150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

150 Best Selling Artists in the World!

There are 12898 comments on the talk.livedaily.com story from Dec 6, 2008, titled 150 Best Selling Artists in the World! . In it, talk.livedaily.com reports that:

This is a list of the top 150 worldwide best-selling music artists of all time. The measure is the total number of singles and albums sold world-widep, this info comes from the IFIP at the end of 2007. Michael Jackson is #2 with 350 million sold.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at talk.livedaily.com.

Octopus

Glens Falls, NY

#11865 Jul 10, 2013
I've never bought an Elvis recording based on how much it sold. I would simply buy what I did not have yet as I built up my Elvis collection. When the CD format first came out, there was very little available on Elvis in that format. I bought Elvis's entire catalog on CD in the 90's, which included the original albums, the double features, box sets and new releases. It has slowed down in recent years but I basically search for Elvis imports or bootleg material. Still finding more Elvis but I do not desire another useless "Best Of" package or previously released material under another title. Sony is actually worse than RCA and their Elvis releases offer very little that is new.
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11866 Jul 10, 2013
Sony and RCA both turned me down when I went looking for a lable to sell my CD's. Dang guys just wouldn't even give me a listen.
King Elvis

Surry Hills, Australia

#11874 Jul 11, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Gentlemen: Countless RCA executives including but not limited to, Former RCA Vice President Joan Deary and President Rocco Laginestra all released numerous press clippings in connection to the astronomical amount of Presley records sold in the wake and aftermath of his death. Moreover independent and respectable magazines such as Billboard, Cashbox, Variety and Goldmine also ascertained these record sales figures I have just mentioned. Furthermore these record sales figures were the reason that Colonel Parker was removed as principal business executor and business manager for Presley's estate by an attorney named Blanchard Tual who was appointed by the court to act in the best interest of Lisa Marie(Presleys daughter). It seemed Colonel Parker never wanted RCA to disclose these figures due to the fact that he was unjustly enriching himself through the sales of Presley Products,including the issue at hand which is Elvis
Presley record Sales. Finally this led to the Washington Post story of 1982 which stated that Elvis Presley had become the only artist to have sold one billion records. This is the same newspaper that was responsible for for issuing the story about the Watergate break-in which led Richard Nixon's ouster. I have a collection of over 80 Elvis books including two Elvis Presley encyclopedias. They all document the exact numbers which i have divulged to you.
Take the time to actually READ this link I provided, Victor.

Elvis did not reach the billion mark in 1982, it came much later than that.

http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/one_billion_r...

Since: Jun 13

Fuquay Varina, NC

#11875 Jul 11, 2013
I've no doubt Elvis sold tons of millions of records. I myself have been confused as to how much but I do agree, it's way up there. Col. Tom Parker is partially to blame for the mess concerning Elvis' record sales. The Beatles had some inflation on their sales, it's claimed. Same could be said about MJ in the '80s onwards. Some so-called "MJ sales researchers" for example inflated his Motown/post-J5 Jacksons numbers and some inflation could be explained for some albums (Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, definitely HIStory, Blood on the Dance Floor and Invincible).
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11879 Jul 12, 2013
Hello King Elvis : I have read the article you provided many times. They are a lot of inconsistencies in this particular article. Namely the accusations about former RCA executive Don Wardell making up figures as if to inflate Presley 's record's sales tabulations. To reiterate, going back in time it was the constant news periodicals from highly respected magazines and newspapers columns I mentioned last time divulging this unprecedented record sales phenomena after Presley's death. To be fair about this matter, we will probably never know the exact figures due to the illicit business shenanigans of Colonel Tom Parker (Presley's Manager). I do remember Presley's astronomical record sales in 1977 and 1978. I was 14 at the time and record stores nationwide were having problems keeping up with the public clamor and demand for Elvis Presley's recording's on vinyl. Moreover this is why the highly respected Washington Post, the same newspaper who broke the story on the Watergate burglary that led to president Nixon's resignation, gave this front page account pertaining to Presley's reaching the one billion mark in record sales. At the time musical pundits and historians were all in agreement and seemed somewhat in awe of this happening. Future generation of Elvis critics and non-Elvis fans will probably always dispute the validity of these record sales figures. However we can all reach the same agreement by the people who are my age and were living at the time. That this record sales phenomena has never been duplicated by any other artist again, in the history of popular music.
Bub

Bothell, WA

#11880 Jul 12, 2013
Victor Abreu wrote:
Hello King Elvis : I have read the article you provided many times. They are a lot of inconsistencies in this particular article. Namely the accusations about former RCA executive Don Wardell making up figures as if to inflate Presley 's record's sales tabulations. To reiterate, going back in time it was the constant news periodicals from highly respected magazines and newspapers columns I mentioned last time divulging this unprecedented record sales phenomena after Presley's death. To be fair about this matter, we will probably never know the exact figures due to the illicit business shenanigans of Colonel Tom Parker (Presley's Manager). I do remember Presley's astronomical record sales in 1977 and 1978. I was 14 at the time and record stores nationwide were having problems keeping up with the public clamor and demand for Elvis Presley's recording's on vinyl. Moreover this is why the highly respected Washington Post, the same newspaper who broke the story on the Watergate burglary that led to president Nixon's resignation, gave this front page account pertaining to Presley's reaching the one billion mark in record sales. At the time musical pundits and historians were all in agreement and seemed somewhat in awe of this happening. Future generation of Elvis critics and non-Elvis fans will probably always dispute the validity of these record sales figures. However we can all reach the same agreement by the people who are my age and were living at the time. That this record sales phenomena has never been duplicated by any other artist again, in the history of popular music.
Well stated Victor. Elvis wasn't called the King for nothing.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11881 Jul 12, 2013
Thank you Bub, there can be no dispute in the validity of your statement. Only time will tell if the Recording Industry Association of America can give credit where credit is due, and finally correct the erroneous paltry sum of certified 134.5 million records sold that they seem to state in their archives for Presley's United States sales. This is a sorry state of affairs in correlation to their certified Presley album sales tabulations. Elvis Presley is not just the King of Rock and Roll Music. He is by far, the greatest, most successful recording act in the history of recorded music.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11883 Jul 13, 2013
Dear King Elvis : Moreover and in conclusion this particular article does not address in way shape or form the 1977-1978 record sales period in the wake and aftermath of Presley's death. But to reiterate, and in conclusion of all articles in magazines and periodical journals imprinted at the time, all seem to indicate that it was in 1982 when Presley reached that coveted billion mark figure in record sales.
Due to the omissions in this 1977 to 1978 Presley sales period I find this article inconclusive and unsubstantiated with fallacy. I due thank you for your time in providing this news link.
Willie Nelson

Bothell, WA

#11886 Jul 15, 2013
Well done,Elmer Jackson.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11887 Jul 15, 2013
Victor,you are 100 percent right on the money with everything you have said regarding how the RIAA and the RIAA controlled IFIP IS TOTALLY RIPPING ELVIS OFF.Since 1956,there have been around 430 Elvis albums released,including around 125 Elvis albums sold through special licensing arrangements with other companies through Elvis's record label,RCA.What does that mean,you ask,it means that since Elvis has been awarded 90 gold,52 platinum,and 25 multiplatinum albums by the RIAA THE SALES OF 340 PLUS ALBUMS,58 SINGLES AND 14 EXTENDED PLAY ALBUMS ARE TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY UNACCOUNTED FOR BY THE RIAA,THAT'S WHAT.A nd to add insult to injury,what you pointed out about the missing 12 months of Elvis's record sales after his death,and the hundreds of millions of record sales achieved there further underscores the brilliant points you have made,and King Elvis,YOU'RE A KANGAROO BANGING PINHEAD,peace out.
RICK

Midlothian, IL

#11888 Jul 15, 2013
And to add FURTHER insult to injury,the `in between'sales of his CERTIFIED records,sales in between certification levels UNCOUNTED by the RIAA,EXCEEDS 60 MILLION album sales,and EVEN MORE MILLIONS IN SINGLE AND EP SALES AS WELL,these organizations are a complete and total JOKE,peace out.
Elmer Jackson

Seattle, WA

#11889 Jul 15, 2013
Yep all my CD's are uncertified and unaccounted for by RIAA. IFIP has not even bothered to count how many Cd's I've sold in Wal Mart parking lots and how many I've sold at truck stops.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11891 Jul 15, 2013
To Rick : I agree with you wholeheartedly. I would like to expand and amplify your substantiated claims pertaining to the RIAA discrepancies. There are over 85 to 90 albums that have gone over the million mark that for some dishonest reason have not received RIAA sales certification. Some of these albums have sold over a million copies in all formats. Including but not limited to,"For LP Fans Only" A Date With Elvis" "Pot Luck" and many soundtracks such as "Fun in Acapulco", "It Happened At The Worlds Fair" "Harem Scarum","Double Trouble" and Paradise Hawaiian Style". Moreover many of the albums released in the 1970' such as "Love Letters from Elvis" "Elvis Today" "Good Times' and Promised Land have not been certified. I believe that many of these albums sold easily over a million copies especially in the aftermath of his death. Yet there is no veracity only discrepancies in connection to the RIAA sales tabulation and certification.Of course there are many more albums that meet the sales criteria and need a thorough sales research in total accountability figures by this United States trade organization known as the Recording Industry association of America. Thanks for your input Rick.

Since: Jun 13

Fuquay Varina, NC

#11894 Jul 15, 2013
Here's food for thought: isn't it the IFPI and not IFIP? I just wonder how many people skimmed over it lol

I think sales researchers would have a headache with calculating up all of Elvis' sales since he released like a trillion albums lol of course that whole thing with Col. Parker further messed things up.
Victor Abreu

Miami Beach, FL

#11897 Jul 16, 2013
To BadMan84 : You are absolutely correct, we will probably never know, due to the illicit business activities of Colonel Tom Parker(Presley's manager). Nick Keene who wrote the article "lifting the lid on Elvis record sales", stated in a recent E-mail to me, that the documentation for the lost sales are probably stored in a dingy New York City warehouse. Unfortunately, it is a shame that the most productive sales period of Elvis Presley's career being that 1977 to 1979 period will never be fully disclose by any factual data or any independent audited figures. This is why it is so painful among Elvis fans to read that the RIAA only gives him credit for 134.5 million albums as pertaining to the totality of shipped units on record established by the Recording Industry Association of America.
Hopefully one day this unequivocal erroneous tabulation can be corrected, giving Presley credit for these astronomical lost sales. It is amazing that he has a combined total of 257 Gold, Platinum and MultiPlatinum albums and singles, way ahead of the 2nd place Beatles who's combined total is 148.
Yet, due to the 1977 to 1979 lost sales and the other discrepancies intertwined in the unaccounted Presley record sales, he remains number 2 in the United States best selling list, behind the Beatles. This is why I believe, that it will only be a matter of time when this erroneous tabulation shall be corrected, establishing Presley where he belongs, in the upper echelon as the greatest recording act in the history of recorded music.
King Elvis

Sydney, Australia

#11900 Jul 16, 2013
Elmer wrote:
<quoted text>Kiss my butt Aussie jerkoff. I wasn't talking about Elvis . I never stold anything from Elvis you ignoramus fisheyed fool.
Wrong KE again, Elmer, you should've realised not to respond.

It's post will be deleted yet again by Topix soon enough ...
Elmer Jackson

Renton, WA

#11901 Jul 16, 2013
King Elvis wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong KE again, Elmer, you should've realised not to respond.
It's post will be deleted yet again by Topix soon enough ...
Good the sooner the better.Damn Bogus KE.
Yasmina Bowie

London, UK

#11904 Jul 17, 2013
Everyone check out the King of Pop tonight at 9pm on Vintage TV - the best music channel EVER! They'll be playing a selection of his greatest hits such as 'Thriller', Beat It' and 'Billie Jean'. So TUNE IN to Vintage TV on Sky 369, Virgin 343 or Freesat 515. Follow them on Twitter [email protected] or 'like' them on Facebook - Vintage TV.
xxxxx

Birmingham, UK

#11907 Jul 17, 2013
Elmer wrote:
<quoted text> You are the reaL unfair KING Dickum.who plays your stupid troll games. Show some respect for the Almost famous Elmer Jackson Radio Waves/Dickum Dork King. You are bogus and the only thing you are king of is King Nose picker.
Well said Elmer Jackson.
xxxxx

Birmingham, UK

#11908 Jul 17, 2013
Yasmina Bowie wrote:
Everyone check out the King of Pop tonight at 9pm on Vintage TV - the best music channel EVER! They'll be playing a selection of his greatest hits such as 'Thriller', Beat It' and 'Billie Jean'. So TUNE IN to Vintage TV on Sky 369, Virgin 343 or Freesat 515. Follow them on Twitter [email protected] or 'like' them on Facebook - Vintage TV.
I only have free view.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Black Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miss Greater Richmond wins Miss Virginia Sun Rb RECORDS 1
White Male Privilege now on I tumes Jun 25 Revelation 1
News Ex-manager Says OJ Confessed (May '08) Jun 25 sunnyt 53
News Jesse Ventura to appeal vacating of $1.8 millio... Jun 25 Hostis Publicus 3
News Elvis Presley Eclipses Michael Jackson (Jul '09) Jun 21 love 53,065
News Who's the King, Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley,... (Dec '09) Jun 21 love 7,215
News Michael Jackson Called A 'wonderful Humanitarian' (Jul '09) Jun 20 Anonymous 7,645
More from around the web