesday nights at 8pm on CBS. Aloha was telecast on NBC, on Wednesday night April 4, 1973.

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

#12799 Oct 9, 2013
"I was lucky enough to see it live on the night" - Aloha I mean.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12800 Oct 9, 2013
RICK wrote:
And I saw Paul Mccartney on Jimmy Fallon theother night,and I have to say that wussbox fallon and Mccartney should have gone to a motel together and officially consummated the relationship after the show,I think Fallon reached an orgasm during the interview,I believe,peace out.
What I could veiw from the show was pretty funny actually. They wouldn't allow the live performance though. I did go to You Tube and was able to hear a new track called, "Save Us" which was a loud song in presentation but it still doesn't do anything for me. The album comes out on October 15th. It will interesting how well it does but in my opinion, McCartney is just too old. You can hear it in his speaking voice that his voice is shot to hell. Ugly album cover. Of course, Jimmy Fallon was going to be pleasant to Paul. It wasn't a bad interview.
Octopus

Albany, NY

#12801 Oct 9, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Hawaii Five-O was one of my favourite shows as well. I recently downloaded the soundtrack to the original series, that theme song was so cool. Still is.
I was lucky enough to see it live on the night when I was five and a half: in black and white, as Australia didn't get colour TV until 1975.
Hawaii Five-0 wouldn't have been postponed for Aloha though.
From September 1971 to February 1974, it ran in the US on Tuesday nights at 8pm on CBS. Aloha was telecast on NBC, on Wednesday night April 4, 1973.
My favorite shows as a kid in the seventies were "The Rockford Files" and "The Six Million Dollar Man" I do not think I even watched "Hawaii Five-0" I do not remember watching "Aloha" live but I did hear about it. I have an older boot called, "I'd Like You To Meet Jack Lord" Las Vegas 2-10-73 MS.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#12802 Oct 9, 2013
To King Elvis : I'll take your word for it. You have an incredible memory. I know I was up waiting on one of my favorite shows, it may have been something else. Nevertheless they sure don't make shows like that anymore. Do You remember Welcome Back Kotter?
I have an autographed picture of Horseshack and Epstein. But any way as stated it is great to see you post again. You are King Elvis!!

“Philip Lean is a ****”

Location hidden

#12803 Oct 9, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
To King Elvis : I'll take your word for it. You have an incredible memory. I know I was up waiting on one of my favorite shows, it may have been something else. Nevertheless they sure don't make shows like that anymore. Do You remember Welcome Back Kotter?
I have an autographed picture of Horseshack and Epstein. But any way as stated it is great to see you post again. You are King Elvis!!
Yeah, I liked Kotter back in the day.

My favourite show of all time is, believe it or not, Bewitched. I have an autographed picture of Elizabeth Montgomery.

Since: Jun 13

Fuquay Varina, NC

#12804 Oct 9, 2013
Observer Rules wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, Rick, for God's sake, not even you could fall for The Colonel's rhetoric re Aloha!
The only time the billion figure was mentioned was by The Colonel in 1972 when he said the show had a POTENTIAL viewership of over a billion.
Later, this figure was NEVER proven, not by any ratings figures, nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch.
Firstly, the population in 1973 was 3,941,550,996
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population...
andmost of the world didn't have a TV then.
Secondly, here below is a repeat of what I posted on the matter - four years ago, well before Alan - to another fan. All of the figures listed below can be confirmed with a few clicks.
Just because EPE says something doesn't make it so. Use your head and your logic. The figures for the magic Aloha billion simply don't add up. Read ALL of this, Rick, an do the math.
Never let facts get in the way of a good story, eh?
King Elvis
"Here you go ...
Firstly, it was nowhere near 40 countries that saw the show live.
Secondly, the entire world population in 1973 was 3.8 billion or so. So, if one billion watched Aloha, that means one quarter of the world's population saw it. This is pure nonsense.
So, let's assume there were one billion citizens in the countries that saw Aloha in '73 (which of course there wereen't). You'd still need a) each person to have access to a TV and b) every TV to be tuned in to Aloha for that magic one billion figure.
I am a huge Elvis fan, for 40 years now. I always give credit where it's due.
But the idea that over a billion watched Aloha in '73 is a) nonsense and b) mathematically and geometrically IMPOSSIBLE.
Some stats: all figures are from 1973.
US population: 211 million. Now, we now that not every TV was tuned in for Aloha; let's give a very generous 50%- that takes potential viewers down to 105 million or so.
AUSTRALIA: 13 million. Only Sydney and Melbourne took it live, so that's just 2 million left. Again, let's give a generous 50% viewership for Aloha - so that's down to 1 million. And I know the figures for Oz weren't anywhere near 50%.
JAPAN: 108 million. It's said that 75% of the population watched Aloha. So that means 81 million watched.
See where I'm going with this?
EUROPE: Too many countries to list. Obviously, not every country took Aloha. But for this argument, let's say they did. Total 1973 population was roughly 415 million.
Note: Europe has always roughly had 11% of the world's population. This stat even holds true today.
So, let's add these figures shall we?
211 million +
13 million +
108 million +
415 million
= 747 million.
Heck, let's round it up to 800 million.
Heck, I'll even throw in ALL of Australia for you. So that's 813 million.
And coz I'm a nice guy, I'll even presume every single TV was tuned in to Aloha ... so maybe even add another few million just to be safe.
So - and with exaggerations and many long bows drawn - it's still only just over 800 million. Even if every TV in the US watched Aloha, it's still not even close.
NOT a billion, and certainly not 1.5 billion.
And if you take the US out, because they never saw it live, then you're left with roughly 600 million who may have seen Aloha live.
Hey, I'll even throw you another 100 million Aloha viewers for your trouble.
See? STILL not a billion.
Not even a US billion (1000 million) and definitely not an English billion (one million million).
All this, of course, means more people watched the Moon Landing than Aloha; something EPE likes to reverse when describing this wonderful event.
These facts are indesputable and can be found if one looks.
One again: ALOHA FROM HAWAII WAS NOT VIEWED BY ONE BILLION PEOPLE WHEN IT AIRED IN 1973."
That reminds me, the media also made up counts of how many people watched the Beatles' UK performance to "All You Need is Love" in late '67 and the "hundreds of millions" who watched MJ's "Black or White" video. They brought some ridiculous numbers then too. Thanks for this.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12812 Oct 10, 2013
Apparently you didn't read what I SAID,CHEESEASS,WHOLE FAMILIES WATCHED TV TOGETHER IN THOSE YEARS,TELEVISION WAS `FAMLY FRIENDLY',MEANING THAT RATINGS ARE COUNTED BY THE NUMBER OF TELEVISION SETS AND DONT COUNT THE FACT THAT 2,3,4 OR MORE PEOPLE MIGHT BE WATCHING THAT ONE TV SET.My whole family watched `ALOHA FROM HAWAII' together,and based on that fact ALONE there's NO DOUBT that `ALOHA FROM HAWAII' actually EXEEDED a billion people,and a burnout llke you will NEVER convince me otherwise,so SAVE YOUR BREATH,PEANUT BRITTLE BRAIN,and drink your `old milwaukee,SEE YA'.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#12813 Oct 10, 2013
And Octo,Mcfartney's new album should not be called `new' but `OLD',I agree with you 100 percent on the album cover,too,UGLY as hell,I think it's time for 'ol giblet jowels to hang up the bass guitar and concentrate on more important things,LIKE BREATHING,`OL MCFARTNEY,VEGGIE TURD KING,peace out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 'Fast and Furious' Drama Continues: Tyrese Shar... Oct 14 ERIC 3
News O.J. Simpson Found Guilty!: He could get life i... (Oct '08) Oct 10 Blm2017 1,989
News Michael Jackson - Michael Jackson Religious Por... (Jun '12) Oct 9 Spotted Wee 96
News Tattle: Janet Jackson for Nutrisystem (Dec '11) Oct 8 rered 5
News Michael Jackson's 'Scream' Is The Perfect Hallo... Oct 3 fat tired old and... 1
White humiliation and slavery (Jan '16) Oct 3 Wolfman Jenkins 23
News NFL's embrace of Timberlake a racist, sexist joke Oct 1 Sharon 1
More from around the web